Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

"What A Fool Believes," the Doobies.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Sugarland, "Stand Up." Jennifer Nettles really has a set of pipes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Public Image Ltd. - "Disappointed"
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    For me, it's "Consider the Lilies". Listen to "Pilgrim's Hymn, it begins at 41:33. Sublime.

You're right, it's sublime. We listen to that album at home all the time but to my surprise it's not on my iTunes. I will fix that!

It's powerful to listen to the Choir while reading the lyrics:

Pilgrim's Hymn by Stephen Paulus

Even before we call on thy name
    To ask thee, O Lord,
    When we seek for the words to glorify thee,
    Thou hearest our prayer;
    Unceasing love, O unceasing love,
    Surpassing all we know.
    Glory to the father,
    and to the Son,
    And to the Holy Spirit.

Even with darkness sealing us in,
    We breathe thy name,
    And through all the days that follow so fast,
    We trust in thee;
    Endless thy grace, O endless thy grace,
    Beyond all mortal dream.
    Both now and forever,
    And unto ages and ages,
    Amen

--Yeats

That's actually quite misleading. Many of the current artist have the advantage of having a global marketing system that didn't even exist in most people's minds back in the 60's and 70's. If you could take the same social situation we faced in those two decades and combine it with the current technology in marketing (internet, Itunes, etc...), I think Led Zepplin and the Beetles would have blown everyone else away with numbers that would astound us, even by today's standard.

A Utah Man am I

Listening to Trouble Will Find Me by The National. This is my first listen, but it's a little underwhelming. It may just be that I have such high expectations as The National has been one of my very most favoritest bands for the better part of the last decade. My initial thought is that the album is fine but could really use a couple of tracks with a little more punch and tempo (see Bloodbuzz Ohio) to put it on par with their previous albums. I definitely need to give this some more listens before I can really formulate a coherent opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Listening to Trouble Will Find Me by The National. This is my first listen, but it's a little underwhelming. It may just be that I have such high expectations as The National has been one of my very most favoritest bands for the better part of the last decade. My initial thought is that the album is fine but could really use a couple of tracks with a little more punch and tempo (see Bloodbuzz Ohio) to put it on par with their previous albums. I definitely need to give this some more listens before I can really formulate a coherent opinion.
    I've heard a lot of people are underwhelmed with the album. I didn't pick up and advance copy or a leak, so I haven't given it a spin yet...but based on what I'm hearing it sounds like it wont get too many. At this point I'd be more excited to see a recording of the symphony they arranged with Sufjan Stevens.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    I've heard a lot of people are underwhelmed with the album. I didn't pick up and advance copy or a leak, so I haven't given it a spin yet...but based on what I'm hearing it sounds like it wont get too many. At this point I'd be more excited to see a recording of the symphony they arranged with Sufjan Stevens.
    I only got it yesterday and have still only listened the one time. One review I had read said that it was the most "The National" album they've done. So far I think that's right. If you truly like The National, you'll like the album just fine, because it's more of the same mellow, moody stuff. Nothing wrong with it, but it fails to explore any new ground. No "wow" moments on the album. Again, that's all just based on one spin so my opinion could change as I listen a couple more times. In any case, like I said before I love The National so I will probably still listen and enjoy plenty of times but not nearly as many as Alligator and The Boxer, which both blew me away.

In honor of Sun Ra's birthday, I'm listening to Space is the Place.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

James Taylor's cover of "Every Day" by Buddy Holly. Two masters combining their talents.

Last edited by LA Ute; 05-27-2013 at 02:15 PM.

--Yeats

Buffalo Springfield, "For What It's Worth." Pandora taking me back to my youth.

Last edited by LA Ute; 05-27-2013 at 02:12 PM.

--Yeats

Does anyone else find it cathartic to listen to otherwise melancholy albums when it's sunny and beautiful? Song somewhat related...
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

U2, "Running to Stand Still."

--Yeats

Callling all people who still consume new music. We are half-way through 2013, so what are your albums of the year so far?

For me, in no particular order:
    Savages- Silence Yourself
    Iceage- You're Nothing
    My Bloody Valentine- mbv
    Youth Lagoon- Wonderous Bughouse
    and my "I thought I was gonna hate this, but I love it" of 2013 (so far) Kurt Vile- Walkin on a Pretty Daze

Historically, very few of my mid-year picks make it to my end of the year roundup...so having these posts around is always fun for me to look back on.

I have been putting together a photo slide show for my granddaughter and boyfriend for graduation. The music they chose would not be what I would choose, but I thought it was interesting to see what these 18 year olds picked for their favorites:

Nappy Roots- Good Day (pretty catchy)
    Usher- Numb (seems formulaic to me)
    Awolnation- Sail (i like this song)
    No Doubt- Bathwater (not my thing, but glad they didn't go with a more played song)
    Kings of Leon- Fans (ditto)
    Eddy Grant- Electric Avenue (Awesome choice!)
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

April Wine - Sign of the Gypsy Queen
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

If you folks aren't going to post music in this thread, I'm going to start posting field recordings......you've been warned

"In your eyes" by Sara Bareilles (a cover of Peter Gabriel's tune)

Some REO Speedwagon:

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Belle and Sebastian tonight. Here's a taste for anyone on the fence about making your way to the park.

Dolly Parton's original recording of Jolene played from a 45 at 33 rpm.

We already discussed Siamese Dream in this thread...how about some more albums celebrating their platinum anniversary? or hell, post some diamond or ruby anniversaries. Just get this thread rolling!

Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 09-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Great song, but the best part for me is from about 3:05 to the end.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE6u-G1mwWs">

I can't stop listening to this lately. I think it's their best song.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I can't stop listening to this lately. I think it's their best song.
    Go back to page 3!!!

As a sidenote

-REM's "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" has been a favorite lately. They name drop SLC in the song "Departure"....
    -The album "Real Life" by a short-lived band called Magazine from the late 70s
    -Lots of Harry Nilsson
    -Echo and the Bunnymen's "Crystal Days" compilation
    -The Germs anthology
    -"De Stijl" by the White Stripes

Annnnd sprinkle a band called X and another one called Radiohead in there. And about 10 other bands.
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity." --SU

"An intellectual says something simple in a hard way. An artist says something hard in a simple way." -Bukowski

Tom Petty, Prince
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Mariachi El Bronx "Revolution Girls"

http://youtu.be/7YpnSbHtHDg

http://youtu.be/PT9hvyDvKHA

These guys are good. Steelblue told me about them.

How about some goth-rock for the Halloween season?