Page 112 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114 LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

I would assume it would be a lot easier for him basketball-wise to just transfer somewhere else. If he stays at BYU, they are going to make him wait until the NCAA investigation is over. If he leaves, he starts with a clean slate and BYU is just left with his mess. Don't be surprised to see Emery in a UVU uni next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I would assume it would be a lot easier for him basketball-wise to just transfer somewhere else. If he stays at BYU, they are going to make him wait until the NCAA investigation is over. If he leaves, he starts with a clean slate and BYU is just left with his mess. Don't be surprised to see Emery in a UVU uni next year.
    Except if he transfers now he has to sit out a full year, right? My understanding is that you have to have a full year at your new school before you can play, not just that you have to not play for your old team for a year. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Except if he transfers now he has to sit out a full year, right? My understanding is that you have to have a full year at your new school before you can play, not just that you have to not play for your old team for a year. But I could be wrong.

I think this is wrong. he redshirted (or withdrew form school) last year and can play anywhere, I think.

In addition, I don't think its a given that Childs returns.

Are Gavin Baxter and Connor Harding any good? I had a friend talking them up to me, but I don't remember them being huge recruits (although I note that some services have them as 4* guys).

Per 247sports, Baxter had offers from BYU, ASU, and USU. Doesn't show any other offers for Harding.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Per 247sports, Baxter had offers from BYU, ASU, and USU. Doesn't show any other offers for Harding.
    There are conflicting reports about whether UCLA offered Baxter. Usually that means there was not a legit offer.

Jackson Emery on Twitter today. In stark contrast to his tweet at the time of the story about taking the high road.

DdPmqkjVMAUK9DU.jpg
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Who's Jackson again? Nick's older brother? Is he the one who played with Jimmer? What's his beef the SLTrib?
    Former BYU basketball player. Yes. Yes. Trib got some intel on Nick and followed up (divorced, improper benefits), then reported on what they found. Nick was not allowed to comment because of his attorney. This hurt his feelings.

Who's Jackson again? Nick's older brother? Is he the one who played with Jimmer? What's his beef the SLTrib?
    Yes, yes, and he apparently feels that some at the SLTrib did his family wrong in reporting the possible violations by his brother with the Jetta.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Jackson was on the receiving end of that viscous Marshall Henderson punch of 2010. He's mad at the Trib because they had the audacity to report that he was under NCAA investigation for receiving improper benefits from a booster. Plenty of blame to go around here. :eyeroll:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Jackson Emery on Twitter today. In stark contrast to his tweet at the time of the story about taking the high road.

DdPmqkjVMAUK9DU.jpg
    And ironically, the reporters who wrote the articles were not layed off.

One tweeted back to Jackson inviting him to meet with them anytime to tell “their side”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And ironically, the reporters who wrote the articles were not layed off.

One tweeted back to Jackson inviting him to meet with them anytime to tell “their side”

Siaosi Mariner had an inspiring Father’s Day message today.

OK, kudos to BYU. That was a good (astonishing) win today.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Since Tooblue is the only BYU fan on the Board, enjoy the win. I'm still friends with ARod and to a lesser extent Kalani. I have mixed emotions watching BYU play now. I talk to ARod regularly and unlike the Utes, BYU has an offensive identity. Run the ball, play action, throw safe passes and don't force it. They did this against Arizona and Wisconsin, but not against Cal. I still think BYU is 8-3 when they get to Rice-Eccles. A few weeks ago I thought the Utes would be 9-2. I am now hoping we have 6 wins at that point.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=20513048

this is how I envision almost all BYU fans. The classic drink refill family rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=20513048

this is how I envision almost all BYU fans. The classic drink refill family rotation.
    I’m pretty certain KC is trolling the poster, but there sure are some responses in that thread that are totally bonkers. And totally BYU.

NCAA filed sanctions against BYU basketball today for improper benefits from a booster.

BYU will vacate 47 wins, lose a scholarship, and take a decent hit on their recruiting abilities. Pretty harsh, which I’m fine with.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...tudent-athlete

BYU employs the "BUT HER EMAILS" defense.

“The vacation-of-records penalty is extremely harsh and unprecedented given the details of the case,” the statement read, in part. “For more than two decades, the NCAA has not required an institution to vacate games in similar cases where the COI found there was no institutional knowledge of or involvement in the violation by either the coaching staff or other university personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    BYU employs the "BUT HER EMAILS" defense.
    I'm sure Nick tried to use that excuse on his ex-wife and her family.

No doubt the BYU’s Board of Trustees is thrilled about this.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

And Nick Emery returns to the team...

Just remember, when Utah gives a player a second chance it is because they have low standards. When BYU does it, it is being Christlike.

$12,000 doesn’t seem like much compared to the shenanigans we’ve heard about at other schools, but this makes the infractions look worse than they did at first glance:

Here is what four BYU basketball boosters provided Nick Emery to incur wrath of NCAA

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...what-four-byu/

My guess is that Mr. Tyndall is the booster whom BYU has banned from its programs. I hope Nick Emery, who seems like an angry young man, finds some happiness in his life. He’s gotten himself and those around him into a lot of trouble. I also hope we are spared any redemption story about him until after he’s done playing at BYU.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    $12,000 doesn’t seem like much compared to the shenanigans we’ve heard about at other schools, but this makes the infractions look worse than they did at first glance:

Here is what four BYU basketball boosters provided Nick Emery to incur wrath of NCAA

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...what-four-byu/

My guess is that Mr. Tyndall is the booster whom BYU has banned from its programs. I hope Nick Emery, who seems like an angry young man, finds some happiness in his life. He’s gotten himself and those around him into a lot of trouble. I also hope we are spared any redemption story about him until after he’s done playing at BYU.
    I don't really follow sanctions imposed against schools for violating rules, but it is interesting that BYU would appeal the forfeiture of games in which Emery, the ineligible player, participated. At all levels of play up through and including high school, the participation of an ineligible player results in a forfeit.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

I stumbled across this. It’s fascinating. I almost never read comments to sports stories in the Utah papers, but I looked at the first 3-4 to this one. So interesting on so many levels, especially the way some BYU fans see their place in the world.

Dick Harmon: If NCAA hits BYU this hard, what's it going to do when FBI case is resolved with collegiate bluebloods?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...luebloods.html

--Yeats

"Hit this hard"? I don't see this as a severe penalty. Just one scholarship and no postseason ban. Barely affects the program at all.

This is a fan base that lives off a 34 year old “national championship”. Having to give up wins is their worst nightmare

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Lol.

That's fantastic. I assume it was intentional. Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Lol.

Lol, that is great. I love this kind of stuff in the rivalry. Hopefully both AD’s can have fun with it.