Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Think Blue - Go Dodgers!

Kershaw pitches the Boys back into first place with a dominant shutout of the Western Bay Area franchise.

Kershaw pitched his second shutout and fourth complete game of the season, limiting the Giants to two hits and a walk in a 5-0 victory for the Dodgers at AT&T Park.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Think Blue - Go Dodgers!

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Well, we we learned one thing last night and were reminded of another. We learned that Alberto is less classy than we thought. We were reminded that Yasiel's baseball IQ still needs some work. Duh. That said, I'll predict: when both players' careers are over Puig will have better numbers than Pujols.

Albert Pujols tags up after Yasiel Puig's nonchalant catch, mocks him afterward

Last edited by LA Ute; 08-05-2014 at 12:52 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Maybe tonight will be a different story.

image.jpg

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll predict: when both players' careers are over Puig will have better numbers than Pujols.
    I'll take that bet. You have to remember Pujols was the undisputed best hitter in baseball for quite a while. He's nowhere near that player since he joined the Angels, but he amassed a pretty impressive base well before that.

I'll take that bet. You have to remember Pujols was the undisputed best hitter in baseball for quite a while. He's nowhere near that player since he joined the Angels, but he amassed a pretty impressive base well before that.
    I'll admit, it is an audacious bet. You're on. I hope I'm still living when Puig retires, however.

Re Pujols: When you are already destined for the Hall of Fame, cheap public mocking of another player is a bad idea. In my totally unbiased opinion, of course.

--Yeats

Puig is too much of a head case to bet on him long term. He is going to have to mature or could flame easily. BTW, i thought Pujols was very classy; Puig deserved it for disrespecting him. It also sounds like there was a bunch of other stuff between them. If you are Puig, you dont disrespect a hall of famer. he has a lot to learn.

I want in on that action.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Puig is too much of a head case to bet on him long term. He is going to have to mature or could flame easily. BTW, i thought Pujols was very classy; Puig deserved it for disrespecting him. It also sounds like there was a bunch of other stuff between them. If you are Puig, you dont disrespect a hall of famer. he has a lot to learn.

I want in on that action.
    everything in this post is 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The bolded portion is correct. Everything else is Anaheim Franchise propaganda. I'm surprised at you. Do you see the tears in Sandy's eyes on your avatar? If you keep this up I'm going to move to have your Dodger fan card pulled.

BTW, you might be giving Puig too much credit. I don't think he is baseball-smart enough to disrespect Pujols.

--Yeats

--Yeats

What happens when a runner challenges Yasiel Puig's arm (and Puig is awake):

https://securea.mlb.com/video/play.j...nt_id=35150483

--Yeats

What happens when a runner challenges Yasiel Puig's arm (and Puig is awake):

https://securea.mlb.com/video/play.j...nt_id=35150483
    That throw was a thing of beauty last night. Doesn't get much better than that. Puig's talent is off the chart.

Further evidence of Kershaw's awesomeness.

http://www.dodgersnation.com/video-k...lay/2014/08/10

--Yeats

Nats out last LA in 14!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Nats out last LA in 14!
    Yeah, I just got through the traffic jam. Well, at least the Giants lost too.

--Yeats

Dodgers 17, Giants 0.

It was one game, but it was some kinda game. It was the biggest shutout victory between the two teams in their long history.

This should have been a terrifying statistic: The Dodgers left 14 men on base. Not so bad when you’re scoring 17 runs and are 11-for-17 with runners in scoring position.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...913-story.html

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Nats out last LA in 14!
    Checking in late in reaction to this game. I listened to almost the whole game and what fun it was. Got on the Amtrak in New Haven, CT in the second inning and just as I was getting off the train in Washington, it ended. Even a week and half later, still can't believe Clippard gave up that homer to Crawford and still can't believe LaRoche hit that homer off Jansen. Good thing I was not on the quiet car when all that happened, I would have been kicked off.

The Superbas better not wish for a match-up against the Nats this year. Hoo-boy!!

This is a Dodgers thread, you trolls!

(I kid. Hey, how come no one wants to talk about that 17-0 game?)

--Yeats

(I kid. Hey, how come no one wants to talk about that 17-0 game?)
    How about this. The Superbas had a pitcher get a homer. It is always fun to see a pitcher get a homer. Of course, Greinke is a good choice as a pitcher to get any kind of hit as he is one of the best hitting pitchers with his career .220 average and now 4 career homers and .607(!) career OPS.
    Last edited by LuckyUte; 09-14-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Kershaw is a good hitter too. Anyway, I like the Nats a lot and pull for them. In fact, I don't dislike any franchise in particular, except for the Yankees, and I am mellowing out even about them. A little, anyway.

--Yeats

I don't dislike any franchise in particular, except for the Yankees, and I am mellowing out even about them. A little, anyway.
    How can you dislike the Yankees? Aren't the Yankees and the Dodgers pretty much the same franchise?

How can you dislike the Yankees? Aren't the Yankees and the Dodgers pretty much the same franchise?
    The Dodgers have better weather, and their fans are much nicer people.

--Yeats

Close. They are only 21 Championships apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Close. They are only 21 Championships apart.
    That's true. I suppose the Dodgers are to the Yankees as BYU is to Notre Dame.

That's true. I suppose the Dodgers are to the Yankees as BYU is to Notre Dame.
    This is pretty cheeky smack coming from a fan of the Anaheim franchise.

--Yeats

Dodgers' magic number for a playoff berth now 5.

--Yeats

yikes .... Dodger pitcher(s) give up 11 hits and 8 runs in the bottom of the first.

Giants still have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    yikes .... Dodger pitcher(s) give up 11 hits and 8 runs in the bottom of the first.

Giants still have a chance.
    If we were talking about the Red Sox I'd be worried.

--Yeats

Frias was the first player in MLB history to give up 10 hits without getting 3 outs.

I feel it's important to keep LA Ute abreast of baseball history.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 09-17-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Frias was the first player in MLB history to give up 10 hits without getting 3 outs.

I feel it's important to keep LA Ute abreast of baseball history.
    lalalala-listening.jpg

--Yeats