Thread: Marshall Henderson Suspended again

Marshall Henderson Suspended again

Marshall was suspended 'indefinitely' today for a violation of team rules. Multiple reports state that it is for 'multiple' failed drug tests

Kid just seems like he's determined to throw his life away, despite many people taking risks to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Marshall was suspended 'indefinitely' today for a violation of team rules. Multiple reports state that it is for 'multiple' failed drug tests

Kid just seems like he's determined to throw his life away, despite many people taking risks to help him.
    I like Marshall's game and I love his antics. There isn't a more interesting, captivating player to watch in college hoops. It's a damn shame he feels he needs drugs to cope or relax. I'm hoping he comes back and I'm hopeful it's only a second strike at Ole Miss, kind of like what Brian Blechen had last year. I'm also hoping someone beats him within an inch of his life and he somehow gets the message through that what he is doing is incredibly self-destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I like Marshall's game and I love his antics. There isn't a more interesting, captivating player to watch in college hoops. It's a damn shame he feels he needs drugs to cope or relax. I'm hoping he comes back and I'm hopeful it's only a second strike at Ole Miss, kind of like what Brian Blechen had last year. I'm also hoping someone beats him within an inch of his life and he somehow gets the message through that what he is doing is incredibly self-destructive.
    Word is he's likely going to be expelled.

His positive tests have been for cocaine in have past, and the sources are claiming he's failed multiple tests in the last few months.

For reference, 3 failed tests for any banned substance at Utah is an automatic permanent removal from the team

Honestly I think basketball feeds his addiction lifestyle. I'm not sure he'll ever be clean when he's playing.

Word is he's likely going to be expelled.

His positive tests have been for cocaine in have past, and the sources are claiming he's failed multiple tests in the last few months.

For reference, 3 failed tests for any banned substance at Utah is an automatic permanent removal from the team

Honestly I think basketball feeds his addiction lifestyle. I'm not sure he'll ever be clean when he's playing.
    Most BCS schools have a similar three-strikes-you're-out policy. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't a third strike at Utah results in expulsion as well.

The thing that's most baffling about Marshall is that he's not a product of the street or inner-city. His dad was a coach and he's from a middle-class upbringing. You figure the light will come on eventually (the primary factor in why I've been insistent about giving a player of his talent multiple chances), but apparently the wick is forever wet in his candle.

Most BCS schools have a similar three-strikes-you're-out policy. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't a third strike at Utah results in expulsion as well.

The thing that's most baffling about Marshall is that he's not a product of the street or inner-city. His dad was a coach and he's from a middle-class upbringing. You figure the light will come on eventually (the primary factor in why I've been insistent about giving a player of his talent multiple chances), but apparently the wick is forever wet in his candle.
    A good chunk of the drug addicts I've met are from similar backgrounds. Often drugs are the rebellion, some grow out of it, some don't.

A good chunk of the drug addicts I've met are from similar backgrounds. Often drugs are the rebellion, some grow out of it, some don't.
    A great many of that group suffer from depression, either undiagnosed or undisclosed. The addiction results from attempts to self-medicate. That may be going on with Marshall. I hope he gets on top of the problem, whatever it is. Otherwise he's looking at a very chaotic (and probably short) life.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A great many of that group suffer from depression, either undiagnosed or undisclosed. The addiction results from attempts to self-medicate. That may be going on with Marshall. I hope he gets on top of the problem, whatever it is. Otherwise he's looking at a very chaotic (and probably short) life.
    You sometimes see drug use by people with ADHD. It's another form of self medication. However, the drug wouldn't be a stimulant, like cocaine Generally a depressant, like pot or opiates. That clearly doesn't apply to Marshall, but just an interesting tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    You sometimes see drug use by people with ADHD. It's another form of self medication. However, the drug wouldn't be a stimulant, like cocaine Generally a depressant, like pot or opiates. That clearly doesn't apply to Marshall, but just an interesting tidbit.
    And in most of the people I deal with, the drug itself starts as one thing and progresses, usually because of their ability to become addicted to something. They kick one substance and move to another....and often think they can stop whenever they want, without help.

The judgement center of the brain matures, on average, at about 25...which is another big issue with addictions in college age kids

I wish we could white out the MH year from our record books. What a disaster. While we are at it, we should get rid of the year after too.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I wish we could white out the MH year from our record books. What a disaster. While we are at it, we should get rid of the year after too.
    But let's not forget that those nightmare years were not Jim Boylen's fault. They were Rick Majerus' and Chris Hill's fault. The main problem was Hill failed to raise enough money to renovate the practice facility.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    But let's not forget that those nightmare years were not Jim Boylen's fault. They were Rick Majerus' and Chris Hill's fault. The main problem was Hill failed to raise enough money to renovate the practice facility.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I think Boylen's friendly and engaging personality jaded a few fans. As time goes on it becomes clearer that the Boylen hire may have been the biggest mistake Hill has made as AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I think Boylen's friendly and engaging personality jaded a few fans. As time goes on it becomes clearer that the Boylen hire may have been the biggest mistake Hill has made as AD.
    Bigger than Greg Winslow?

And Hill sacrificed basketball on the alter of football and Pac 10 invite.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Bigger than Greg Winslow?
    Is Winslow a huge issue?

Ole Miss got Chris Herren to reach out to Marshall per Andy Katz

He called him 6 weeks ago and got voice mail. Marshall has made no attempt to call him back.

Marshall is his own worst enemy (reports are he was pulled over in may and found with a small amount of marihuana and coaches bit the officers did not file charges due to his cooperation and the small amount that was found)

(For those who haven't seen the 30 for 30 film on Chris called "Unguarded" watch it)

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Is Winslow a huge issue?
    not a bigger issue, but a bigger mistake. Boylen didnt warrant an independent investigation obviously.

Ole Miss got Chris Herren to reach out to Marshall per Andy Katz

He called him 6 weeks ago and got voice mail. Marshall has made no attempt to call him back.

Marshall is his own worst enemy (reports are he was pulled over in may and found with a small amount of marihuana and coaches bit the officers did not file charges due to his cooperation and the small amount that was found)

(For those who haven't seen the 30 for 30 film on Chris called "Unguarded" watch it)
    I can vouch for Unguarded. 30 for 30 has done more great hoops films than any other sport, so it's tough to give a superlative to it, but it's definitely worth watching.

Marshall is a moron for not getting back with Herren. I can't respect him anymore if this is truly the case.

Marshall Henderson recently won his local rec league championship!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762742

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Marshall Henderson recently won his local rec league championship!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762742
    This is a story worth reading. I can admire Marshall Henderson again.

This is a story worth reading. I can admire Marshall Henderson again.
    Yes. I'm happy for the guy. He finally seems happy too.

--Yeats