Page 86 of 114 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    ... Except occupy a ginormous amount of real-estate in your head ... as evidence by the fact this particular thread is one of, if not the largest and most active on a Utah Utes sports message board
    I for one am happy this thread exists to give you the traction you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    ... Except occupy a ginormous amount of real-estate in your head ... as evidence by the fact this particular thread is one of, if not the largest and most active on a Utah Utes sports message board
    In my head? No, not particularly. I don't really think about them. They have nothing to offer. Nothing to give. Are you worried now that some radio jock in Nebraska is saying the Big 12 won't expand?

Best article on expansion: http://www.frogsowar.com/2016/8/1/12...icated-at-best

My take: Cougs aren't going to the Big XII any time soon.

BYU doesn't need the big 12. We are BYU

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    BYU doesn't need the big 12. We are BYU
    You should find the 21 year old kid I met this week who wouldn't stop ranting about BYU's national championship when he found out some of us were Utah fans. He'll be a great spokesman for your we are BYU campaign. (Just don't ask him details since he wasn't alive for said championship and went on to tell us no coach will ever live up to Bronco)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1315 View Post
    Gloried past? As in a single NC that was awarded by default rather than on actual merit. Further, I take your silence as admission that you have yet to do something of note this century. Sports is the ultimate what have you done for me lately, and the Y has done nothing.
    Just stop it already. The only thing more pathetic than a BYU fan wearing a 1984 national championships T-shirt is the Utah fan that's always trying to rip it off.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Just stop it already. The only thing more pathetic than a BYU fan wearing a 1984 national championships T-shirt is the Utah fan that's always trying to rip it off.
    Lol - well put.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    They won an NC. I'll let them have it. But I will not allow them to pretend that they were the best team in the nation that year. They weren't. They didn't win it, they were awarded it. There is a difference, a significant one.

You would think that with the premium that BYU allegedly puts on honesty that they would have a huge issue with a representative of the university straight up lying to the press.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...YU.html?pg=all

BYU welcomes as full members of the university community all whose conduct meets university standards. We are very clear and open about our honor code, which all students understand and commit to when they apply for admission. One’s stated sexual orientation is not an issue.
    Oh and it isn't some's "stated' sexual orientation, it is their sexual orientation. Way to go about and prove the point in your statement.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    You would think that with the premium that BYU allegedly puts on honesty that they would have a huge issue with a representative of the university straight up lying to the press.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...YU.html?pg=all

Oh and it isn't some's "stated' sexual orientation, it is their sexual orientation. Way to go about and prove the point in your statement.

I think he threw in the word "stated" to mean that sexual orientation isn't an issue as long as it is just "stated" but not acted upon. That's how he's making his statement accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I think he threw in the word "stated" to mean that sexual orientation isn't an issue as long as it is just "stated" but not acted upon. That's how he's making his statement accurate.
    When viewed in the context of comments such as there are no homosexuals in the church, continued use of the term same sex attraction, etc., I disagree that was the intent. The intent was to continue that type of narrative.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Just how much 'acting upon' a person's orientation will be accepted? Obviously sexual activity outside of marriage is verboten, but what would happen to a pair of men walking hand in hand and hugging, or a pair of women playing grab-ass in public?

And then of course the big elephant in the room is what will the school do is either of those theory couples gets married? If they are LDS they will most likely lose their Ecclesiastical Endorsement and of course would be forced to leave school. But what if they belong to a church that sanctions gay marriage and will still give them the Ecclesiastical Endorsement?

This is where the statement becomes extremely sticky for The y.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    But what if they belong to a church that sanctions gay marriage and will still give them the Ecclesiastical Endorsement?
    A fascinating question. Probably they'd expel them based on some other ground than the ecclesiastical endorsement.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A fascinating question. Probably they'd expel them based on some other ground than the ecclesiastical endorsement.
    Yep. For example, it doesn't matter if your church is fine with drinking, you still can't do it at BYU.

This is a sobering video. If I'm doing the math right, there are more than 400 BYU students that have attempted suicide due to their sexual orientation. To me, that makes Holmoe's earlier comment pretty tone deaf.

https://youtu.be/Ym0jXg-hKCI

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This is a sobering video. If I'm doing the math right, there are more than 400 BYU students that have attempted suicide due to their sexual orientation. To me, that makes Holmoe's earlier comment pretty tone deaf.
    The silver lining to BYU's hurdles in trying to get into the Big-12, is more people will be interested in, and moved by this sort of information, than before. I have no idea what the percentages are, but the number is greater.

I know there are a couple of moms on my street who would stand up and disagree, if they heard today the viewpoints that predominated on this topic, 10 years ago. They haven't lost any children, but they've definitely been through the wringer. These moms have certainly earned my respect and admiration.

This is...interesting. Especially the Sept. 10 game prediction. (Which, in fairness, seems light-hearted and intentionally funny. I think.)

Best-case scenario for BYU football

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This is...interesting. Especially the Sept. 10 game prediction. (Which, in fairness, seems light-hearted and intentionally funny. I think.)

LOL. I think we are more likely to get 10 sacks in that game than we are to give up 42 points.

I found it to be pretty entertaining, but even if it was light-hearted, why-oh-why-oh-why do those people keep feeding the expectations monster the way they do? All fans are homers, and we all get bummed out when our teams don't do well, but there's a large percentage of truly delusional people in that fan base.

Sports fans all willingly get on the their respective roller coasters, but they're the only group I can think of who can't wait to get right back on their roller coaster, knowing theirs will climb to insane heights, only to come down so hard it goes through the track, starts a wildfire, registers on the Reichter scale, and creates a EPA Superfund cleanup zone, with thousands wandering around disoriented, burned, broken bones, like a surreal plane accident.

And then a week later, the process starts anew.

Articles that are a lot of fun. Nothing is wrong with a bit of fantasy now and then...

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I found it to be pretty entertaining, but even if it was light-hearted, why-oh-why-oh-why do those people keep feeding the expectations monster the way they do? All fans are homers, and we all get bummed out when our teams don't do well, but there's a large percentage of truly delusional people in that fan base.

Sports fans all willingly get on the their respective roller coasters, but they're the only group I can think of who can't wait to get right back on their roller coaster, knowing theirs will climb to insane heights, only to come down so hard it goes through the track, starts a wildfire, registers on the Reichter scale, and creates a EPA Superfund cleanup zone, with thousands wandering around disoriented, burned, broken bones, like a surreal plane accident.

And then a week later, the process starts anew.
    I think it's cultural and stems from the worldview of many Great Basin Mormons. First, there's the tendency to disdain "the world" while simultaneously craving the world's recognition. Add to that the church's apocalyptic beliefs. Then the significance of every notable BYU achievement (real or potential) is exaggerated beyond recognition. All fans do this to some extent. They [many BYU fans] do it in a high-definition CGI that puts Pixar to shame.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-23-2016 at 07:51 AM.

--Yeats

I think it's cultural and stems from the worldview of many Great Basin Mormons. First, there's the tendency to disdain "the world" while simultaneously craving the world's recognition. Add to that the church's apocalyptic beliefs. Then the significance of every notable BYU achievement (real or potential) is exaggerated beyond recognition. All fans do this to some extent. They do it in a high-definition CGI that puts Pixar to shame.
    In a way it is too bad that God knows everything. How great would it be for so many BYU fans to get to the pearly gates only to hear the phrase, "Ty Detmer? I've never heard of her..."

Your assessment of not being in the world but craving its validation mixed in with an impending apocalypse is spot on.

I think it's cultural and stems from the worldview of many Great Basin Mormons. First, there's the tendency to disdain "the world" while simultaneously craving the world's recognition. Add to that the church's apocalyptic beliefs. Then the significance of every notable BYU achievement (real or potential) is exaggerated beyond recognition. All fans do this to some extent. They do it in a high-definition CGI that puts Pixar to shame.
    This is why you're a truly impressive thinker, a credit to your associations.

I think it's cultural and stems from the worldview of many Great Basin Mormons. First, there's the tendency to disdain "the world" while simultaneously craving the world's recognition. Add to that the church's apocalyptic beliefs. Then the significance of every notable BYU achievement (real or potential) is exaggerated beyond recognition. All fans do this to some extent. They [many BYU fans] do it in a high-definition CGI that puts Pixar to shame.
    Not to mention that we all use sports as a form of self identification. The use of the pronoun "we" vs "they" or "them" when discussing our favorite teams highlights how close those ties feel. The issue for many BYU fans is that people do the same thing with religion. So there is this unintended connection between sports and religion where success on the sports fields equates to some sort of validation (or repudiation) of their religion. In reality that connection should never exist, but we can't help ourselves.

There was a story in the salt lake trib yesterday that talked about Utah's boffo Olympic ratings. Fun fact is that an important member of this board was cited extensively in that article

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    There was a story in the salt lake trib yesterday that talked about Utah's boffo Olympic ratings. Fun fact is that an important member of this board was cited extensively in that article

This article?

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4254108-1...onfirm-it-utah
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 08-23-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Yes that is the article. It talks about why mormons love the Olympics which is related to the conversation above.

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 08-23-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Hey now. Take it easy.
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 08-23-2016 at 01:24 PM.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Hey now. Take it easy.

did I out you?

did I out you?

NO. He has been out of the closet for some time now.