Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Think Blue - Go Dodgers!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    what a relief, the Dodgers shored up a weakness and finally added an outfielder
    One with a gun:

http://m.dodgers.mlb.com/lad/video/v...pr=45084588507

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Last night, Kenley Jansen made his 2015 season debut. Struck out four batters in ONE inning. On 14 pitches. No big deal.

--Yeats

Cool article by Billy Bean about being invited to participate in the Dodgers old-timers game.

http://m.dodgers.mlb.com/news/articl...ld-timers-game

I had forgotten that Billy was once a Dodger.

The old and the new:

koufaxpuig.jpg

--Yeats

I don't think I've ever seen an umpire do this.

https://www.facebook.com/mlb/videos/...type=2&theater

--Yeats

If the playoffs started today, LA would Host the Nationals. Kershaw vs. Scherzer, that'd be quite a series.

For now, we'll just have to settle for working you chumps over this weekend.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    If the playoffs started today, LA would Host the Nationals. Kershaw vs. Scherzer, that'd be quite a series.

gauntlet.jpg

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

I think you mean Greinke vs. Scherzer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I think you mean Greinke vs. Scherzer.
    Public service announcement: The above post was made by an ardent fan of the Anaheim franchise. Move along, nothing to see here.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Public service announcement: The above post was made by an ardent fan of the Anaheim franchise. Move along, nothing to see here.
    As such, thanks for trading us Andrew Heaney.

Grienke was pretty nasty yesterday.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Jansen putting away the Anaheim franchise tonight at the Ravine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

If it makes any of you feel better, I hate the Mets too.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Ugh. Our two aces -- two of the top three pitchers in baseball -- lose at home in the first round.

--Yeats

Ugh. Our two aces -- two of the top three pitchers in baseball -- lose at home in the first round.

Kershaw and Greinke combined to pitch 27 1/3 innings and give up 9 ER. That's an ERA under 3 in the playoffs. The loss of this series isn't on them at all, it's on the offense that couldn't score.

Kershaw and Greinke combined to pitch 27 1/3 innings and give up 9 ER. That's an ERA under 3 in the playoffs. The loss of this series isn't on them at all, it's on the offense that couldn't score.
    Exactly.

--Yeats

They needed Koufax not his pretenders.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    They needed Koufax not his pretenders.
    Even the great one usually needed more than two runs to win.

--Yeats

Even the great one usually needed more than two runs to win.

no they didn't. The 65-66 Dodgers were the most anemic offense in the history of World Series participants. (maybe a slight exaggeration but not much.) Their offense was a walk to Wills a stolen base or two and a sac fly.

That is what made Koufax and Drydale so great, imho. That is why Koufax was need this week. (Im biased of course)

no they didn't. The 65-66 Dodgers were the most anemic offense in the history of World Series participants. (maybe a slight exaggeration but not much.) Their offense was a walk to Wills a stolen base or two and a sac fly.

That is what made Koufax and Drydale so great, imho. That is why Koufax was need this week. (Im biased of course)
    The interesting thing in a Koufax-Kershaw comparison is that due to Koufax's injuries and slow start to his career (relatively speaking, of course), Kershaw has already had a better career than Koufax, and Kershaw is only 27. Of course, as you noted, Koufax pretty much single-handedly won the 1965 WS. He only pitched one game in the 1966 WS, and allowed 4 runs in 6 innings in a loss.

The interesting thing in a Koufax-Kershaw comparison is that due to Koufax's injuries and slow start to his career (relatively speaking, of course), Kershaw has already had a better career than Koufax, and Kershaw is only 27. Of course, as you noted, Koufax pretty much single-handedly won the 1965 WS. He only pitched one game in the 1966 WS, and allowed 4 runs in 6 innings in a loss.
    He lost 4-0 because Willlie Davis had three errors in centerfield in the sixth inning.

He lost 4-0 because Willlie Davis had three errors in centerfield in the sixth inning.
    "It's not my wife; it's not my life. It's just a game."

And Koufax did pitch well in that game (only 1 ER), but I brought that game up more for the fact that Koufax's post-season impact was really limited to that incredible 1965 WS. A 27-year-old Kershaw has already had a better career than Koufax.

"It's not my wife; it's not my life. It's just a game."

And Koufax did pitch well in that game (only 1 ER), but I brought that game up more for the fact that Koufax's post-season impact was really limited to that incredible 1965 WS. A 27-year-old Kershaw has already had a better career than Koufax.
    1963 too (although one game).

Koufax also won the 1963, 1965, and 1966 pennants singlehandedly (well Drysdale too). Woudl have won 62 but for his injured finger mid July.

P.s. where Koufax is concerned, it is my life for better or worse.

Until Kershaw wins the big one consistently, he can't compare. Hopefully his arm doesnt break down at 32 like Koufax's did.

1963 too (although one game).

Koufax also won the 1963, 1965, and 1966 pennants singlehandedly (well Drysdale too). Woudl have won 62 but for his injured finger mid July.

P.s. where Koufax is concerned, it is my life for better or worse.

Until Kershaw wins the big one consistently, he can't compare. Hopefully his arm doesnt break down at 32 like Koufax's did.

I also think it's fair to say that Kershaw had just as much to do with the Dodgers' making the playoffs the last 3 years as Koufax did in '63, '65, and '66. Obviously Kershaw hasn't done anything close to what Koufax did in the '65 WS, but I'm not sure that's enough to make up for Kershaw's longer string of superior regular season performances.

I'm just saying the Dodgers' failures are not Kershaw's or Greinke's fault. They're headed for the Hall of Fame. I also think MLB offenses are much more prolific these days, FWIW.

All that said, Koufax's and Drysdale's greatness will never be eclipsed.

--Yeats

I also think it's fair to say that Kershaw had just as much to do with the Dodgers' making the playoffs the last 3 years as Koufax did in '63, '65, and '66. Obviously Kershaw hasn't done anything close to what Koufax did in the '65 WS, but I'm not sure that's enough to make up for Kershaw's longer string of superior regular season performances.
    I am sure. If you think I am going to give you the last word on Koufax, you are sadly mistaken. I can outlast you.

80 years old today.

koufax.jpg

--Yeats

80 years old today.

koufax.jpg
    80? hard to believe. I wonder how good his curve ball is. Does it still break two feet?