Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

I guess now that the album is officially out I will say a little about Youth Lagoon's Wonderous Bughouse (I'll still hold off on Flaming Lips until The Terror officially drops). If you liked Tame Impala's Lonerism last year or found AnCo's Centipede Hz lacking, then WB may be an album you need to pick up. I think the lyricism is weak (often to the point of being completely uninteresting), but have troubling resisting this kind of swirling psych-pop. There's enough sonic experimentation here that you should feel challenged, but the scope is broad-enough to keep the album inviting and digestible.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here" live, from Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Have been listening to the Spacemen 3 and the Smiths lately. I really like Youth Lagoon's new album as well as Frightened Rabbit's new release.
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Ute View Post
    Have been listening to the Spacemen 3 and the Smiths lately. I really like Youth Lagoon's new album as well as Frightened Rabbit's new release.
    One of Spiritualized's few tour dates in America this year is in SLC...you bet your ass I'm gonna be there.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Heard this one this afternoon. This would go into my "Forgotten Songs Hall of Fame" as I always forget about this song and love it every time I hear it.

Disarm-Smashing Pumpkins

Last edited by UBlender; 03-27-2013 at 09:14 PM.

I adore Siamese Dream (pun entirely intended). It's in my car right now as a matter of fact. Now here's Soma.
    EDIT: Ok vbulletin doesn't like me trying to cue up the song so it's at 26m 20s or just listen to the whole thing.
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 03-27-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    I adore Siamese Dream (pun entirely intended). It's in my car right now as a matter of fact. Now here's Soma.
    EDIT: Ok vbulletin doesn't like me trying to cue up the song so it's at 26m 20s or just listen to the whole thing.
    Disarm, Soma, Today, Cherub Rock, all have a permanent place in my rotation, but Soma is king of that album
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Disarm, Soma, Today, Cherub Rock, all have a permanent place in my rotation, but Soma is king of that album
    Agreed.

I may be one of the few SP fans who still has material from Adore on my permanent playlist too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Agreed.

I may be one of the few SP fans who still has material from Adore on my permanent playlist too.
    Adore is a good album.

This is bound to piss some people off... great song IMO though.

Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

How about Fugazi for grownups.

Wire - Kidney Bingos

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

New Car Smell

That is a playlist, not a band. All stuff from this year so far.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

At the moment, a little Mariachi

http://youtu.be/IT5WzA3smlQ

Just got back from Jeff Mangum...my pitchfork cred is fully in tact. Also, good show.

"Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. Such a beautiful, devastating song.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    Well, this is what I was listening to... It's not music, and it's NSFW... but I thought it was funny.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Fun+Happens+Late/3adWWP?src=5

http://grooveshark.com/s/Bus+Station/3adX5w?src=5
    Last edited by Devildog; 04-13-2013 at 12:27 AM.

King Crimson - Sleepless

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    King Crimson - Sleepless

This was perfect for an early Monday morning. Good call, GU!

We can't go a week without some choons

Philip Glass
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Philip Glass
    The one enduring memory I have of my post-mission sojourn with my parents is sitting in an opulent, Portuguese-built opera house listening to a Philip Glass piece as a muggy, Amazonian rain fell on the building's fading glory. After the concert, as everyone huddled in the grand foyer waiting for a break in the rain, I thought to myself, "I have toiled for two years in this majestic, dying part of the world and nothing captured that experience better than what I just heard."

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The one enduring memory I have of my post-mission sojourn with my parents is sitting in an opulent, Portuguese-built opera house listening to a Philip Glass piece as a muggy, Amazonian rain fell on the building's fading glory. After the concert, as everyone huddled in the grand foyer waiting for a break in the rain, I thought to myself, "I have toiled for two years in this majestic, dying part of the world and nothing captured that experience better than what I just heard."
    Good hell, you guys were a lot more sophisticated on your missions than I was. I would have assumed that "Philip Glass" was a window repair shop or something ("Whenever you hear the crash, think of Philip's Paint and Glass..."). What a great moment and a great image, though. Where did you serve, Applejack (I mean, I'm assuming somewhere in Brazil)?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tic View Post
    Good hell, you guys were a lot more sophisticated on your missions than I was. I would have assumed that "Philip Glass" was a window repair shop or something ("Whenever you hear the crash, think of Philip's Paint and Glass..."). What a great moment and a great image, though. Where did you serve, Applejack (I mean, I'm assuming somewhere in Brazil)?
    I should have noted that I had never heard of Glass before that moment. At that point, if it wasn't on Z93, I had never heard it.

I was in Belem.

Tsk. Tsk. Thread needs more musics. How about some psychedelic shoegaze?

I've been listening to a lot of Ella Fitzgerald lately on pandora. Her voice is just simply amazing.

"A tisket a tasket I broke my little basket - shoony skootch weeeee!" She is amazing.

The police radio. Need a new DJ