Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    a) It hasn't been 100 years. The series dates from 1922 -- plus six games played in the 1890s that one school refuses to count, despite them being split 3-3.
    b) Just because Utah played them every year, that does not make them a rival. Until 1972, Utah consistently beat them.
    c) The earliest any actual rivalry may have started was 1972 when the series completely flipped with them beating Utah consistently.
    d) At best for them, the series became truly competitive starting in 1993. At worst, it flipped back to Utah as they have won 13 of the last 20.

For me, the series stopped being fun in 2009. I don't care if Utah never plays them again.
    Having been born during the early eighties during the Lavell Edwards domination of Utah, I can't speak to the rivalry before that time and would agree that it really heated up starting in 1993 when the games became competitive again and have remained so other than the three Utah blowout victories. I still enjoy the series but having it played in September and not being in the same conference has taken a lot of the luster off for me. I don't think the rivalry will ever truly die but I feel that in time it will become similar to the USU rivalry in that it is two instate teams going at it but with no real meaningful outcome like a conference championship fight brought to the game. Me and my cousin often joke how in 10 years our now young boys will ask us why we have such a dislike for BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Don't be embarrassed. We are just having fun with aspects of BYU that are embarrassing to BYU fans. You know this: If you go on a BYU board and poke fun at the embarrassing stuff coming out of their program (Max Hall's rant, Broncoisms, Crowton RUTS) they will attack you furiously. Tells you everything you need to know about how they feel about their own program.

EDIT: By the way, if you look at Senioritis' first post and this thread's title, its tongue-in-cheek nature is pretty clear. We need to have more fun with the rivalry. I envy USC and UCLA fans, who do have fun with their rivalry, probably because it's not laden with the religious baggage that makes so many people take the BYU-Utah rivalry so doggone seriously.
    Ha. Look at you backpedal. You aren't fooling anyone, amigo.

The best thing about this board is we get to see LA Ute with the filters off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Ha. Look at you backpedal. You aren't fooling anyone, amigo.

The best thing about this board is we get to see LA Ute with the filters off.
    I am among my own kind, talking about the enemy, and freed from the need to be polite (I know, I know, it's a foreign concept on TMBFKACUF, but try to grasp it when you visit here). If you come here and subject yourself to my withering, pithy and dead-on observations about the Team Down South and its fans, you deserve what you get. You have been warned.

P.S. You do realize that you have now become Exhibit A for the proposition in Post # 89, right?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    This entire thread is embarassing. Utes and cougars are cut from the same cloth. The more you mock the zoobs of the BYU fan base the more you solidify your utter zootness. The more you try to tie Bronco's quirkiness to being a precondition of the LDS churches mandate for the football team at BYU the more your reveal your own irrational insecurities.

Both fan bases are naive and rediculous. The media in Utah only exacerbates the problem. Typically, at this time of year I tune in to Utah radio via the Web to feed a deeply ingrained football fetish I just can't quit. I can't do it this year due to the collective idiocy I tuned into last year. To hear them talk Utah was the new Alabama. At least those that covered BYU were realistic about their place in the football universe ... Well, kinda sorta.

Sorry Senioritis but getting giddy about what channel your team plays on is akin to zoots raving about being the kids who got invited to the junior prom but only because the socal schools needed a sucker to help pay for the limo. By the way I would've loved to watch Utah on tv last year, at least once ... I won't hold my breath waiting this season.

Two Utes, I love you like a brother cause well, we are brothers. But your comments above make you sound like a dip shit. Bronco is just wired that way.

Utah is the new Arizona. Brad Rock stole my line.
    I would just like to say that I object, I vehemently object, to several items in the above post. However, it seems wrong to sully game week against the Aggies and their future 2013 Heisman winner QB by responding in much depth. I'm sure we'll have plenty to say in the coming weeks.

However, I would just like to make one point. For fans of the BYU to continually trot out this "new Arizona" or "new Washington State" line rings especially hollow when considering the on-field results of recent BYU-Utah football contests. Scoreboard only sucks when you are getting your ass kicked.

I say this in kindness, especially to a distinguished fan of the new University of Chicago.

BYU doesn't have a corner on the "strange and quirky" market around here. It seems to be a state phenomenon. Everyone here is always so concerned about getting the adoration and acceptance from others - whether it is out-of-state media or just opposing fans.

It drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    BYU doesn't have a corner on the "strange and quirky" market around here. It seems to be a state phenomenon. Everyone here is always so concerned about getting the adoration and acceptance from others - whether it is out-of-state media or just opposing fans.

It drives me nuts.
    My cultural heritage has followed me from Utah to L.A. I come to this board to get praise and adoration, but to no avail. You guys are letting me down.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

lol. And I sat on a rock on a ridge above the canyon at Lake Powell and listened to the game on my iPhone.

The fishing was fantastic, btw.
    See, I knew you were a smart guy. Every BYU fan should follow Lebowski's lead and watch the game surrounded by nature: evidence of God's existence.
    Last edited by Applejack; 08-27-2013 at 12:54 PM.

My cultural heritage has followed me from Utah to L.A. I come to this board to get praise and adoration, but to no avail. You guys are letting me down.
    You don't smell that bad.

lol. And I sat on a rock on a ridge above the canyon at Lake Powell and listened to the game on my iPhone.

The fishing was fantastic, btw.
    Hedging your entertainment bets? You lack conviction.

P.S. You do realize that you have now become Exhibit A for the proposition in Post # 89, right?
    You mean the "having fun with the rivalry" part? I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

We might be more similar than different, but at some point a few on the blue side took a demented side detour. We don't see awkward public exclamations (ie - Brady Poppinga, Max Hall, Roger Reid) involving morals or religion from the red side.

You mean the "having fun with the rivalry" part? I agree.
    In truth, you have always been one of the good guys in that regard.

Then again...

image.jpg

"I see imaginary backpedaling in LA Ute's posts. The backpedaling doesn't know it's imaginary. And...I post about it on sports message boards. I don't know why; I just love the idea of him backpedaling."

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    I would just like to say that I object, I vehemently object, to several items in the above post. However, it seems wrong to sully game week against the Aggies and their future 2013 Heisman winner QB by responding in much depth. I'm sure we'll have plenty to say in the coming weeks.

However, I would just like to make one point. For fans of the BYU to continually trot out this "new Arizona" or "new Washington State" line rings especially hollow when considering the on-field results of recent BYU-Utah football contests. Scoreboard only sucks when you are getting your ass kicked.

I say this in kindness, especially to a distinguished fan of the new University of Chicago.
    First of all we both know that Utah has never beaten BYU because BYU has only ever lost the rivalry game by beating themselves. Secondly, as far as I know I am the first and only Y fan to trot out Utah is the new __________. Admittedly, I don't spend much time laughing at the stoopid LDS faithful on other supposed BYU sports related sites and I think my account on that other overpopulated bastion of utter zoobness has been deactivated. Regardless, and despite the fact Brad Rock is a hack, he is correct in his (borrowed) assessment.

Even if after the BOT finally lower the boom and all I will be left with is raving about law school rankings, I will have been a better man for embracing the majesty of the royal blue in my youth. I still have nightmares of the Scott-Mitchell-injured-arm-trick-play, daffy duck formations and bad losses to the Vandals of Idaho. You are right, though. You all should worry first about an arse kicking from the aggies before your last date in Provo for a season. Hey, by the way, why did Utah bail out on future games and feel compelled to make up a story about some rule imposed on the school by it's new conference as justification? Who's afraid of whom?
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-27-2013 at 02:51 PM.

First of all we both know that Utah has never beaten BYU because BYU has only ever lost the rivalry game by beating themselves. Secondly, as far as I know I am the first and only Y fan to trot out Utah is the new __________. Admittedly, I don't spend much time laughing at the stoopid LDS faithful on other supposed BYU sports related sites and I think my account on that other overpopulated bastion of utter zoobness has been deactivated. Regardless, and despite the fact Brad Rock is a hack, he is correct in his (borrowed) assessment.

Even if after the BOT finally lower the boom and all I will be left with is raving about law school rankings, I will have been a better man for embracing the majesty of the royal blue in my youth. I still have nightmares of the Scott-Mitchell-injured-arm-trick-play, daffy duck formations and bad losses to the Vandals of Idaho. You are right, though. You all should worry first about an arse kicking from the aggies before your last date in Provo for a season. Hey, by the way, why did Utah bail out on future games and feel compelled to make up a story about some rule imposed on the school by it's new conference as justification? Who's afraid of whom?
    If you guys will play in slc every year. We will play you every year in November.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

So, Utah is a MWC school. When Urban was here, he talked about how Utah's #1's were as good as anybody's. He always said that the #2's is where you saw the non-BCS come through.

Utah joins the PAC-12, and when they have their 1's going, they do pretty good. They almost beat USC down in LA, had the lead on Washington, then Wynn got hurt, Hays came in (#2) and you saw that Utah was screwed at that point. Hays did a valiant job, but he just wasn't a PAC-12 QB. Utah still won 8 games and did better than TCU their first year in a BCS conference. Then the next year happened. Again, Utah's best offensive player, White, gets hurt, and Utah gets crushed. That depth came through again.

Fast forward to 2013. We finally have depth. We have PAC-12 OL men. We are 4 deep at RB. We are 7 deep at WR. 3 deep at TE. DL is stacked as usual. We have depth at CB and S.

So, Utah finally has depth, the problem now is, they need experience. Year 3, and Utah is progressing right where they should be.

And that makes Utah the Arizona of the PAC-12?

Anyone who says that this early is a fucking idiot. Sorry, you are.

There is nothing to show that Utah is Washington State or Arizona. Nothing at all. Not once has Utah had a PAC-12 QB. It looks like they have at least three now. Not once has Utah had a PAC-12 RB (size and speed wise). They have that now. Same with OL, etc.

Everything points to the fact that Utah should be able to have similar success to Washington. A scouting service just said that Utah is the #3 state in the West as far as high school recruits go, just passing Washington. Over the last 20 some odd years, Washington has been to the Rose Bowl a little over 20% of the time, or about once in every 5 years.

As everything stands right now, that should be Utah's goal. There isn't any reason why they can't accomplish that. They have the facilities, they have the high school prospects, they have the resources. Utah's coaches just need to go out and get the job done.

Finally, Utah made up some story about the PAC-12 saying "no" to November games? Give me a break. Not once has the University said that. All along, Hill has said Utah wants to play an A game, a B game and a C game. BYU is an A game. Michigan is an A game. Michigan is a better A game than BYU. So BYU got bumped. That's it. Nothing else to it. This "no" to November games is cougarboard bullshit made up to prove that the PAC-12 is a bunch of bigots, when that is not the case at all.

Before you go off spouting about who is afraid of who, maybe you should realize that the last 20 years, Utah has beat BYU in Provo 70% of the time. BYU is Utah's bitch. Yeah, that screams fear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    So, Utah is a MWC school. When Urban was here, he talked about how Utah's #1's were as good as anybody's. He always said that the #2's is where you saw the non-BCS come through.

Utah joins the PAC-12, and when they have their 1's going, they do pretty good. They almost beat USC down in LA, had the lead on Washington, then Wynn got hurt, Hays came in (#2) and you saw that Utah was screwed at that point. Hays did a valiant job, but he just wasn't a PAC-12 QB. Utah still won 8 games and did better than TCU their first year in a BCS conference. Then the next year happened. Again, Utah's best offensive player, White, gets hurt, and Utah gets crushed. That depth came through again.

Fast forward to 2013. We finally have depth. We have PAC-12 OL men. We are 4 deep at RB. We are 7 deep at WR. 3 deep at TE. DL is stacked as usual. We have depth at CB and S.

So, Utah finally has depth, the problem now is, they need experience. Year 3, and Utah is progressing right where they should be.

There is nothing to show that Utah is Washington State or Arizona. Nothing at all. Not once has Utah had a PAC-12 QB. It looks like they have at least three now. Not once has Utah had a PAC-12 RB (size and speed wise). They have that now. Same with OL, etc.

Everything points to the fact that Utah should be able to have similar success to Washington. A scouting service just said that Utah is the #3 state in the West as far as high school recruits go, just passing Washington. Over the last 20 some odd years, Washington has been to the Rose Bowl a little over 20% of the time, or about once in every 5 years.

As everything stands right now, that should be Utah's goal. There isn't any reason why they can't accomplish that. They have the facilities, they have the high school prospects, they have the resources. Utah's coaches just need to go out and get the job done.

Finally, Utah made up some story about the PAC-12 saying "no" to November games? Give me a break. Not once has the University said that. All along, Hill has said Utah wants to play an A game, a B game and a C game. BYU is an A game. Michigan is an A game. Michigan is a better A game than BYU. So BYU got bumped. That's it. Nothing else to it. This "no" to November games is cougarboard bullshit made up to prove that the PAC-12 is a bunch of bigots, when that is not the case at all.

Before you go off spouting about who is afraid of who, maybe you should realize that the last 20 years, Utah has beat BYU in Provo 70% of the time. BYU is Utah's bitch. Yeah, that screams fear to me.

Do you realize that you just got trolled?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    He's unaware of tooblue's shiftiness. Give him time.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Dang. Good job tooblue. Good job.

. . .So, Utah finally has depth, the problem now is, they need experience. Year 3, and Utah is progressing right where they should be. . .
    I wish I had your confidence in this. My hope is strong, but the part of me that was at the Arizona State game last year won't let me have the confidence yet. Time will tell.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-27-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I wish I had your confidence in this. My hope is strong, but he part of me that was at the Arizona State game last year won't let me have the confidence yet. Time will tell.
    Yeah. I talk a big game on here. As much as my brain tells me the game on Thursday should return to the old ways, I am nervous. Utah SHOULD do a lot of things. It's something else to see if they DO.

I like it. Come hard, come strong. I'm not completely trolling, only a little and in the spirit of this thread. But I do have some thoughts with regards to yours:

1. Excuses are like arm pits. Everyone has one and they all stink ...

2. Utah is the new Arizona at this point of their foray into the PAC. That's indisputable. Will Utah have the depth to truly compete year in and year out? A Rational, realistic mind says not likely. Every 4 - 5 years? Maybe, with the right coaching and in part due to an upgrade in facilities etc. Of course, USC, UCLA and Stanford will always out-recruit Utah. What's more is Whit that right coach? The jury is out at this point. Winning solves many things. It better start Thursday ...

3. At best the decision to not play BYU was the result of a combination of newly found Ute hubris, non ratified new conference agreements and miscommunications coupled with a miscalculation on the part of Dr. Hill as to how such news would be received. At worst, Dr. Hill and the Utes were caught in a lie. Regardless, the move was motivated in large part by fear of the opponent and the game ...

4. Utah isn't even the most popular college football team in their own media market. Who owns what? Utah needs this game more than they need a game with Michigan. To his credit Dr. Hill seems to have figured that out.

I like it. Come hard, come strong. I'm not completely trolling, only a little and in the spirit of this thread. But I do have some thoughts with regards to yours:

1. Excuses are like arm pits. Everyone has one and they all stink ...

2. Utah is the new Arizona at this point of their foray into the PAC. That's indisputable. Will Utah have the depth to truly compete year in and year out? A Rational, realistic mind says not likely. Every 4 - 5 years? Maybe, with the right coaching and in part due to an upgrade in facilities etc. Of course, USC, UCLA and Stanford will always out-recruit Utah. What's more is Whit that right coach? The jury is out at this point. Winning solves many things. It better start Thursday ...

3. At best the decision to not play BYU was the result of a combination of newly found Ute hubris, non ratified new conference agreements and miscommunications coupled with a miscalculation on the part of Dr. Hill as to how such news would be received. At worst, Dr. Hill and the Utes were caught in a lie. Regardless, the move was motivated in large part by fear of the opponent and the game ...

4. Utah isn't even the most popular college football team in their own media market. Who owns what? Utah needs this game more than they need a game with Michigan. To his credit Dr. Hill seems to have figured that out.
    I think Arizona aspires to be the next Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

--Yeats

2. Utah is the new Arizona at this point of their foray into the PAC. That's indisputable.
    I guess I don't feel so bad about that. When Utah was invited to join the Pac-12, I figured we would be an Arizona type program - competitive in bursts but usually middle of the pack. Zona, Cal, OSU, Stanford, ASU. They are all in that middle tier. What I would hate to see is Utah becoming the new Wazzu. Time will tell.

I gather from some other posts that you are Canadian, so I forgive your lack of knowledge with regards to American football. I should point out that we do have a hockey thread you might enjoy.

Of course, USC, UCLA and Stanford will always out-recruit
    I'm in a wait and see mode on Stanford. They are not a historic powerhouse, and this might just be one of their little runs. Suppose they underperform this year and finish 6-6 or even 8-4? USC can handle 4-5 years in a row like that and still rope in the 5 star guys. Stanford? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I guess I don't feel so bad about that. When Utah was invited to join the Pac-12, I figured we would be an Arizona type program - competitive in bursts but usually middle of the pack. Zona, Cal, OSU, Stanford, ASU. They are all in that middle tier. What I would hate to see is Utah becoming the new Wazzu. Time will tell.

I gather from some other posts that you are Canadian, so I forgive your lack of knowledge with regards to American football. I should point out that we do have a hockey thread you might enjoy.
    I'm a Red blooded American born and raised in the shadow of RES now living in the great white north. On Saturdays I played touch football in the south end zone as as boy while my father and brothers watched the Utes get beat by podunk state after podunk state. Time will tell. One thing I know is Utah will never out recruit any of the west coast teams, not even Oregon or Washington. What's more they can't even out recruit BYU.

I fear Utah is on the fast track to being the next Wazzu. Middle tier is a good hope, I guess. Hey listen. I am really a sports bigamist. If I could watch Utah each week (so long as it doesn't conflict with the BYU game) I would. What's more I have met the venerated LA Ute in the flesh when I took my parents to the watch Jug Head and his faulty shoulders give away a winnable game to the golden domers under the shadow of touch down Jesus. I'll be at the University of Virginia this Saturday to cheer on the Cougs. I know my football. For the record: I hate hockey.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.

I think Arizona aspires to be the next Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    We all have dreams LA; dream big I say, but that's one big dream!

I'm a Red blooded American born and raised in the shadow of RES now living in the great white north. On Saturdays I played touch football in the south end zone as as boy while my father and brothers watched the Utes get beat by podunk state after podunk state.
    Is that Mac's kids? If so, maybe we were playing against each other in the end zone. Man, I loved that. Free admission at half time.

I'll be at the University of Virginia this Saturday to cheer on the Cougs. I know my football. For the record: I hate hockey.
    I can't imagine paying money for that crapfest, but at least you'll be able to see one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. Say hi to C-Ville for me.

? . .What's more they can't even out recruit BYU. . .
    Let's see, what is the proper response here? I assume you are talking about football.

I could go with a Lee Corso "Not so fast , my friend". or a copywrited Jeff Lebowski "Oh Brother".

Recruiting is an art with inexact measurements, but I don't think you'll find to may experts that would argue against the fact that Utah has clearly moved ahead of BYU in the past few years in football recruiting.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-28-2013 at 07:45 AM.

One thing I know is Utah will never out recruit any of the west coast teams, not even Oregon or Washington. What's more they can't even out recruit BYU.

I fear Utah is on the fast track to being the next Wazzu. Middle tier is a good hope, I guess.

I say this with love.

--Yeats