Thread: My Ford Expedition was at risk for an 'accidental' fire

My Ford Expedition was at risk for an 'accidental' fire

Last Thursday I went on the annual fishing trip to Idaho. Just for fun I took my crayfish trap. A few weeks ago I bought & smoked a couple chickens from Costco and froze the liver, hearts and other innards in a baggie for crayfish bait.

For the trip to Idaho I put the frozen baggie in a small ice chest - it was the only thing in the chest. When we got to Idaho I took the baggie out and set the t
    rap in the river. It was still mostly frozen - but apparently not entirely - it leaked a bit in the chest.

The next night a couple of the other fishermen borrowed my SUV to hit the bars (I stayed at the rental). When they got back they told me about the horrid smell in my Expedition. When they left for the bar the smell was overbearing so they checked the vehicle and eventually opened the ice chest. The smell knocked two of them to the ground. They took the chest out but even after a few hours of bar hopping the truck still smelled very bad.

When they got back and told me about it I took a deep breath, opened the windows & moon roof and went to bed. All night I tossed & turned thinking I had ruined the vehicle. I remember Tom & Ray (CarTalk) suggesting the only sure cure for a decomposed mouse in the air vent is fire.

At about 7:00 am I was jolted awake with a very loud thunder clap which was quickly followed by a very heavy downpour. I jumped out of bed to close the windows & moon roof but was felled by a leg cramp. Eventually, I made it to the Expedition with a towel and closed the windows & roof. After mopping up the water the vehicle smells fresh and clean - like a springtime rain in the mountains. Thankfully.

Oh, and I didn't catch any crayfish.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Last Thursday I went on the annual fishing trip to Idaho. Just for fun I took my crayfish trap. A few weeks ago I bought & smoked a couple chickens from Costco and froze the liver, hearts and other innards in a baggie for crayfish bait.

For the trip to Idaho I put the frozen baggie in a small ice chest - it was the only thing in the chest. When we got to Idaho I took the baggie out and set the t
    rap in the river. It was still mostly frozen - but apparently not entirely - it leaked a bit in the chest.

The next night a couple of the other fishermen borrowed my SUV to hit the bars (I stayed at the rental). When they got back they told me about the horrid smell in my Expedition. When they left for the bar the smell was overbearing so they checked the vehicle and eventually opened the ice chest. The smell knocked two of them to the ground. They took the chest out but even after a few hours of bar hopping the truck still smelled very bad.

When they got back and told me about it I took a deep breath, opened the windows & moon roof and went to bed. All night I tossed & turned thinking I had ruined the vehicle. I remember Tom & Ray (CarTalk) suggesting the only sure cure for a decomposed mouse in the air vent is fire.

At about 7:00 am I was jolted awake with a very loud thunder clap which was quickly followed by a very heavy downpour. I jumped out of bed to close the windows & moon roof but was felled by a leg cramp. Eventually, I made it to the Expedition with a towel and closed the windows & roof. After mopping up the water the vehicle smells fresh and clean - like a springtime rain in the mountains. Thankfully.

Oh, and I didn't catch any crayfish.
    This experience may warrant a call in to the Tom & Ray show.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This experience may warrant a call in to the Tom & Ray show.
    Alas, they retired. They still distribute re-runs. The show was dropped in SLC a couple weeks ago.