Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weight Loss Competition

6 40.00%
  • Exercise(mileage) Competition

9 60.00%

Thread: Fitness Challenge

Fitness Challenge

I have been thinking about getting something rolling to help everyone with improving their fitness and wellness. There are two thoughts. First would be a weight loss competition. Second would be some sort of mileage competition, combining all of the typical modalities(cycling, running, swimming). We would set a 3 month challenge.

Put in your opinion and we will try to get something going by the time of the first game.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I'm in. Great idea. It should also allow for gym workouts. I do a lot if spin classes and treadmills. Perhaps some kind of calories burned component or a mileage equivalent. On the mbfkacuf we did one w some kind of component entry system. I will try to find it and remember how exactly it was organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yep. I really need to get on the bike and lace up the sneakers. This would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I have been thinking about getting something rolling to help everyone with improving their fitness and wellness. There are two thoughts. First would be a weight loss competition. Second would be some sort of mileage competition, combining all of the typical modalities(cycling, running, swimming). We would set a 3 month challenge.

Put in your opinion and we will try to get something going by the time of the first game.
    I'm fine with either. I mainly need to drop about 15 pounds, and this would help!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm in. Just what I need to get my fat fanny moving.

I would like to do it as well, but I would be interested in factoring in weights somehow. I am trying to put on some (not a lot) mass. I will do cardio as well.
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    I would like to do it as well, but I would be interested in factoring in weights somehow. I am trying to put on some (not a lot) mass. I will do cardio as well.
    One thing would be to use some calculations factoring in calories burned off of a calculator of some sort. Then you can put the activity you did, the time you did, the distance, and the calories burned or some combination. Weight training to be included, cardio could be included, swimming to be included etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm in. Need to lose some weight. This would be a great motivator.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

I chose weight loss challenge but I would be good with both. I am in a bit of a rut on my weight loss and would like an extra motivator.

I'm with Dawminator, is there something we can do for us weight lifters? Maybe some way we can track personal records? I've had the thought of doing a mini NFL combine type stuff, ie: 40 time, vertical, broad jump, 3 cone, Bench press of 225 lbs.

If we've already lost some weight, can we somehow prorate that into this challenge?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'll join. Always nice to have a group of people helping you along your journey.

I liked the concept (from the BFKACUF) of a mileage contest. That seems the easiest way to allow those that have already lost some weight, or are consistent at staying fit to contribute and compete. Perhaps some activities such as weightlifting, swimming, basketball, etc. can be formulated into miles somehow.

It could be broken into teams, set a group goal, or have individual winners in different categories such as most consistent, most overall miles, most improved, etc.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Bumping the thread as the poll ends Friday
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    This is where I'm at as well, or at least trying to get started at again. I'm doing more weigh training than cardio to help develop more muscle to help me be less of a fat ass.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    This is where I'm at as well, or at least trying to get started at again. I'm doing more weigh training than cardio to help develop more muscle to help me be less of a fat ass.
    I"m in for whatever.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I"m in for whatever.
    Me too

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I'd like to revive this idea. As it gets colder and the big food holidays loom, I need something to help motivate me to get out of bed and exercise in the morning. I'd like to have it run for the last 3 months of the year, so we could start tracking October 1st.

I'd like to do something where we track progress as a group, rather than compete against each other? TMBFKACUF did something similar last year, where they tried to cumulatively run across the US in a certain time frame.

We could use some sort of conversion scale (quick example) to convert different activities into miles via calories burned. So playing basketball or lifting weights can be converted into the equivalent miles run (about 140 calories per mile). Walking, Jogging, and running will be logged as actual miles.

I'll try to put together some guidelines this weekend, as well as a spreadsheet we can post online for people to log their miles. Post any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, smartass comments, etc. you may have.

I'm all for this. Thank you.

I'm in.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

In like Flynn

I'm fine with both goals and would want to Cycle as my main activity of miles logged.

Questions about data collection and monitoring persist. Perhaps we use one of the online services where you pony up a reputation bet and it goes to a charity you despise if you don't follow through... Like BYU Athletic Dept.?

October 1 launch point for beginning?
    Last edited by Sisyphus; 09-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    "But I tried didn't I? ... at least I did that."

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    I'm fine with both goals and would want to Cycle as my main activity of miles logged.

Questions about data collection and monitoring persist. Perhaps we use one of the online services where you pony up a reputation bet and it goes to a charity you despise if you don't follow through... Like BYU Athletic Dept.?

October 1 launch point for beginning?
    I am in too. I need to lose 20. My son uses a smartphone app called My Fitness Pal. It may be usable here to get uniform data. There are surely lots of apps that could help that way.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell