Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

This has got to be the best Twilight line up in a few years.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    This has got to be the best Twilight line up in a few years.
    That is off the hook, but now I need to get myself psyched into going to see several of those shows. I haven't been in a few years, is it still overflowing with hipsters and poseurs? Would I be taking my life into my own hands by venturing out?

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    That is off the hook, but now I need to get myself psyched into going to see several of those shows. I haven't been in a few years, is it still overflowing with hipsters and poseurs? Would I be taking my life into my own hands by venturing out?
    Wherever there is perceived chicness and highbrow entertainment to be exploited as a means to personal relevance, there will be hipsters...Concerts, Comic expos, model train museums...ok, I'm not quite as sure about that last one. There are only 3 shows that I imagine will be madhouses; Flaming Lips, Kid Cudi, and MGMT. Belle and Sebastian will probably bring out looky-loos since it's the opener, but probably wont be huge. I think Erykah Badu and the National will pull in respectable groups based on the previously stated highbrow perception. EotS will win for most tragically hip audience. Grizzly Bear and Youth Lagoon should be the most manageable.
    Also, enjoy your secondhand smoking.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Wherever there is perceived chicness and highbrow entertainment to be exploited as a means to personal relevance, there will be hipsters...Concerts, Comic expos, model train museums...ok, I'm not quite as sure about that last one. There are only 3 shows that I imagine will be madhouses; Flaming Lips, Kid Cudi, and MGMT. Belle and Sebastian will probably bring out looky-loos since it's the opener, but probably wont be huge. I think Erykah Badu and the National will pull in respectable groups based on the previously stated highbrow perception. EotS will win for most tragically hip audience. Grizzly Bear and Youth Lagoon should be the most manageable.
    Also, enjoy your secondhand smoking.
    The National, Grizzly Bear/Youth Lagoon and Belle and Sebastian (in that order) would be my shows of choice. You're telling me the crowds won't be suffocating for these ones? I don't think I've been to one of these since they moved from Gallivan, but my aging memory tells me they were so packed that it was very difficult to really enjoy the show. Maybe I'm confusing this with my recall of Tuesday night bingo down at the senior center?

I stand just inside the right corner of the stage, about 15 to 20 feet away, and have only once felt suffocated...and at times have had 5 arms lengths of space. I sense those two shows will be somewhere in between. Just dont quote me ;-)

The $5 ticket cut down crowds to more manageable affairs. 15,000 to 25,000 or so instead of 35,000

Public Image by Public Image Limited
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I wasn't really that disappointed by these facts, although No. 9 was truly dispiriting (I would also be willing to bet that Streisand's numbers are strongly boosted by a flood of compilation/greatest hits/live albums that her competition simply cannot match). Most of them deal with artists whose heyday came in the era of vinyl, which was largely accessible to only adults and far less transportable than today's forms of digital media. If you put The Monkees and Zeppelin against each other and could somehow combine today's technology with musical tastes from the 1960s, the former would crush the latter. I should add that I would never put The Monkees within a million galaxies of Zep from a musical and talent standpoint.

I'd say this Cracked article is way more deflating from a musical sense than a pop culture sense, as the buzzfeed one feels

I don't think the Monkees and Zep belong in the same galaxy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'd say this Cracked article is way more deflating from a musical sense than a pop culture sense, as the buzzfeed one feels
    Deflating is a good word.

--Yeats

#4 in that article is completely made up when it comes to Death Magnetic and the reason it's mastered the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    #4 in that article is completely made up when it comes to Death Magnetic and the reason it's mastered the way it is.
    Care to explain? Looking online I can only find pretty much universal agreement that the peak limiting is the reason the track lacked any dynamism.

Care to explain? Looking online I can only find pretty much universal agreement that the audio pegging (related to the Loudness Wars) is the reason the track lacked any dynamism.
    The audio is pegged. But their assertion that it was the record company that did it for some sales reason is garbage.

Metallica does what they want, as does Rick Rubin (who has a history if mastering albums like that). They've discussed the way they mastered it, it wasn't the label (if that were the case the label never would have let St Anger be released)

Neither 'author' is a journalist, one is a former obscure punk singer that's on twitter and the other interviews bands.

It's quite obvious reading that whole #4 they have issues with Metallica, which is fine, but it's obvious they picked the album because of their issues, not because the industry mastered it that way.

Actually their only assertion in relation to Death Magnetic is that it's hard to perceive the changes in songs caused by peak limiting (there's no explicit claim that the industry at large or label did it). Since that song had a more dynamic mix released on the same day (which allowed fans to (justifiably?) judge Rubin's mixing...that he claims he literally phoned in) it makes a great test case for people not realizing the putzing of their music for a long time.
    Admittedly, Cracked does like mocking Metallica, but I think this story happened to be the best analog to fit the specific clarification they made in the overall discussion of the Loudness Wars.
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 05-14-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Me fail English?

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Actually their only assertion in relation to Death Magnetic is that it's hard to perceive the changes in songs caused by peak limiting (there's no explicit claim that the industry at large or label did it). Since that song had a more dynamic mix released on the same day (which allowed fans to (justifiably?) judge Rubin's mixing...that he claims he literally phoned in) it makes a great test case for people not realizing the putzing of their music for a long time.
    Admittedly, Cracked does like mocking Metallica, but I think this story happened to be the best analog to fit the specific clarification they made in the overall discussion of the Loudness Wars.
    But the assertion is it is expressly done intentionally to sell more albums, which leads to this being a poor example.

Frankly I think it was just a way for a site, and two obscure 'writers' to take a shot at Metallica, not some big music revelation (their Napster crack pretty much sealed their fate on that one)

It seems it's a matter of interpretation of whether the paragraph before they talk about Metallica concludes their indictment of the industry (as I suggest) or if it's a lead in (as you suggest).
    Though I must say some of your criticism seems like fanboy whinging. You wouldn't happen to be a Metallica fan, would you?

But the assertion is it is expressly done intentionally to sell more albums, which leads to this being a poor example.

Frankly I think it was just a way for a site, and two obscure 'writers' to take a shot at Metallica, not some big music revelation (their Napster crack pretty much sealed their fate on that one)
    I'm supportive of any shots taken at Metallica and Lars Ulrich in the past, present, and future. I frankly thought that the article was overly nice by not pointing out that the album sucked no matter how it was mixed.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

"Hey Jude" John Holt.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

While working out I heard "Whenever I Call You Friend" with Stevie Nicks and Kenny Loggins. A great 1980's feel-good pop song.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't think the Monkees and Zep belong in the same galaxy.
    Listen to old blues albums and you'll realize how much Zeppelin lifted.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Listen to old blues albums and you'll realize how much Zeppelin lifted.
    they lifted blues riffs and were heavily influenced by that genre but to me that does not discount their greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    they lifted blues riffs and were heavily influenced by that genre but to me that does not discount their greatness.
    Oh, I think they're awesome, but I thought it was pretty rich when Jimmy Paige got his knickers in a twist over that Pearl Jam "Given to Fly" cut. However, I do think they lifted part of Stairway to Heaven from their contemporary Spirit on the track "Taurus."

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Oh, I think they're awesome, but I thought it was pretty rich when Jimmy Paige got his knickers in a twist over that Pearl Jam "Given to Fly" cut. However, I do think they lifted part of Stairway to Heaven from their contemporary Spirit on the track "Taurus."
    They were probably inspired by it. C'mon, wuap, try to think like an artist!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    They were probably inspired by it. C'mon, wuap, try to think like an artist!
    There's a difference between inspiration and copying. Little Black Submarines is inspiration. Stairway to Heaven is lifting.

Heard the new Polyphonic Spree on All Songs Considered. Sounds really good. Can't wait until August .
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

The audio is pegged. But their assertion that it was the record company that did it for some sales reason is garbage.

Metallica does what they want, as does Rick Rubin (who has a history if mastering albums like that). They've discussed the way they mastered it, it wasn't the label (if that were the case the label never would have let St Anger be released)

Neither 'author' is a journalist, one is a former obscure punk singer that's on twitter and the other interviews bands.

It's quite obvious reading that whole #4 they have issues with Metallica, which is fine, but it's obvious they picked the album because of their issues, not because the industry mastered it that way.
    I agree that it is silly to think that someone forced Metallica to do something that made music sound horrible for the purpose of selling more records, they don't need any help in doing that.
    --fjm.com

What is your favorite album by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?

For me, it's "Consider the Lilies". Listen to "Pilgrim's Hymn, it begins at 41:33. Sublime.

Desse jeito, não tem jeito.