Page 22 of 114 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Using black get's you a failing grade in my design classes.
    As a Highland High Ram I deeply resent this opinion.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Would you have failed batman?

Attachment 947

Or Pink Floyd?

Attachment 948

Or Jamaica?

Attachment 949
    I suppose Spinal Tap shouldn't even bother to show up.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Would you have failed batman?

Attachment 947

Or Pink Floyd?

Attachment 948

Or Jamaica?

Attachment 949
    Or the French?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Or the French?

Or Metallica

Banned

As a fellow former Highland Ram I love the black and white because black is a part of the primary palette (spelled correctly for the french language sensitive among us). But as you have noted, Utah's colours are crimson and white. When you start introducing black, stuff like fans dressing as pirates while attending games happens. That's just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The thing that ripped cougaruteforum apart was the Utes getting into the Pac 12. The Pac 12 invited Utah and the next day we wake up and our friends hate us. They are throwing stones at us, breaking our windows and setting our homes on fire. We had to flee to this promised land. For BYU fans at least, this rivalry runs deeper than religion. Take it from me, because they never hated me for my unbelief. And we Ute fans didn't even do anything. We didn't put Utah in the Pac 12 or in any way cause it. I'm glad Chris Hill and Whit and others are trying to kill the rivalry, because it's ugly. I say kill it.
    Amen.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

I have to say, I am laughing so hard right now. A BYU fan here at work just explained to me what the "ROC" banner means that I saw during last night's game. Roar Of Cougars! How did I not know this? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. That is awesome!
    Last edited by Hot Lunch; 11-21-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I have to say, I am laughing so hard right now. A BYU fan here at work just explained to me what the "ROC" banner means that I saw during last night's game. Roar Of Cougars! How did I not know this? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. That is awesome!
    Rawr!

cat1.jpg

I saw part of the second half last night. BYU looks pretty good. Great to see Haws stuffed on the last shot. BYU doesn't really put a premium on defense, and if you can get Mika out with foul trouble, there's nothing stopping anyone over 6' from scoring inside.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Amen.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    In the interest of full disclosure, when Utah was invited to join the PAC12 I said both schools should part ways and discontinue the rivalry game. Nothing has changed for me. Though I find it interesting that Chris Hill felt he had to and in fact he did lie about why the break was necessary. All he had to say is both schools should view this as a fresh start and an opportunity to chart their own course ... to plot a new trajectory (a word employed by others here in this forum).

Speaking of trajectory, y'all can believe in your "exceptionalism" and that Utah's trajectory is something it's not. The fact Utah, it's fans in particular, have recommitted to play the rivalry game after you supposedly had a legitimate out is telling.

All he had to say is both schools should view this as a fresh start and an opportunity to chart their own course ... to plot a new trajectory (a word employed by others here in this forum).
    Right, then everyone would have just said "okay".

Wow, that is so lame, and completely predictable from the TDS.

It was only 2-3 years ago that I learned about the opening prayer before each game. Now this? When will the weird revelations end?

In the interest of full disclosure, when Utah was invited to join the PAC12 I said both schools should part ways and discontinue the rivalry game. Nothing has changed for me. Though I find it interesting that Chris Hill felt he had to and in fact he did lie about why the break was necessary. All he had to say is both schools should view this as a fresh start and an opportunity to chart their own course ... to plot a new trajectory (a word employed by others here in this forum).

Speaking of trajectory, y'all can believe in your "exceptionalism" and that Utah's trajectory is something it's not. The fact Utah, it's fans in particular, have recommitted to play the rivalry game after you supposedly had a legitimate out is telling.
    what did chris hill lie about? This is the first I've heard about this...

Right, then everyone would have just said "okay".
    Who cares if everyone was OK with it? Are you saying Chris Hill lacks the courage of his convictions to be honest with his fan base? The evidence would suggest that maybe that is a correct assessment.
    Last edited by tooblue; 11-21-2013 at 09:19 AM.

So who then—which fan base—is the rivalry game more important to?

Who cares if everyone was OK with it? Are saying Chris Hill lacks the courage of his convictions to be honest with his fan base? The evidence would suggest that maybe that is a correct assessment.
    Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your ramblings. I thought you were saying you would have been better at explaining the break in games to the public than Hill was. Now I don't know what you were trying to say. Except that it was some dig at our AD, which is unacceptable.

So who then—which fan base—is the rivalry game more important to?
    There are plenty of people on both sides of the game who want to see it stay and plenty who want to see it go. There are also many who are indifferent.

But the real question is - to which team is the game more important? BYU obviously needs it for scheduling purposes now, especially if they can get more of the games moved back to November. For Utah, the game is an important reminder that we are the top local program.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your ramblings. I thought you were saying you would have been better at explaining the break in games to the public than Hill was. Now I don't know what you were trying to say. Except that it was some dig at our AD, which is unacceptable.
    It's not a dig at the AD. I have nothing against Chris Hill. It's a dig at the notion that somehow the rivalry is less important to Ute fans than it is to Cougar fans ... following the underlying theme of this thread.

It's not a dig at the AD. I have nothing against Chris Hill. It's a dig at the notion that somehow the rivalry is less important to Ute fans than it is to Cougar fans ... following the underlying theme of this thread.
    Well, I have said repeatedly on this thread that I care about BYU losing. The rivalry is alive and well with me. I will be upset if BYU beats Notre Dame this weekend. So...I thought the underlying theme of the thread was that Utah fans dislike BYU.

I have always seen this thread's theme as, "We hate you and you hate us, and we both wish we didn't care about each other but we do and deep down we know we can't stop, and that's actually kind of funny at the end of the day." horse-riding-smiley.gif

I know that not everyone sees it this way.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I will be upset if BYU beats Notre Dame this weekend...
    This weekend is it... this is the weekend where I decide where my religious affiliation lies. If BYU Athletics is a missionary arm of the LDS Church, than surely Notre Dame Athletics is the same for the Catholic Church. So, if BYU wins I'll keep on keepin' on, and if ND wins, well I'm just going to have to take a closer look into what going to church on only Christmas and Easter is really all about.

Don't let me down Spencer Hadley... don't let me down.

LOL! Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I would like to take this opportunity to wish the Cougars success at Notre Dame this weekend, I hope the Cougs are able to ROC and roll in South Bend. Hopefully Williams will be able to hold onto the ROC, and the Cougs will be able to punch in many TDs in the BLUE-zone. Irish Nation is about to get ROCed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    This weekend is it... this is the weekend where I decide where my religious affiliation lies. If BYU Athletics is a missionary arm of the LDS Church, than surely Notre Dame Athletics is the same for the Catholic Church. So, if BYU wins I'll keep on keepin' on, and if ND wins, well I'm just going to have to take a closer look into what going to church on only Christmas and Easter is really all about.

Don't let me down Spencer Hadley... don't let me down.
    Good thing BYU didn't schedule Baylor this year.

As a fellow former Highland Ram I love the black and white because black is a part of the primary palette (spelled correctly for the french language sensitive among us). But as you have noted, Utah's colours are crimson and white. When you start introducing black, stuff like fans dressing as pirates while attending games happens. That's just embarrassing.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

BYU doesn't really put a premium on defense, and if you can get Mika out with foul trouble, there's nothing stopping anyone over 6' from scoring inside.
    I really like and admire Dave Rose, but truer words were never spoken about his approach to coaching. That said, BYU's press seemed pretty effective in the closing minutes of that game (which is all I saw of it). Or maybe ISU just had too many young players on the floor that the time.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Or the French?

this convict looks way too happy, someone needs to share with him the bosom burning Spencer Hadley story.

There are plenty of people on both sides of the game who want to see it stay and plenty who want to see it go. There are also many who are indifferent.
    There's nothing more pathetic than the faux too-cool-for-school attitude that some of our fans try and exhibit. It's what happens when spite is mixed with stupidity.

Also, I strongly doubt that each side of the fence is equally represented. Those that want to see it go are often of the same camp that thinks we're wasting our time with BYU because they're convinced we can get Ohio State home-and-home.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    There's nothing more pathetic than the faux too-cool-for-school attitude that some of our fans try and exhibit. It's what happens when spite is mixed with stupidity.

Also, I strongly doubt that each side of the fence is equally represented. Those that want to see it go are often of the same camp that thinks we're wasting our time with BYU because they're convinced we can get Ohio State home-and-home.
    considering Utah has 4 games next season with teams currently in the top 15, 6 games against teams in the Top 25 and the University of Michigan, will I miss the game next year against the Zoobs?

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

Is that common? I just dislike them and want nothing more to do with them. The fact that I cannot articulate any advantage that accrues to us by competing with them makes it easy to not want to.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan