Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giacoletti finalist at Drake

Giacoletti finalist at Drake

http://www.spokesman.com/zags/blogs/...inalist-drake/

This seems to prove my theory that Boylen was a lot worse. You'll never see him a finalist at a school like Drake.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

This seems to prove my theory that Boylen was a lot worse. You'll never see him a finalist at a school like Drake.
    Wasn't Boylen the top choice for the Arizona job when they thought that Sean Miller was turning them down?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Wasn't Boylen the top choice for the Arizona job when they thought that Sean Miller was turning them down?
    I remember that! Man, wouldnt that have been awesome if we had unloaded Jimbo on Arizona back then and not had to deal with the mess he left us in.

Good for Ray!

Isn't Drake where Chris Hines ended up?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I don't believe Arizona ever would have hired him, or was really interested, but that was in 2009, before he'd wrecked our program.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Sooner or later, Giac has to come out from under the wing of Few, unless Few decides to step up to a big time program and takes Giac with him. Not sure what Giac is making as top assistant at Gonzaga, but given the rise and stature of the program in recent years, I'm guessing he's in the $400-600k range, maybe? Not a bad salary backing up Few on the bench of a highly successful program, as well as arguably one of the safest positions to be in, job security wise.

But how long does he want to do that for? I'm guessing he might be looking for a new challenge. Drake would seem to be a nice fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Sooner or later, Giac has to come out from under the wing of Few, unless Few decides to step up to a big time program and takes Giac with him. Not sure what Giac is making as top assistant at Gonzaga, but given the rise and stature of the program in recent years, I'm guessing he's in the $400-600k range, maybe? Not a bad salary backing up Few on the bench of a highly successful program, as well as arguably one of the safest positions to be in, job security wise.

But how long does he want to do that for? I'm guessing he might be looking for a new challenge. Drake would seem to be a nice fit.

No way is Giac making 400 to 600k. more like 250k at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Which lends more credence to my point. He needs to spread his wings a little. A quarter mil/yr ain't too shabby. But he's gotta be getting bored by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Yeah, I'd be shockd if he's earning 4-6. 250k seems high as well. Gonzaga is a poor little school and I doubt the basketball program is a cash cow, playing in that tiny gym, that micro conference, and out there in the sticks. Also, in basketball assistants are more fungible than in football, the head coach is the thing that really matters most. Asst. coaches don't matter unless they have some recruiting magic. Giac is not known as a great recruiter. He's not the reason Gonzaga has been successful.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Just looked it up.... Few makes approx $925k (not sure if this includes bonuses, shoe contract, etc.). If that's the case, you're right, Giac likely well south of the 400-600k I estimated.

Yeah, I'd be shockd if he's earning 4-6. 250k seems high as well. Gonzaga is a poor little school and I doubt the basketball program is a cash cow, playing in that tiny gym, that micro conference, and out there in the sticks. Also, in basketball assistants are more fungible than in football, the head coach is the thing that really matters most. Asst. coaches don't matter unless they have some recruiting magic. Giac is not known as a great recruiter. He's not the reason Gonzaga has been successful.
    Which it makes it all the more remarkable he's been able to linger so long in Spokane. This is not the same argument as Chris Petersen at little ol' Boise. As you said, college football coaching salaries are waaaay different. Petersen I believe is pulling in a minimum 2 mil/year.

After this year's tournament debacle, I'd be surprised he sticks around, while his stock is sky high (regardless of the early exit).

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I remember that! Man, wouldnt that have been awesome if we had unloaded Jimbo on Arizona back then and not had to deal with the mess he left us in.
    At that point, it may not have mattered. Marshall Henderson was already signed, and the roster was getting rolled over with a large group of seniors leaving. Not to say a different coach may have been able to get more out of the likes of Hines, Glover, Cyphers, and Washburn. Just saying that based on the returning roster, the team was due to take a step backwards from the 08-09 team. But, at the time I remember being pretty nervous about him leaving. I thought he took Giac recruits, got them to play tougher, and be more successful than they would have under Giac (no way of knowing if that would have been the case, just my perception at the time).
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Unless Giacoletti has changed substantially, I feel really sorry for Drake if they hire him. I remember the story from North Dakota when Ray Giacoletti was hired by Utah that was prophetic and predicted all of his downfalls at Utah. I seriously doubt that he will ever be a successful head coach. I wish him the best, but don't expect him to really do well anywhere.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    At that point, it may not have mattered. Marshall Henderson was already signed, and the roster was getting rolled over with a large group of seniors leaving. Not to say a different coach may have been able to get more out of the likes of Hines, Glover, Cyphers, and Washburn. Just saying that based on the returning roster, the team was due to take a step backwards from the 08-09 team. But, at the time I remember being pretty nervous about him leaving. I thought he took Giac recruits, got them to play tougher, and be more successful than they would have under Giac (no way of knowing if that would have been the case, just my perception at the time).
    Was Henderson a Boylen recruit or a Giac recruit? I don't remember.

Boylen recruit. I don't think Giacoletti would make that bone headed of a decision.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Boylen, his 2009 class
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Giac will be a disaster unless he picked up a ton under Few. Truth is, he may be a good basketball mind but isn't cut out for HC challenges. He was in way over his head at the U. The stories of practice and the locker room rival Scratch's under 6 soccer league coaching acumen.

I've seen some comparisons to him and Boylen as if he was somehow better, but that is like comparing cancer to heart disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Giac will be a disaster unless he picked up a ton under Few. Truth is, he may be a good basketball mind but isn't cut out for HC challenges. He was in way over his head at the U. The stories of practice and the locker room rival Scratch's under 6 soccer league coaching acumen.

I've seen some comparisons to him and Boylen as if he was somehow better, but that is like comparing cancer to heart disease.
    I haven't heard the locker room tales, but I always thought the main difference between Giac and Boylen was that Giac had some semblance of control over his team. Boylen let Marshall, Jiggy, or whoever else just play. Neither guy could coach a lick.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I haven't heard the locker room tales, but I always thought the main difference between Giac and Boylen was that Giac had some semblance of control over his team. Boylen let Marshall, Jiggy, or whoever else just play. Neither guy could coach a lick.
    I might say that Boylen had the better basketball IQ, but less control. Giac may have had some control (if you can call it that, it may have just been not complete loss of control) but very low aptitude as a HC and much of that aptitude walked out the door with Randy Rahe.

It appears the rumors are true....Giac to Drake.

It appears the rumors are true....Giac to Drake.
    Well, good for him. He is a good guy and I hope he does well. Everyone deserves a chance a redemption. Didn't Majerus get fired at Marquette?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Well, good for him. He is a good guy and I hope he does well. Everyone deserves a chance a redemption. Didn't Majerus get fired at Marquette?
    No.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

No.
    I'm not comparing Maji and Giac, BTW. Big Rick was fairly successful at Marquette, and went 56-35. Things weren't working for him there, though, which led to him spending a single year as an NBA assistant before moving on to Ball State and becoming a superstar coach. Anyway, I wish Giac well.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

No.
    yeah he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I might say that Boylen had the better basketball IQ, but less control. Giac may have had some control (if you can call it that, it may have just been not complete loss of control) but very low aptitude as a HC and much of that aptitude walked out the door with Randy Rahe.
    Agreed. My most vivid memory of Giac's coaching chops came at the Santa Clara game where we were totally outclassed. I was sitting right behind the Utah (visitors) bench. Giac turned to his assistants late in the game and said "How do we get a stop?" They all just looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders. End of discussion.

Agreed. My most vivid memory of Giac's coaching chops came at the Santa Clara game where we were totally outclassed. I was sitting right behind the Utah (visitors) bench. Giac turned to his assistants late in the game and said "How do we get a stop?" They all just looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders. End of discussion.
    I sat near the Utah bench several times during his tenure. It was always a slightly disturbing experience. Sometimes more than slightly.

--Yeats

I sat near the Utah bench several times during his tenure. It was always a slightly disturbing experience. Sometimes more than slightly.
    One of his former players told me sometimes in a timeout he'd pull out his white board and write on it, 'PLAY HARDER.'

Great idea coach, and if it fails then what?

Hope he has come a long way from that.

In a number of discussions with Tim Drisdom, I've come away with the impression that Giac was the most incompetent coach Tim had played for. It's no surprise that what you witnessed happened.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    In a number of discussions with Tim Drisdom, I've come away with the impression that Giac was the most incompetent coach Tim had played for. It's no surprise that what you witnessed happened.
    I am going to sound like a Giac apologist if I keep this up; I really am not fan of Ray. Still, in fairness to him, I think we need to keep in mind that while he was at Utah he suffered from some pretty severe clinical depression. There is no doubt that affected his performance.

--Yeats

I am going to sound like a Giac apologist if I keep this up; I really am not fan of Ray. Still, in fairness to him, I think we need to keep in mind that while he was at Utah he suffered from some pretty severe clinical depression. There is no doubt that affected his performance.
    I was not aware of that, and in light of that I take back everything I've ever said about him. Most people have no idea how crippling that can be, and so many people translate that as laziness, incompetency, etc and think they should just snap out of it.

I'm feeling kind of ashamed now of my harsh criticisms of Jim over the years. I hope he has great success at Drake.