Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

What are you listening to right now?

This is an homage to one of my favorite threads on CUF/CS. We have many music buffs on the board, and I'd love to find out what you guys are jamming to at any given moment.

I just listened to "Sea Change" by Beck. Such an incredible and lush album.

Loving Empire of the Sun lately.

Someone started a music thread on a Utah fan site...and it isn't dadrock??!?

AND it's one of my favorite albums of the aughts?...

All of my approval!

Janet jackson. Top that. Rhythm Nation.

Next topic.

A nice little EP by a band called Three Blind Wolves. It was a happy little discovery last year.

Dead kennedys-viva las vegas

GooGoo Dolls - Broadway...ugh...I can't believe my work iPod is this bad.

New release by Yo La Tengo.

Good ear weed.

Coheed and Cambria- The Afterman: Descension.

The last two days I've been streaming both the new Atoms for Peace (Thom Yorke supergroup) album Amok and Shout Out Louds on NPR's All Songs Considered site. There are some good songs on the Shout Out Louds, but not as solids as album's past.

At the moment, I'm listening to this:

2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

I'm listening to Suicide right now...great post punk band reminiscent of The Gun Club and Television. Listened to the Violent Femmes and Can earlier. Spotify rules.
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

"Heartthrob" - Tegan and Sara

It's not a great album, but T&S were my favorite band when I was 19, and it's pretty damn catchy.

I've been listening to the Beethoven Symphonies for the past several days. His fifth through ninth are incredible. It's been a few years since I've listened to them in their entirety. Pure genius. I recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtUte View Post
    Loving Empire of the Sun lately.
    You may well already know this, but if you like EotS check out their precursor, The Sleepy Jackson. Personally, I think it is better, particularly the album with "Good Dancers" and "Acid in My Heart" (blanking on the album title right now).

Some obscure Floyd - Meddle and Obscured by Clouds.

Liquid Liquid "Cavern" and the White Stripes album De Stijl. Awesome.
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

"Girls Can Tell" - Spoon

Got to meet Britt Daniel once after a Spoon show in Vegas. Definitely in my top 5 best shows ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Ute View Post
    "Girls Can Tell" - Spoon

Got to meet Britt Daniel once after a Spoon show in Vegas. Definitely in my top 5 best shows ever.
    Welcome to the board, Coastal!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

At the moment I'm listening to The Planets by Holst.

Some Nights by Fun

One of my favorite songs of all time! The Oaf by Big Wreck

http://youtu.be/LuhzlSQovxc

So who else has had the displeasure of listening to Atom's of Peace's Amok?
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 02-25-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

DLR, I'd need to listen to it a few more times, but I thought it was decent. I like a lot of things about "The King of Limbs", and this is a similar sound.

Not grooving on Thom Yorke DLR?

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Ute View Post
    Liquid Liquid "Cavern" and the White Stripes album De Stijl. Awesome.
    Anybody with a Joy Division plate icon is okay with me. Atoms for Peace could have used more Anthony Kiedis.

In my opinion, Amok suffers from the same masturbatory excess as TKOL. Tons of great ideas get introduced, but are never given room to breath and make an impact. For example, here is an album (one of my top 10 of 2012) that explores one just facet of Amok that Thom Yorke buries in the tedious fragility that permeates the record. Admittedly while my language is strong, I'd probably give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. Almost certainly crushed under expectation.

Bar Kokhba - Lucifer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com