Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best way to follow Utah Ute football is to join Utefans.net.

Hybrid View

The best way to follow Utah Ute football is to become a member of Utefans.net.

Utefans.net will have spring practice and scrimmage reports and has the most knowledgeable participants. You won't find better info and discussion about football and U of U athletics anywhere outside of Utefans.net.

www.utefans.net
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 02-20-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: I don't have to give a reason for editing.-Neither do I

I've seen Ma'ake post over here today, haven't seen him in ages over there. He's more knowledgeable than most when it comes to Ute football

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    I've seen Ma'ake post over here today, haven't seen him in ages over there. He's more knowledgeable than most when it comes to Ute football
    Ma'ake posts on Utefans.net all the time. I've never seen him post here. Ma'ake will be found at Utefans.net during spring ball, as will anyone else who has connections and is knowledgeable about Ute football.

I know you're just over here to rattle the cage {edit:} Poster-alleged-to-be-Moose. But I'm going to respectfully disagree with your exercise in hyperbole. Utefans.net is a great site for the guys and gals that like it over there. But I think there are a lot of us who are tired of the gimmicks, sarcasm, and general snobbishnes you can encounter on a daily basis.

I'm of the belief that more than 1 UofU board can exist in this world.
    Last edited by Hockeybeard; 02-24-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: OP Misrepresented identity.

No disrespect to utefans, but I much prefer this twenty-first century forum layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    No disrespect to utefans, but I much prefer this twenty-first century forum layout.
    This. They really need to do some upgrades over at utefans.net. The layout and format of the boards suck.

I'm posting this using tapatalk on my phone, a concept they don't seem to get at utefans.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    This. They really need to do some upgrades over at utefans.net. The layout and format of the boards suck.

I'm posting this using tapatalk on my phone, a concept they don't seem to get at utefans.
    I've always accessed utefans on my mobile phone by going directly to their site. Never really had any issues, and thought you guys were kinda full of crap until I tried tapatalk last night for the first time. It was magnificent.
    Last edited by 480ute; 02-21-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    I've always accessed utefans on my mobile phone by going directly to their site. Never really had any issues, and thought you guys were kinda full of shit until I tried tapatalk last night for the first time. It was magnificent.
    Yeah, I resisted Tapatalk for a long time but I almost like reading VB better on it as opposed to my desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Yeah, I resisted Tapatalk for a long time but I almost like reading VB better on it as opposed to my desktop.
    i am in the same camp. the only fault i have found with it is that it doesn't do polls. other than that, it is awesome. the interface is user friendly. i like the "unread posts" option to show the threads that you have been participating in that have new posts since the last time you were there. it's slick.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I had no idea that so many people use their phones for this. I can't really imagine the setting where I would use a phone to browse/post.

I guess if tapatalk is such a big deal to so many people, this site is necessary. Content wise, it seems there's is little difference. I will, of course, go wherever most of the people end up. The whole point to me is to have as many Ute fans as possible in one place.
    If you look at the Who is Online window, over half of the users are on tapatalk
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I believe I speak for many when I say I'm grateful for ufn and what monkey has built over the years. There's a good chance this board never exists without it. And in combination with utezone, the Utah site on scouts.com, and ufn, UB5 exists as another way to fulfill the forum needs of Ute fans across the internets.

Utefans.net is a fine board, and I'm sure many folks here will continue to participate there in some capacity.

Utefans has been a great place over the years. I think that many of the posters here are some of the original posters on Utefans who for various reasons have grown weary of wading through all of the non-Ute related stuff on Utefans looking for more discussions and less name calling.

I got tired of wading through the pages of self gratification over at UFN just to find a small nugget of information. The layout of this board allows each member to get to the info they want quickly. Between being a member of Utezone and this I am confident I will have more football info than UFN.

Quote Originally Posted by kute View Post
    I got tired of wading through the pages of self gratification over at UFN just to find a small nugget of information. The layout of this board allows each member to get to the info they want quickly. Between being a member of Utezone and this I am confident I will have more football info than UFN.

This. UF.N is old technology. It's unorganized, it's old, it's sucks to wade through five empty pages of crap just to see someone post about Sorenson's tweet.

This layout is better. If I'm right, then this site will do great. If I'm wrong, then it will bomb and I'll be back at UF.N soon enough.

Like I said, don't be scared of a little competition. Competition makes everyone better.

Why can't we have both, Chad? I love utefans, and still plan on frequenting there, but being out of state it will be nice to ask a question about our teams once in awhile without getting a bunch of smart ass remarks. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that at times, and lord knows I have mixed it up plenty over there when it comes to being a smart ass, but I look forward to having two places to visit depending on my mood, and/or needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    Why can't we have both, Chad? I love utefans, and still plan on frequenting there, but being out of state it will be nice to ask a question about our teams once in awhile without getting a bunch of smart ass remarks. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that at times, and lord knows I have mixed it up plenty over there when it comes to being a smart ass, but I look forward to having two places to visit depending on my mood, and/or needs.
    There already is another option for Utefans: BlockU.com. There is no need for this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Sexington View Post
    There already is another option for Utefans: BlockU.com. There is no need for this site.
    LOL. Obviously if there was no need for this site, it wouldn't be here.

There are a lot of differences between this site and UF.N. If you don't like them, don't come here. If you do like them, then come here.

Don't be frightened of a little competition. If this place starts doing better then UF.N, then you have two options: Fade into obscurity with sfork and the other douches over there, or improve and get better. You decide.

If UF.N was all it's cracked up to be, this site wouldn't be here.

Also, when it comes to blocku.com, I bet they would LOVE to have another site linking to them.

Judging by the response this site has already received, I'd say it's very much needed and appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get all the Ute news I want both here and at UteZone. Like others, I don't like wading through pages and pages of "nothing". I love this format because it will eliminate that and enable me to follow discussions of interest to me.

To each his own. There's room for everyone.

I don't really understand what you mean. I just waded through pages of nothing to get to your post, which itself was pretty much nothing. Now I am adding yet another content free post of mostly clutter.

So far in a few days, I see no difference between the football content on the two sites. I have yet to see a football insight that I haven't already seen over there.

Doesn't matter to me which site people want to use, but having all the ute fans together makes more sense than having multiple small groups.
    Why do the "multiple small groups" have to be mutually exclusive? In fact, I enjoy being able to browse more than 1 website before my Utah fix is exhausted.

I don't really understand what you mean. I just waded through pages of nothing to get to your post, which itself was pretty much nothing. Now I am adding yet another content free post of mostly clutter.

So far in a few days, I see no difference between the football content on the two sites. I have yet to see a football insight that I haven't already seen over there.

Doesn't matter to me which site people want to use, but having all the ute fans together makes more sense than having multiple small groups.
    It's a pretty simple concept. I can click on the football portion for football, basketball portion for basketball etc

UFN has no way to keep checking threads for new posts, instead you have to find which page it's scrolled back to.

And frankly you didn't have all Ute fans together as many of the hardcore sports fans gave up on Utefans quite some time ago because it has very little sports content that can be accessed easily and quickly, something this site allows

I understand how it works. I understand how the other site works. They are both very easy. People get so uptight about format. I guess I'm not wired that way.

I just like the idea of most Utah fans in one place sharing ideas. I'm trying things out here. So far it's basically the same arguments, ideas, insights, and complaints (which, honestly, how can it not be? fans are fans).
    The best thing about utahby5's format is the fact that you can have an ongoing debate. It wont just be lost in an hour as its pushed to page 5. If you prefer drive by posting and quick hits UF.N can be very accommodating. If you prefer to see debate and discussion that isnt relegated to page 5 in a couple of hours then UB5 is better.

All interesting, meaningful debates resurface on page 1 pretty quickly. You can have good conversations in either format.

Without knowing too many details, I get an impression that this site is about much more than format and content.
    so IF it comes back to page 1 then some people will have to put their argument on again. Additionally since this site it tapatalk enabled following on your phone or tablet is 1000x easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    ...Additionally since this site it tapatalk enabled following on your phone or tablet is 1000x easier.
    For me, this is enough reason in and of itself to like this site.

All interesting, meaningful debates resurface on page 1 pretty quickly. You can have good conversations in either format.

Without knowing too many details, I get an impression that this site is about much more than format and content.
    You are correct. The format was chosen by me because it is what I and the board founders are familiar with. The content is driven by those who post. I have some ideas to add content that may or may not be different, but right now, I am just trying to manage the launch.

As far as the preferences of others, they are migrating here for reasons that are their own. Whether they stay is also for reasons that are their own. If you are implying that the site was started with malicious intent, then you are incorrect.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I never had any impression of malicious intent.

It seems - from a distant outside view - that hurt feelings and dislike of certain people had as much to do with this site as any concerns over format.
    The idea for the site has been in conception for over a year. I have worked it over in my mind to some reasonable depth. But sitting in a life raft as the Titanic sinks tends to add a little urgency to the endeavor.

I, personally, do not have any hurt feelings over recent changes at CUF. I saw those changes as an opportunity and frankly a needed kick in the pants to start this site. In fact, I consider it a good thing. I thought there was a niche for another Ute forum on the interweb. So far, it would appear that I was correct. Whether the site will remain interesting enough for all those who have signed up to remain engaged, remains to be seen.

Hopefully, they will.
    André Gide

Stick around. We're still working out kinks and building the community. (Hey, we're barely 3 days old, for Pete's sake!) Also, you'll need a little time to get acquainted with the vBulletin format. For example:

• Here you can subscribe to a particular thread and get a variety of email notifications when there are new posts in that thread.
    • When you log on, if you click on "my profile" at the top you'll see if there are any new posts in any thread you've subscribed to.
    • The "New Posts" button shows you all the new posts since you last logged on.
    • You can start your own thread on a subject that interests you and take part in a conversation over time.

There are other features. It's just a different approach. There's plenty of room for both UF.net and UB5.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Sexington View Post
    Utefans.net will have spring practice and scrimmage reports and has the most knowledgeable participants. You won't find better info and discussion about football and U of U athletics anywhere outside of Utefans.net.

www.utefans.net
    LOL, I ventured over there long ago. I wish you success in keeping posters with the same I.Q. level as yourself over there with you.

I know the U fans here are trying their hardest not to step on any toes over at Utefans.net, so as a BYU fan that posted there for years I'll go ahead and say it. Utefans.net is a mess, both in format and content. And it has been for a long time. It's no coincidence that many of the posters who started this site and the ones flocking here now are the same ones who left Utefans.net one by one over several years. I'm happy for the U fans that have a new home they can feel comfortable with.

Ultimately, one of my biggest issues with utefans.net really is format. I do not have a viable mobile alternative to access the site. A good percentage of my browsing on these boards is done on my phone and utefans.net doesn't cut it. I also really came to prefer the vBulletin format. I hate the threaded message board format like utefans/cougarboard.

While I may not love the content on utefans, I'm not sure that I would go back even if the content was solid due to the format.

I also really hope that Utefans continues to be a site that fans enjoy and that has active participation.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I agree with MP....this site allows much better access via a mobile interface.

I also do prefer this format as well.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.