Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

If you like music history, here's the first recording of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight:"

And the African sound evolved into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwy5uqemp6c

(Sorry, can't post more than 1 video.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-26-2013 at 09:17 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"Same Love" - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

First time I have heard this and really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    "Same Love" - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

First time I have heard this and really like it.
    Love that whole album, good stuff

2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

I am currently listening to the first new Toad the Wet Sprocket album in 16 years. It's been released about a week.

It is making my nipples hard.

Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton

Every once in awhile I listen to this history podcast. The last one I listened to was a fascinating short story about John Wilkes Booth's older brother Edwin. Apparently Edwin Booth was the most famous actor in America prior to the Ford Theatre Incident (which is why no one questioned why John Wilkes Booth was hanging around the theatre that night). After Lincoln's demise, the older Booth Brother Edwin was ostracized and his acting career was ruined.

Several years later in Jersey City, NJ, Edwin Booth rescued a man from death or at the very least serious injury, when the man lost his footing next to a moving train. The man he saved turned out to be Robert Lincoln, President Lincoln's son.

Eminem's latest "The Marshall Mathers LP 2" it's a really killer album, maybe my favorite of his yet.

This morning on the train to work I listened to Beethoven's 9th (in its entirety) by Eugene Ormandy, the Philadelphia Philharmonic, and Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Divine.

I'm partial to that performance because my mother was in the Tabernacle Choir at the time. Rest in peace Mom, it was nice hearing your voice today!
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Eminem's latest "The Marshall Mathers LP 2" it's a really killer album, maybe my favorite of his yet.
    It's really good, I thought he was done when I listened to "Relapse".

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    20 years of the internet has finally produced what it was intended for. The greatest video ever. How many combinations and possibilities are there here? Uncountable.

http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html
    I saw this yesterday and thought it was awesome. Everyone should take five minutes and watch this.

"How great thou art" by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Very nice and unusual rendition of "Hallelujah:"

http://www.godvine.com/Four-Top-Sing...ully-1000.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Nice. Try this version -- Swedish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO_K...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Very nice and unusual rendition of "Hallelujah:"

http://www.godvine.com/Four-Top-Sing...ully-1000.html

Shostakovich Piano Concerto #2, Korobeinikov at the Steinway

Elevator Muzak.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Elevator Muzak.
    They're called Mood now. I assume the mood in question is ennui.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Tchaikovsky, Piano Concerto #1. Berlin PO, Martha Argerich.

"Same Love" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

"Same Love" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    That is a very powerful song. I very highly recommend for people to listen to it and ponder the lyrics.

What are you listening to right now?

This is from the same guy who did "Thrift Shop," right? I'm a little cynical of the instant transition from fame seeker to political conscience. Makes it a little harder to believe in this as something more than a cash/Grammy grab (how can a song on this topic not win a Grammy?).
    A little background for those who aren't familiar with Macklemore

This song is on the same album as Thrift Shop, so it wasn't a follow up to success

The album was funded and produced entirely by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. They did not have a record deal

Macklemore is very close to his uncle, who is gay. He and his partner are referenced in "Same Love" and that's one of the biggest reasons he wrote the song. Wasn't an attention grab, it's something he's been very passionate about for a long time

Also, Mary Lambert, the female singer on the song, is openly gay and helped write the chorus based on her experiences, especially being raised in a Christian church while being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That is a very powerful song. I very highly recommend for people to listen to it and ponder the lyrics.
    Agree. Not just a great song, but an important one. It's been a while since we saw anything socially conscious from the music world.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

The music world is putting out socially conscious stuff all the time. It's clearly there in folk and rock. But even pop music has a few of these every year. Lady GaGa's "Born This Way" has a similar political message to the Macklemore song. Socially conscious stuff sells .... sells what? Downloads? Advertising? I'm not sure what is being sold anymore, but it sells.
    I would say the biggest difference in "Same Love" is Macklemore calls out his genre, hip hop, for their use of homophobic slurs etc

You hear lots of socially conscious stuff, you rarely hear someone trying to "make it" call out those who are his desired peers

I dunno, calling out the establishment is a time honored way to the top in pop music. Isn't that what drove Lorde's "Royals" this year?

Anyway, it's a fine song. I would say that so far, Macklemore is known for two songs, and neither became popular for the musicianship. We'll see what he has to offer next.
    I think there's a far stretch between the two myself, especially on the issue being called out.

As for Macklemore, I've had the album for white some time. I'm impressed with what he does. Certainly more impressive than most of pop.

You are probably right. Time for me to bow out. I am way out of my depth talking about pop music and really shouldn't have extended this conversation at all. I don't know how or why I do it, but I occasionally find myself arguing strongly on issues I know nothing about. When that happens, just tell me to eat a Snickers.
    You diva!

What are you listening to right now?

I would say the biggest difference in "Same Love" is Macklemore calls out his genre, hip hop, for their use of homophobic slurs etc

You hear lots of socially conscious stuff, you rarely hear someone trying to "make it" call out those who are his desired peers
    I really liked that aspect of the song. (I generally liked it all.)

--Yeats

Kid Rock and Uncle Kracker - "Good to Be Me" For some reason that song takes me back being a kid.

Anyway, it's a fine song. I would say that so far, Macklemore is known for two songs, and neither became popular for the musicianship. We'll see what he has to offer next.
    Sancho, I love you but you are friggin way out of your element with this stereotype. You owe it to yourself to listen to the poetic messages in some of his songs.

This is another song from that same album, and it carries a strong indictment against blind consumerism (Nike in this case).

Chaconne for Violin and Orchestra in G minor, by Vitali. Sarah Chang on the violin.
    Wow, I had not heard this before. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Chaconne for Violin and Orchestra in G minor, by Vitali. Sarah Chang on the violin.
    Wow, I had not heard this before. Amazing.
    Sheesh. And I was listening to Neil Diamond sing "The Christmas Song" on the car radio. How low-brow do you think I feel?

--Yeats