Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Hybrid View

Brady Propping! LOL, That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Brady Propping! LOL, That is all.
    I made the mistake of wasting 20 minutes listening to that verbal train wreck. Everyone involved should be embarrased, but I would bet they all came out of it feeling like they accomplished something. Pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I made the mistake of wasting 20 minutes listening to that verbal train wreck. Everyone involved should be embarrased, but I would bet they all came out of it feeling like they accomplished something. Pretty sad.
    I didn't listen to the interview but the comments on the radio station web site were great. Lots of BYU fans saying, "You go, Brady!"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I didn't listen to the interview but the comments on the radio station web site were great. Lots of BYU fans saying, "You go, Brady!"
    Strange interview for sure. As I listened, I couldn't help but agree with Poppinga at first. I feel that Gordon Monson does go for the low hanging fruit when he knows itll get a lot of pageviews. Even though I agreed with his take on Bronco, I still find his style somewhat annoying. So I didn't mind that. But it was as if someone flipped a lightswitch. All of a sudden poppinga is asking about Gordon's religious affiliation and level of activity on the air. (EXTREMELY inappropriate to say the least; but I wouldnt expect most BYU faithful to acknowledge that). Here's my other issue with Poppinga that Monson tried to bring up: In regards to Bronco using the BoM at his presser........if you want to use that in your own time to teach your players, by all means do it. However, I find it inappropriate at best (sacreligious at worst) to make that display in a press conference. And this is from someone who lists the BoM as the most influential in my life.

I was glad that once Brady was done with his rant about how Bronco was justified in using the BoM, that Spence did the right thing by just thanking him for his time and dismissing him.

Finally, afterwards Brady took the low road and resorted to the "I cant have a conversation with him because he never played organized sports". BS.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I would bet they all came out of it feeling like they accomplished something.
    Totally. That's the exact same sense I get.

Let me say this about the local media. It's easy to bag on them; they're just regular guys with flaws and idiosyncrasies that get broadcast daily through mass media. But can you imagine having to manipulate the Utah/BYU rivalry like some puppeteer as your career? It might be fun for the first five seconds, but quickly it would absolutely ruin my love of sports. A lot of young cocky guys come into this market, do their time, then move on. But guys like Monsen, Bolerjack, David James and others who've planted their flag in this market must just have a twitch in their eye when they look at themselves in the mirror in the morning. They have their "time to make the donuts" moment like we all do before heading to work, but imagine the daily circus they know their headed into. They willingly have to sell out to this market, simultaneously poking and stroking BYU and Utah fans just to keep up an audience. I assume they all started out as pure sports fans like you and me, but they've made sports their business and now they have to feed the beast. How depressing. Imagine coming to loathe something you once had a passion for. What a disappointment.

Of course I'm biased, and I know we Ute fans have our crazy, suspender-wearing idiots among us, but dealing with the BYU fanbase must be enough to make a man want to take his own life. Again, while they're easy to pan and make caricatures of I have a small bit of sympathy for local media and guys like Bronco. Bronco reminds me of a beaten dog who you walk up to to pet and he pisses the floor. And it's not his fault. That's just the brand of crazy he's dealing with from his fanbase and boosters. "Normal" fanbases are wacked out and psycho enough. But add in the religiosity of the BYU dynamic and it becomes Crazytown. I guess he could always just walk away. He's had his chances to leave but he chooses to stay, so I don't know how to account for that.

Anyway, what a mess that whole interview was. I can't wish next Thursday here soon enough. I'm done with the three-ring circus; it's time for some actual games.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    Totally. That's the exact same sense I get.

Let me say this about the local media. It's easy to bag on them; they're just regular guys with flaws and idiosyncrasies that get broadcast daily through mass media. But can you imagine having to manipulate the Utah/BYU rivalry like some puppeteer as your career? It might be fun for the first five seconds, but quickly it would absolutely ruin my love of sports. A lot of young cocky guys come into this market, do their time, then move on. But guys like Monsen, Bolerjack, David James and others who've planted their flag in this market must just have a twitch in their eye when they look at themselves in the mirror in the morning. They have their "time to make the donuts" moment like we all do before heading to work, but imagine the daily circus they know their headed into. They willingly have to sell out to this market, simultaneously poking and stroking BYU and Utah fans just to keep up an audience. I assume they all started out as pure sports fans like you and me, but they've made sports their business and now they have to feed the beast. How depressing. Imagine coming to loathe something you once had a passion for. What a disappointment.

Of course I'm biased, and I know we Ute fans have our crazy, suspender-wearing idiots among us, but dealing with the BYU fanbase must be enough to make a man want to take his own life. Again, while they're easy to pan and make caricatures of I have a small bit of sympathy for local media and guys like Bronco. Bronco reminds me of a beaten dog who you walk up to to pet and he pisses the floor. And it's not his fault. That's just the brand of crazy he's dealing with from his fanbase and boosters. "Normal" fanbases are wacked out and psycho enough. But add in the religiosity of the BYU dynamic and it becomes Crazytown. I guess he could always just walk away. He's had his chances to leave but he chooses to stay, so I don't know how to account for that.

Anyway, what a mess that whole interview was. I can't wish next Thursday here soon enough. I'm done with the three-ring circus; it's time for some actual games.
    +1!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Guys like Popinga and their stupid correlation of BYU to the Kingdom of God (and unfortunately I truly believe that a large percentage of the fan base believes the same thing on some level or another) is enough for me to be quite happy to not compete against them on any field or court or wherever ever, ever again. I am a participating member of the LDS Church and have a degree from BYU and I just don't understand that type of thinking. Yet it is engrained in their culture. I was told by a friend of a current player that after one workout this past winter Bronco gathered the troops and started to tell them that if they all lived better off the field they would be blessed with the realization of their football goals. I happen to disagree with this type of thinking, but some people lap it up. I think it is a turn off to most people who are not LDS and many who are and is ultimately a detriment to the mission of the LDS Church. I have always believed that the mission of BYU is not to do missionary work in the traditional sense, but rather a place for rallying the already converted.

Although I have lived in Utah the majority of my life, the years that I spent living outside the State were refreshing because nobody gives a crap about the LDS Church one way or another and so it was never an issue in any part of my life other than my religious activity. In Utah it permeates the fabric of everything and becomes the focal point for so much chest thumping and finger pointing that it becomes almost nauseating.

Anyway, I am one person who will not miss playing them one bit the next two years. I will try to avoid the 365 days of constant comparison and whining by the media that we are not playing them. I accomplish this by not listening to the local media and not reading their coverage. I will listen to Bill and Hans on some days and will read stuff by Dirk Facer, but I read more by Jon Wilner than anyone else to get my PAC 12 coverage.

Really, I have a lot of respect for fans of the BYU football. What a pisser to have to wade through all of the chicanery to get to the actual sports of it.

They talk incessantly about the how Board of Trustees is keeping them down, they conjure up neverending rumors about the alcohol-related activities of 18 year old recruits, and they force themselves into rabid excitement about what channel their games are on, rather than who their opponent is. (Tangentially, I would like to say here that the team does a great job of adhering to the policy of playing the games on the date and time at which they are scheduled!)

Goatnapper spent like five seasons working feverishly to convince himself that Captain Bronconi wasn't a weirdo, he was just acting like a weirdo to convince his genuine weirdo overlords that he was one of them, and in such a way he could handle honor code violations on his own.

How tiring. I mean, good for them, but how tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Guys like Popinga and their stupid correlation of BYU to the Kingdom of God (and unfortunately I truly believe that a large percentage of the fan base believes the same thing on some level or another) is enough for me to be quite happy to not compete against them on any field or court or wherever ever, ever again. I am a participating member of the LDS Church and have a degree from BYU and I just don't understand that type of thinking. Yet it is engrained in their culture. I was told by a friend of a current player that after one workout this past winter Bronco gathered the troops and started to tell them that if they all lived better off the field they would be blessed with the realization of their football goals. I happen to disagree with this type of thinking, but some people lap it up. I think it is a turn off to most people who are not LDS and many who are and is ultimately a detriment to the mission of the LDS Church. I have always believed that the mission of BYU is not to do missionary work in the traditional sense, but rather a place for rallying the already converted.

Although I have lived in Utah the majority of my life, the years that I spent living outside the State were refreshing because nobody gives a crap about the LDS Church one way or another and so it was never an issue in any part of my life other than my religious activity. In Utah it permeates the fabric of everything and becomes the focal point for so much chest thumping and finger pointing that it becomes almost nauseating.

Anyway, I am one person who will not miss playing them one bit the next two years. I will try to avoid the 365 days of constant comparison and whining by the media that we are not playing them. I accomplish this by not listening to the local media and not reading their coverage. I will listen to Bill and Hans on some days and will read stuff by Dirk Facer, but I read more by Jon Wilner than anyone else to get my PAC 12 coverage.
    He's telling the truth and therein lies the problem. The BYU administration (and whoever they are reporting to) intends to connect BYU football to the Mission of the Church. Just because Bronco is blatantly doing this doesn't mean he is making any misrepresentations. That is BYU football. If it offends Mormons who support other schools, then, quite honestly they need to look at the reasons why it is offensive because it shouldn't be offensive to any active, true beleiving Mormon. Popinga's comments are ridiculous but truthful. If that makes anybody's butt hurt, then that person need to do some soul searching

Banned
    Here is a link to the conversation if anyone has the 17+ minutes to waste.

http://1280thezone.com/index.php/aud...mer_cougars_lb

To me it is just more of the same.

Perspective and points of view are gonna be different.

I will say that from my point of view, Poppinga asking Monson about his own standing in the LDS church came across to me as condescending. As if, Monson would "get it" if he were more righteous. Universal truths and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    He's telling the truth and therein lies the problem. The BYU administration (and whoever they are reporting to) intends to connect BYU football to the Mission of the Church. Just because Bronco is blatantly doing this doesn't mean he is making any misrepresentations. That is BYU football. If it offends Mormons who support other schools, then, quite honestly they need to look at the reasons why it is offensive because it shouldn't be offensive to any active, true beleiving Mormon. Popinga's comments are ridiculous but truthful. If that makes anybody's butt hurt, then that person need to do some soul searching

Are you saying that anyone who claims to be an active Mormon who does not agree that BYU = The Kingdom of God is off base, because that is what your statement indicates to me and apparently that was what Poppinga was trying to get at by questioning Monson about his religious activity. If Monson was only an active Mormon he would understand.

You are probably correct about what they want the message to be. I guess my problem is that I disagree with the overt association not because it offends me but because I believe it is detrimental to the actual mission. If you go to the communities where BYU plays on a regular basis I bet you will find that next to the actual rival of that school, BYU is the most loathed opponent. How does that further the mission of the LDS Church? Now BYU fans love to say, well that is because we beat them all the time. While there may be some truth to that, my experience from living in San Diego is that they are the most loathed because the fan base is made up of a large percentage of people who are arrogant, self-righteous pricks who think they are better than anyone else.