Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2013 Fall Camp

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Apparently Manning threw the ball over the south stands to avoid sprints today.

The coaches may have to rethink this challenge of we continue to recruit QB'S with P12 talent.
    Saw video of it. It was impressive. The tweet said he threw it from the goal line, but it looked like the 10 to me

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post

Seriously, what in the wide, wide world of sports is up with the 2 deep at safety?
    Here is our safety recruiting for the last 5 classes

Jarrad Stewart-Left team after redshirting in 2009(homesick Texan)
    Chris Washington-Medically retired in fall of 2010.(Multiple Shoulder Surgeries)
    Victor Spikes-Moved to LB in 2011, Left team after Spring 2013(IDK but he is at SUU)

Brian Blechen-Started SS as a true. Has played 2+ years at LB
    Damian Payne-Left team in the fall of 2011(Had to go take care of baby momma)
    Terrell Reese-Left team after Spring 2013(Most likely a depth chart casualty :doh
    Michael Walker-In 2 deep at SS

Eric Rowe-Going to be 3 year starter at FS
    Joseph Bryant-Still on the team but WTF is his story?
    Keith McGill-Moved to CB

Austin Lee-Went straight to the mission field
    Alphonso Marsh-Kicked off team in 2012

Tevin Carter-Didn't make grades

So 5 classes, 13 players. Only 3 playing the position, 2 other on the team at a different position, 1 on a mission, 5 never played a down, 2 left after some contribution.

:yikes:
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post

Chris Washington-Medically retired in fall of 2010.(Multiple Shoulder Surgeries)
    Victor Spikes-Moved to LB in 2011, Left team after Spring 2013(IDK but he is at SUU)

Terrell Reese-Left team after Spring 2013(Most likely a depth chart casualty :doh

Keith McGill-Moved to CB

So 5 classes, 13 players. Only 3 playing the position, 2 other on the team at a different position, 1 on a mission, 5 never played a down, 2 left after some contribution.

That's quite a saga. Is it just rotten luck, or a function of our being outside the PAC-12? Will it get any better now that we are in, and getting more shots at more athletes?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Keith McGill-Moved to CB

So it is a Spinal Tap drummer thing. Rad. Looking forward to learning more about the demise of our future safeties.

Also, love Eric Rowe as Nigel Tufnel. He goes to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That's quite a saga. Is it just rotten luck, or a function of our being outside the PAC-12? Will it get any better now that we are in, and getting more shots at more athletes?
    this year, we lost the safety we really wanted to Stanford; the kid from Syracuse

We also have potential safeties in Micah Thomas and Chase Hansen.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    this year, we lost the safety we really wanted to Stanford; the kid from Syracuse
    I assume you mean the kid from Woods Cross, and I'd be very surprised if he ever plays safety. He's going to be an all P12 LB.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We also have potential safeties in Micah Thomas and Chase Hansen.
    The guys down south claim that Hansen will transfer after his mission. Since he burned his redshirt I doubt it, but has anyone here heard differently?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpone View Post
    The guys down south claim that Hansen will transfer after his mission. Since he burned his redshirt I doubt it, but has anyone here heard differently?
    What idiots.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar

Keith McGill-Moved to CB

I guess hindsight is 20/20, but it sure seems that it would have been wise to recruit another safety in 2012 and 2013 with what went on before that time. We knew that 2009 was a giant whiff. We knew that 2010 Blech had moved and Payne had left the team. We knew in 2012 that Lee was going on a mission. We knew we only recruited one safety in 2013...a JC guy that hadn't yet qualified which is always a risk.

Seems like someone overlooked this position in a big way. I wonder how a "defensive" coach like Whit whiffs this bad. It's quite embarrassing.

We have 1 guy (Rowe) recruited in the past THREE seasons that is still playing safety and anywhere near the depth chart. 1 guy. 3 recruiting cycles.

Very less than stellar.

I really do not get only recruiting 2 in 2012 when one was headed on a mission or only ONE this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I guess hindsight is 20/20, but it sure seems that it would have been wise to recruit another safety in 2012 and 2013 with what went on before that time. We knew that 2009 was a giant whiff. We knew that 2010 Blech had moved and Payne had left the team. We knew in 2012 that Lee was going on a mission. We knew we only recruited one safety in 2013...a JC guy that hadn't yet qualified which is always a risk.

Seems like someone overlooked this position in a big way. I wonder how a "defensive" coach like Whit whiffs this bad. It's quite embarrassing.

We have 1 guy (Rowe) recruited in the past THREE seasons that is still playing safety and anywhere near the depth chart. 1 guy. 3 recruiting cycles.

Very less than stellar.

I really do not get only recruiting 2 in 2012 when one was headed on a mission or only ONE this past season.
    On average we have, what, 21 scholarships each year? I say the basic breakdown should look like this:

1 QB
    1 TE
    1-2 RB
    2 WR
    1-2 ILB
    4-5 OL
    4-5 DL/OLB
    4-5 DB

Those three positions (OL, DL, DB) are three places where you just can't have enough players. Seems like we have been heavy on the RB/WR/athlete recently.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpone View Post
    Great news! That keeps their streak of 1,837 "missionary transferring to BYU" rumors intact. I was getting a little worried there.

It's always possible that he does transfer as it has happened before (both ways) but they are wrong about that a lot more often than they are right.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Great news! That keeps their streak of 1,837 "missionary transferring to BYU" rumors intact. I was getting a little worried there.

It's always possible that he does transfer as it has happened before (both ways) but they are wrong about that a lot more often than they are right.
    Seriously, though, I want to see Langi and Hansen back at the U. Langi playing LB and Hansen playing safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    Seriously, though, I want to see Langi and Hansen back at the U. Langi playing LB and Hansen playing safety.

What kind of speed does Langi have? We definitely need speed at the LB position to compete in this PAC12.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I assume you mean the kid from Woods Cross, and I'd be very surprised if he ever plays safety. He's going to be an all P12 LB.
    Actually, I meant the Syracuse safety Fonua, who has committed (maybe softly) to the Y. I got him confused with Sean Barton, the Woods Cross LB last year.