Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Hybrid View

We're just having fun, tooblue. The pathology of this rivalry is complex and fascinating and we are trying to make sense of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We're just having fun, tooblue. The pathology of this rivalry is complex and fascinating and we are trying to make sense of it.

It's all fun and games until some one gets their eye poked out. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    It's all fun and games until some one gets their eye poked out. :-)

That is why there are doctors around.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Now this is what we're talking about:

Commentary: BYU and Utah football programs aren't all that different

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865...different.html

It is inconceivable that such a piece would ever appear in the LA Times about USC and UCLA, or in the San Francisco Chronicle about Stanford and Cal, or...pick a rivalry.

Like I said, it's a pathology.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    Yes. Except you guys were cut with a broken, one-handled pair of safety scissors.
    Yup. Rough hewn, tough and comfortable in our own skin. Sounds about right.

and comfortable in our own skin. .
    Ok this may be the funniest thing I have seen posted about Y fans.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Ok this may be the funniest thing I have seen posted about Y fans.
    I thought it was funny too but hey, since I am a Y fan and we are incredibly resourceful I just rolled with it ... You can blame your Ute comrad for the poor metaphor in the first place.

image.jpg
    And I thought it was the Yahoo logo all this time.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 08-24-2013 at 05:20 PM.

The BYU/Utah rivalry is this:

Pre LaVell - Utah won almost 70% of the time.

LaVell - BYU won almost 100% of the time.

Post Detmer - Utah is a couple of wins away from beating BYU 70% of the time (actually, Utah has won exactly 70% of the time in Provo the last 20 years).

BYU had a nice run. It ended over 20 years ago. Since then, this series has returned to its normalcy, with Utah winning 70% of the time.

If anyone is "due" for a win, it's Utah. When they win the next three, it will bring them back to their historical win percentage of just under 70%.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    The BYU/Utah rivalry is this:

Pre LaVell - Utah won almost 70% of the time.

LaVell - BYU won almost 100% of the time.

Post Detmer - Utah is a couple of wins away from beating BYU 70% of the time (actually, Utah has won exactly 70% of the time in Provo the last 20 years).

BYU had a nice run. It ended over 20 years ago. Since then, this series has returned to its normalcy, with Utah winning 70% of the time.

If anyone is "due" for a win, it's Utah. When they win the next three, it will bring them back to their historical win percentage of just under 70%.
    We are going to kill you this year in football. Kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We'll kill you worse.

--Yeats

Well, that's like your opinion man.
    André Gide

Do you have southern speed?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Does this mean we need to start a 2013 Utah Football Death Watch thread?

We are going to kill you this year in basketball. KILL you.

But there's a bear in the woods.

Krysko.jpg

--Yeats

Good bump, Lebowski. I hope you were able to catch the Utah-BYU game at some beautiful location like Powell or Arches.

Since it is still rivalry week for us, here is one last reason why the decision not to play BYU for three years is stupid: we will be a better team over those years.

Next year we have our starting QB (Wilson), RB (Poole), 2 best WRs (Anderson & Scott), 3 starting OL (Poutasi, Jr Salt Jr, and Aiono), and Jake HOF Murphy coming back on offense. We need to replace our C and LG and we lose Denham and Fitzy (but get Scott back). That's most of the offense coming back.

On defense, we have more serious losses: most of our DLine is gone (except for Orchard) and we lose McGill and Michael Sky Walker (and maybe Blechen if he comes back). But, as we all know, Whittingham is a witch when it comes to replenishing the Dline.

I don't know as much about BYU, but nearly every player that impressed me on Saturday is gone next year: Van Noy, Manumanumanu, Hoffman, [Sorenson, Daniel], and Skye Povey (KIDDING). The only thing of value they have coming back is J. Williams and Craig Bills. Throw in the fact that Apo probably declares early for the NFL and you have a pretty decimated bunch.

I'd love to get another shot at them next year. As it is, only the freshmen on this team will ever get to play BYU again. On the bright side, that means that BYU will have to deal with our lockdown corners, our long snapper, our punter, and 2016 Pac-12 player of the Year Andy Phillips.*

* Andy is married to a former Cougarette President (pictued below). Utah football is a missionary tool!

Wrong forum. Moran.

You deserve this.

moron.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Wrong forum. Moran.

You deserve this.
    He was poking fun at himself.
    Brother Lebowski is always welcome here.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Is there a broken record in here? I've been hearing that for 20 years. Other than the odd miracle win by BYU...

Good luck. Everything says the opposite is true.

BYU doesn't have a corner on the "strange and quirky" market around here. It seems to be a state phenomenon. Everyone here is always so concerned about getting the adoration and acceptance from others - whether it is out-of-state media or just opposing fans.

It drives me nuts.

BYU doesn't have a corner on the "strange and quirky" market around here. It seems to be a state phenomenon. Everyone here is always so concerned about getting the adoration and acceptance from others - whether it is out-of-state media or just opposing fans.

It drives me nuts.
    My cultural heritage has followed me from Utah to L.A. I come to this board to get praise and adoration, but to no avail. You guys are letting me down.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    My cultural heritage has followed me from Utah to L.A. I come to this board to get praise and adoration, but to no avail. You guys are letting me down.
    You don't smell that bad.

We might be more similar than different, but at some point a few on the blue side took a demented side detour. We don't see awkward public exclamations (ie - Brady Poppinga, Max Hall, Roger Reid) involving morals or religion from the red side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Nice try half of utahs game last year were on fox (the free over the air station) also is you have a package that has espn2 our espn u you have fox sports 1

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh, I tried to watch Utah last season. But that's the point. Why do I have to upgrade to see the vaunted PAC 12? Shouldn't their teams play on the basic cable or satellite channels? You really think I should pay a premium to watch the Utes?

Oh, I tried to watch Utah last season. But that's the point. Why do I have to upgrade to see the vaunted PAC 12? Shouldn't their teams play on the basic cable or satellite channels? You really think I should pay a premium to watch the Utes?
    Our opinion on that matter is somewhat biased, so you might want to check with someone else. Just as sort of a reality check.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

Guys, guys, this is a snipe hunt. You are arguing about cable subscriptions with a guy who believes that BYU fans are knowledgeable about the game of football; if you've ever been to Lavell's House, you know that the flirting to game-watching ratio is off the charts.

Toolblue is a national treasure, but I think our time is better spent compiling a list of famous Weber State alumni.

I really don't care if TB gets to watch Utah games.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I really don't care if TB gets to watch Utah games.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Guys, guys, this is a snipe hunt. You are arguing about cable subscriptions with a guy who believes that BYU fans are knowledgeable about the game of football; if you've ever been to Lavell's House, you know that the flirting to game-watching ratio is off the charts.

Toolblue is a national treasure, but I think our time is better spent compiling a list of famous Weber State alumni.
    Hey now. I made no such claims about the BYU fan base. They have their own unique qualities and cultural proclivities that have little to with what's going on on the field. Regardless, I guess BYU is a second class team playing on first tier networks. Interesting no?