Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fall Camp

Palamo. I'm dying for this kid to breakout and become a better ziggy than ziggy was for the Cougs last year.

I remember watching him play rugby 7s and he was absolutely the most dominant player on the field. Lets hope he has a huge year.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Palamo. I'm dying for this kid to breakout and become a better ziggy than ziggy was for the Cougs last year.

I remember watching him play rugby 7s and he was absolutely the most dominant player on the field. Lets hope he has a huge year.
    Good luck with that. If Palamo is drafted in the top 10 of the NFL draft next year, I will marry Carlos Lozano.

What's the latest on Blechen's tendinitis? I'm not a huge Blechen fan, but if he is out, we just went from thin to Mark Bigelow at linebacker.

Looking at the two deep on defense. On paper, this looks like our worst defense in a decade.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I came home from Utah and my high school reunion to find my 2013 season tix waiting for me. A nice welcome.

--Yeats

Here is the latest depth chart going into the scrimmage tomorrow:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...nt/FBaug12.pdf

IMO, the positions still up in the air are:

#3 Receiver between Anthony Denham, Delshawn McClellon, and Andre Lewis

DT between Sese Ianu, Latu Hemuli, and LT Tuipulotu

MLB between V.J. Fehoko and LT Filiaga

Both CB with Justin Thomas, Wykie Freeman, Reggie Porter, Keith McGill, and Davion Orphey

The rest of the starters appear to be set. The fact that all 5 OL positions appear to be set is a huge bonus for the offense.

For the receivers, Lewis is the wildcard as he just got back into practice today(hamstring). For now, I would say that Denham is the favorite to start the season, but I bet Lewis overtakes lim by season end. McClellon will likely see most of his time in 4 receiver sets as a slot, filling the role that Jereme Brooks played in 2008-10.

As long as he stays healthy, Latu Hemuli is my pick to win the starting spot next to Tenny Palepoi. If anyone doubts him, watch what he did as a RS freshman against Pitt in 2010. That said, it appears that we have outstanding depth at DT this year and despite the loss of Star, the interior play may be better overall this season.

Fehoko is my pick for MLB. Filiaga is a big hitter, but was out of position frequently. Fehoko is a much better fit at MLB than he was at Rover(which he played much of last season).

For the cornerbacks, Freeman will likely be one starter, and I think that McGill will nail down the other slot, at least out of camp. His injury history has me worried about his ability to hold the position, but we have good depth behind him. Many worry about the lack of experience at CB, but I look at it as a position where skill>>experience. The way we place the corners on an island puts a premium on athletic ability, and all of the players in the hunt have it in spades.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I wouldn't be surprised to see marc pouvave push aiono for RT too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    For the cornerbacks, Freeman will likely be one starter, and I think that McGill will nail down the other slot, at least out of camp. His injury history has me worried about his ability to hold the position, but we have good depth behind him. Many worry about the lack of experience at CB, but I look at it as a position where skill>>experience. The way we place the corners on an island puts a premium on athletic ability, and all of the players in the hunt have it in spades.
    Interesting. I haven't been as plugged in as other years, but I haven't heard a whole lot about Freeman. It seems to me that Justin Thomas and Reggie Porter are the names mentioned most often as standing out. McGill has the highest upside if he can be consistent and stay healthy. Freeman is a guy I've always liked so I certainly wouldn't be upset about him winning the job. My bet is that we see all four of them plenty (with all of the nickel and dime packages that we have to use). I love the idea of Thomas and Porter as four year mainstays at the position.

I was under the impression that Heimuli had retired due to injuries. Not so?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That was a rumor over the spring.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

A few quick thoughts on fall camp so far:

-Thrilled to see Latu in a battle for playing time. Really hoping he can stay healthy. I am not worried about the interior of the line in even the slightest.

-Also happy to see that Isaac Asiata has made the two deep. I dont know why, but im cheering for him.

-Seems that Bot has become this year's Lei Talamaivo. Just one of those things I guess. I thought hed be Bergstroms replacement after I saw him play against BYU in 2011. But, Im the first to admit that analyzing offensive lineman is my weakest area in football (not that I have any strengths )

-Very anxious to hear how the scrimmage goes.

-Not one of these bullet points has contained any useful information.

First scrimmage today and I will say more later, but if Connor Manning performs in Saturday's scrimmage as well as he did today, I think that you will see Schulz transfer, maybe even before camp is finished(esp if he still wants to play 2 the D-1 level). I don't care that he did it against the 2nd and 3rd string. Those are the players who are thought to be his peers on the team. Decision making is such a huge part of being a quarterback, and it sounds like Connor may be the best we have in that regards. I am not saying that I want to see him this season, but he is going to have alot to say about the QB position in 2014 and beyond.
    André Gide

I am happy to hear about Mannings success. I have high hopes for schulz and hope he sticks around. We have had too many years of a thin cupboard at QB so having a several good quarterbacks would be a nice change.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Here's some info on Heimuli's return to football.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=263...-making-impact

First scrimmage today and I will say more later, but if Connor Manning performs in Saturday's scrimmage as well as he did today, I think that you will see Schulz transfer, maybe even before camp is finished(esp if he still wants to play 2 the D-1 level). I don't care that he did it against the 2nd and 3rd string. Those are the players who are thought to be his peers on the team. Decision making is such a huge part of being a quarterback, and it sounds like Connor may be the best we have in that regards. I am not saying that I want to see him this season, but he is going to have alot to say about the QB position in 2014 and beyond.
    It is certainly possible, but Schulz himself had a better completion % than Manning, although Schulz had no TDs and one INT (the TD/INT numbers are hard to rely on without context--was the INT on a tipped/dropped pass or bad route? Did Schulz not throw TDs because he moved the team down into the redzone and then they scored on running play?). So I'm not sure we can safely conclude that Manning is rocketing past Schulz on the the depth chart. Although I do agree that if Schulz were to definitively fall behind either of the freshman (and not in a "Cox package" sort of way) then he would probably transfer (and I couldn't blame him).

As for Manning, I think the staff was really hoping to give him a lot of reps today in hopes that they could conclude that he isn't ready and could put a redshirt on him and reduce his practice reps. Based on his size he should definitely redshirt to get stronger--we don't need another Jordan Wynn story here. But Manning is not making that decision easy from the sound of things.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    It is certainly possible, but Schulz himself had a better completion % than Manning, although Schulz had no TDs and one INT (the TD/INT numbers are hard to rely on without context--was the INT on a tipped/dropped pass or bad route? Did Schulz not throw TDs because he moved the team down into the redzone and then they scored on running play?). So I'm not sure we can safely conclude that Manning is rocketing past Schulz on the the depth chart. Although I do agree that if Schulz were to definitively fall behind either of the freshman (and not in a "Cox package" sort of way) then he would probably transfer (and I couldn't blame him).

As for Manning, I think the staff was really hoping to give him a lot of reps today in hopes that they could conclude that he isn't ready and could put a redshirt on him and reduce his practice reps. Based on his size he should definitely redshirt to get stronger--we don't need another Jordan Wynn story here. But Manning is not making that decision easy from the sound of things.

Listening to Bill and Hans today, they said that 3 of Connors incompletions were receiver drops, so that would boost his percentage. They also said that some of the drops are because the receivers are not expecting him to put the ball into some of the spaces that he can fit it. I think he will redshirt, barring a Oregon 2009 type of calamity. That said, he is already a better option than Schulz in the long run. I hope Schulz sticks out this season so that we can keep a redshirt on 2 or 3 of the freshman this year.
    André Gide

This is an interesting development. I really hope Schultzy sticks around, not because I think he is a superstar, but because I would hate to have true freshmen as our backups. Let's hope Archie Manning's long lost son can keep his gun under wraps for the rest of the summer.

I keep waiting for Schulz to announce a transfer to Hawaii. I really wish we would focus on developing an offensive system with a group of QB's who have an appropriate skillset for that system. I'm not sure that the best QB is necessarily the best Utah QB and would like to see us fully commit to the read option elements of our offense. I don't want another Wynn situation where we're trying to recruit dual threat QB's for our ideal offense while running a pro-style offense to accomodate our QB.

I just watch some high lights of the scrimmage and freshman running back de'vren young looked very fast and shifty. I don't know if he was going against the 1s, 2s, or 3s but he looked promising. Whit said lots of the defensive starters were held out. I was also glad to hear that the kicking game is improving in Whit's estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I keep waiting for Schulz to announce a transfer to Hawaii. I really wish we would focus on developing an offensive system with a group of QB's who have an appropriate skillset for that system. I'm not sure that the best QB is necessarily the best Utah QB and would like to see us fully commit to the read option elements of our offense. I don't want another Wynn situation where we're trying to recruit dual threat QB's for our ideal offense while running a pro-style offense to accomodate our QB.
    I agree.

--Yeats

I just keep wondering why no one ever corrected Wilson's throwing motion early in his career, when there was still time to do it.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-14-2013 at 10:51 AM.

--Yeats

Whitt said today that Tevin Carter will not join the team this year. That sucks. This is why I should never get excited about JC kids. In the past, I had been pretty good about that. I was stoked about the type of prospect Carter is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I was stoked about the type of prospect Carter is.
    I was stoked just to have any kind of help in the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I was stoked just to have any kind of help in the secondary.
    I hope we never, never have to rely on immediate help (esp. starting) from a JC transfer again

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I hope we never, never have to rely on immediate help (esp. starting) from a JC transfer again
    the trouble is you really never bring in a junior college transfer except to help fill holes. so by virtue of that you're depending on that person to come in and help out immediately.
    André Gide

the trouble is you really never bring in a junior college transfer except to help fill holes. so by virtue of that you're depending on that person to come in and help out immediately.
    right. What I am really saying is that I hope we are establishing 4 year continuity so that we dont have gaping holes that need immediate fulfilment any more (although Cullen and some of the db's worked out well, where Lozano and Pouvave didnt, but I hope our recruiting has picked up to provide the depth and continuity).

There isn't a school in the country that hasn't had to bring in a JC to fill a hole. Even SEC powerhouses bring in 1 or 2 JC kids a year to fill a need every year.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Like John White IV?
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Like John White IV?
    Hey, I acknowledged that some work out; do you want to be in the position of relying on them, or would you like to have a stable of backs like this year? (dont be a wise guy and throw York in my face).