Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    The BYU administration (and whoever they are reporting to) intends to connect BYU football to the Mission of the Church.
    Problem is, there is a broad way to interpret that. I mean, was that charge any different during the LaVell era? And yet BYU football had a MUCH different feel back then. They just went out with their "Ah, shucks!" persona and played straight up football. Sometimes winning, sometimes losing, but it wasn't directly connected to "living right on and off the field" and all of that stuff that's sprouted up in the last decade. The missionary aspect of the football team was just putting those darn weird Mormons in a normal-as-apple-pie scenario -- the American football field -- and showing the world that Mormons put their cleats on one foot at a time, too. The "lesson," trite as this sounds is that "Hey, for being weird, Mormons are mostly normal!"

The hope, I always thought, was that BYU's actions would speak for themselves as to the values of the LDS church; THAT would be the message. It was about presenting one of the many normal sides of Mormonism. Now that's all been torn down with the Bronco brand of BYU football.

There's a faction of members in the church that wears "Mormon peculiarity" as a badge of honor and they love to see that reflected by BYU's football team. I would argue though that infusing that overt peculiarity into the football team is having the opposite effect toward the school's/team's mission. Let the gospel be weird. Let the football be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I guess my problem is that I disagree with the overt association not because it offends me but because I believe it is detrimental to the actual mission.
    Yes. This ^^^.
    Last edited by FountainOfUte; 08-22-2013 at 08:56 PM.