Page 14 of 114 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Hey look. If I could watch a Utah game I would but I can't because, well, the PAC12 channel isn't even available on my satellite carrier. It would've been nice to see them play Stanford or Arizona. Oh, well. Next season maybe. I will likely at least get to see them at least once in person next season ... if they do in fact travel to Michigan for a game.
    You should cancel directv and get dish.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Not really. I think it's funny that a fan of a team whose game was on ESPN News would make fun of another team for being on the PAC 12 Network.
    ESPNNEWS ~ 70M homes. P12 Network ~ 30M homes. In any event, Saturday's game was controlled by our opponent's TV contract, not BYU's.

We can't beat you, we haven't been able to beat in the past four years...... But our games have an opportunity to be on more television sets than yours. What ever makes you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    We can't beat you, we haven't been able to beat in the past four years...... But our games have an opportunity to be on more television sets than yours. What ever makes you feel better.
    Notice he hasn't mentioned how many people actually watch, just the potential

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Notice he hasn't mentioned how many people actually watch, just the potential
    I am glad you caught that and pointed it out as well. It is also my understanding that the individuals that live on Kolob have access to their games.

Tooblue is trolling us but he's doing that in an adorable manner. He's cute as a button, that one. Kccougar is just an otherwise good guy who's fallen under tooblue's corrupting influence.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Tooblue is trolling us but he's doing that in an adorable manner. He's cute as a button, that one. Kccougar is just an otherwise good guy who's fallen under tooblue's corrupting influence.
    I have to disagree with when you when it comes to old Kccougar and message boards. I am just going to go back to that old teaching that all of our mothers taught us back in the day, if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

I have to disagree with when you when it comes to old Kccougar and message boards. I am just going to go back to that old teaching that all of our mothers taught us back in the day, if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.
    I am not saying anything bad about KC and never will. He's occasionally a miserable vomitous mass, but as you know that is a good thing in my book.

Seriously, I have recently acquired a great distaste for vilifying people on message boards as if they were not even present (when they actually are). Not sure how I picked that up.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Can we even say that Utah is the new Arizona? That now seems like a best case scenario; something to strive for! Ouch. Hey, at least you have score board for now. By the way, the only Utah game I have been able to watch this season is the one against BYU. I hear the PAC12 network is awesome. I will have to take your word for it though.
    Utah is not the new Arizona until the Utes have spent as many years in the cellar as Arizona did until Utah joined the PAC12.

Check your inbox, friend. It's a note about Italy and your son.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

the contract is strong enough the ESPN had to broadcast the game on a nationally available channel accessible on all carriers.
    The truly amazing thing, apparently, according to you, is that BYU's contract is so strong that it even applies to road games. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Not really. I think it's funny that a fan of a team whose game was on ESPN News would make fun of another team for being on the PAC 12 Network.
    You're right. It isn't funny that I couldn't watch the the Utes beat the then #5 ranked team in the country followed by an abysmal loss to Arizona. If those games were on ESPN News then I'd be singing a different tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    The truly amazing thing, apparently, according to you, is that BYU's contract is so strong that it even applies to road games. Amazing.
    All I know is they game was broadcast on a national channel available on ALL carriers. What's truly amazing is that's not true for Utah or the PAC12 network.

I replied. You dropped your son off at the MTC on the same day my parents dropped my son off. We haven't heard from our boy yet. His Mom is getting a little anxious.

It doesn't make me feel better.

I love tv smack. Who the fuck cares if you are on in 70 million homes yet no one watches? lol.

Enjoy Independence BYU fan. Guess what? You might be on more tv sets, but if Utah beats USC this weekend, no one will be talking about BYU/Boise....

There is no such thing as a BYU football fan... they are all viewership fans, and to be honest, so am I. Nothing gets me as excited as reading Nielsen ratings and speculating about ESPN contracts.

And let's be honest, if guys with names like tooblue and kccougar don't think they'd switch over to Dish if the mighty Cougars battled the Vandals exclusively there, they aren't themselves being entirely honest.

But they do have scoreboard on the fact that at least for the duration of the contract they'll be able to catch BYU late Friday nights on a SD channel sandwiched between a bunch of spanish channels, well we are going to have to live with that defeat. And we won't dispute the fact that it is a channel available to over 70M viewers, just like we won't dispute the fact their above ground pools can hold 60 people... but it still doesn't mean anyone is stopping by.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I love tv smack. Who the fuck cares if you are on in 70 million homes yet no one watches? lol.

Enjoy Independence BYU fan. Guess what? You might be on more tv sets, but if Utah beats USC this weekend, no one will be talking about BYU/Boise....

Oh, and I'll just leave this here to remind you all that sometimes viewership isn't a good thing:

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    There is no such thing as a BYU football fan... they are all viewership fans, and to be honest, so am I. Nothing gets me as excited as reading Nielsen ratings and speculating about ESPN contracts.

And let's be honest, if guys with names like tooblue and kccougar don't think they'd switch over to Dish if the mighty Cougars battled the Vandals exclusively there, they aren't themselves being entirely honest.

But they do have scoreboard on the fact that at least for the duration of the contract they'll be able to catch BYU late Friday nights on a SD channel sandwiched between a bunch of spanish channels, well we are going to have to live with that defeat. And we won't dispute the fact that it is a channel available to over 70M viewers, just like we won't dispute the fact their above ground pools can hold 60 people... but it still doesn't mean anyone is stopping by.
    Except for last week's game was at 3:30. Primetime Saturday afternoon football on a nationally distributed sports channel available on ALL carriers. The reality is not one single argument changes the fact that I can't watch Utah play, even against the #5 ranked team in the country! Seriously, Utah isn't the new Arizona. They are new old Utah.

Oh, and I'll just leave this here to remind you all that sometimes viewership isn't a good thing:

Oh, dear.

--Yeats

Except for last week's game was at 3:30. Primetime Saturday afternoon football on a nationally distributed sports channel available on ALL carriers. The reality is not one single argument changes the fact that I can't watch Utah play, even against the #5 ranked team in the country! Seriously, Utah isn't the new Arizona. They are new old Utah.
    The reality is not one single argument changes the fact that I can't watch BYU play, even against Idaho State! But that is because I don't have cable TV.

If BYU fans can't honestly sit back and look at the trajectories of the two programs and not see they are going in divergent ways (and here's a hint, it isn't good for BYU) then what is the point of arguing?

Don't worry, it is natural, I think we all spent time in high school trying to convince ourselves that we were better looking than we actually were.

The reality is not one single argument changes the fact that I can't watch BYU play, even against Idaho State! But that is because I don't have cable TV.

If BYU fans can't honestly sit back and look at the trajectories of the two programs and not see they are going in divergent ways (and here's a hint, it isn't good for BYU) then what is the point of arguing?

Don't worry, it is natural, I think we all spent time in high school trying to convince ourselves that we were better looking than we actually were.

He knows this. So does KCCougar. That's why they are implementing TV schmack. They are cute. Just like USU (who also plays a lot on an ESPN network)

Which makes the fact that no one watches even more comical...but maybe someday you can be like the Aggies

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogstv...essee.html.csp

Which makes the fact that no one watches even more comical...but maybe someday you can be like the Aggies

That's probably why our "crummy" TV contract garners our school 3 times as much money as BYU's TV contract.

Ouch.

--Yeats

I think they're goofing off.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I would hope so. And it is a very BYU culture thing... the uber-goofy humor. I remember visiting friends there while in college and feeling as if I had gone back in time to high school... a bunch of guys acting as nerdy as possible to impress women the only way they knew how. So there is certainly that cultural aspect to it.

I would say if I was Kodiak going up for a recruit against BYU I might just find a way for them to come across that video.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Doubt it. It's Provo, things that occurred in 1984 are just starting to become popular there.

Utah might be the new Arizona,

but BYU has become the new:

UCF, FIU, Air Force, Boise, Fresno, Middle Tennesse St, Utah State, San Jose State, Nevada, SDSU, Temple & Cincy (a.k.a. - Teams that play on Friday Night).

Enjoy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Utah might be the new Arizona,

but BYU has become the new:

UCF, FIU, Air Force, Boise, Fresno, Middle Tennesse St, Utah State, San Jose State, Nevada, SDSU, Temple & Cincy (a.k.a. - Teams that play on Friday Night).

Enjoy that.
    OK, that one's going to leave a mark.

--Yeats