Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Hybrid View

I guess I am in the minority in that I don't have any problem with this week. But maybe I juat haven't been around any angry Cougar fans.

Sorry for your loss, Pat. I think you did the right thing, in that sometimes we just have to take a step back and recognize what is truly important in life. God bless.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Ok, maybe it's just me... but this appears to be far too much sucking of Lewbowski's big 'ole BYU ass in the quit you thread.

Damn... have some self respect people.

NSFW (language)

The deference is only natural. The Dude is the creator of this site.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I think it is a derivative of something he was involved with that included Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    You have to go a little farther back to CougarGuard.com and its now almost forgotten creator, Mike Waters, whom some would still consider a visionary if only for this post:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...83&postcount=1

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I think it is a derivative of something he was involved with that included Utes.
    He still seems to abide.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You have to go a little farther back to CougarGuard.com and its now almost forgotten creator, Mike Waters, whom some would still consider a visionary if only for this post:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...83&postcount=1
    You are all great guys. I don't know this Waters person, but I understand he lived in Dallas, so he must be special.

BYU losing to Bo Diddley Tech. Lol

You all realize most of the "reporters" for the Deseret News and KSL aren't actual journalists right?

They've laid off most of their news staff and instead let anyone submit articles to be published, paying them a nominal fee if it is published.

That's how West Valley City's mayor got in hot water. He submitted pro WVC "articles" under an assumed name but was later exposed.

They also hire students at opposing schools to write road reports on sports like gymnastics, or just publish the Ute press release as if it were an article.

Shall we start a local media thread so we can start bashing them here the same way they get bashed at UF.N?

Or maybe we can just get over the local media. Yeah, the local media is often bad to ridiculous -- though I continue to see evidence of a sea change because of Utah being in the Pac-12, and the win over Stanford can only accelerate that change.

But if you don't like it, don't listen to, read or follow local media members. Don't think that you're going to be making a statement by doing so because they probably won't even notice.

Social media often brings out the worst in people, or at least it gives voice to the least common denomenator element. I think a better response would be to try and elevate the discussion with intelligent and respectful comments. I've always believed that if you want respect, you have to give it to get it. If Utah fans don't act with respect, why should they expect to get any?

You can't antagonize and influence at the same time. Please be quiet if you can't be respectful.
    Last edited by USS Utah; 10-16-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Please be quiet if you can't be respectful.
    With respect... that might be honestly too much to hope for in the BYU thread.

This emoticon says "uzi"... but this is an AK-47.

With respect... that might be honestly too much to hope for in the BYU thread.

This emoticon says "uzi"... but this is an AK-47.
    Shut up!
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Banned
    Shut up!

Shall we start a local media thread so we can start bashing them here the same way they get bashed at UF.N?

Or maybe we can just get over the local media. Yeah, the local media is often bad to ridiculous -- though I continue to see evidence of a sea change because of Utah being in the Pac-12, and the win over Stanford can only accelerate that change.

But if you don't like it, don't listen to, read or follow local media members. Don't think that you're going to be making a statement by doing so because they probably won't even notice.

Social media often brings out the worst in people, or at least it gives voice to the least common denomenator element. I think a better response would be to try and elevate the discussion with intelligent and respectful comments. I've always believed that if you want respect, you have to give it to get it. If Utah fans don't act with respect, why should they expect to get any?

You can't antagonize and influence at the same time. Please be quiet if you can't be respectful.
    Not being a resident Utahn, I don't follow the sports news media there. So my questions are just efforts to understand the system that has developed. I find it really surprising.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    They also hire students at opposing schools to write road reports on sports like gymnastics, or just publish the Ute press release as if it were an article.
    So they don't really have editors. Wow.

--Yeats

So they don't really have editors. Wow.
    There are some. But they've sacrificed journalism for the bottom line, and for a biased message.

They've also made the choice to push an LDS favorable content lineup, as they feel that's better financially, both in terms if revenue and the investment of the actual ownership.

You all realize most of the "reporters" for the Deseret News and KSL aren't actual journalists right?

They've laid off most of their news staff and instead let anyone submit articles to be published, paying them a nominal fee if it is published.

That's how West Valley City's mayor got in hot water. He submitted pro WVC "articles" under an assumed name but was later exposed.

The former is standard practice and has been going on for years across the country. The latter is laziness or lack of resources. Most publications will actually rewrite the press release, whether its for publication in print, digitally or both.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The former is standard practice and has been going on for years across the country. The latter is laziness or lack of resources. Most publications will actually rewrite the press release, whether its for publication in print, digitally or both.
    They don't. It's printed exactly as it appears on the U's website.

Knowing a couple of their now former employees personally it's unfortunate how they chose to handle things.

Tooblue is trolling us but he's doing that in an adorable manner. He's cute as a button, that one. Kccougar is just an otherwise good guy who's fallen under tooblue's corrupting influence.

--Yeats

Tooblue is trolling us but he's doing that in an adorable manner. He's cute as a button, that one. Kccougar is just an otherwise good guy who's fallen under tooblue's corrupting influence.
    I have to disagree with when you when it comes to old Kccougar and message boards. I am just going to go back to that old teaching that all of our mothers taught us back in the day, if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I have to disagree with when you when it comes to old Kccougar and message boards. I am just going to go back to that old teaching that all of our mothers taught us back in the day, if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.
    I am not saying anything bad about KC and never will. He's occasionally a miserable vomitous mass, but as you know that is a good thing in my book.

Seriously, I have recently acquired a great distaste for vilifying people on message boards as if they were not even present (when they actually are). Not sure how I picked that up.

--Yeats

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

tooblue, you're having far too much fun here. We are letting you troll us because you're like a teddy bear.

That said, you know that Utah's PAC -12 membership is the greatest thing ever to happen to its program ( in all sports), and that there's no way BYU's TV deal is as good as Utah's. You're too smart to believe otherwise. You're just having too much fun to admit it.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-23-2013 at 08:22 PM.

--Yeats

tooblue, you're having far too much fun here. We are letting you troll us because you're like a teddy bear.

That said, you know that Utah's PAC -12 membership is the greatest thing ever to show to its program ( in all sports), and that there's no way BYU's TV deal is as good as Utah's. You're to smart to believe otherwise. You're just having too much fun to admit it.
    First, I have never stated the BYU tv deal is better but it's hard to argue that it is not comparable considering the fact that I have watched every single BYU game over the past two years but have barely been able to watch more than three or four Utah games over that same time period. What's more, this idea of disparate trajectories is silly. As of right now, Utah isn't even the new Arizona. They are the new old Utah. BYU, despite the critics and supposedly against the odds has put together a great schedule this year and the next ... arguably better schedules than they have ever played.

I think it's great Utah is in the PAC 12. I have never expressed any bitterness or envy, only honest assessment of the reality of the situation. A year ago when I was in Utah at this time, to hear the fans and media talk you would've thought they were talking about Alabama, not Utah. But how quickly was everyone reminded that Utah is Utah. It could happen again this season. But before the season's over is it too much to ask to see one Utah game, other than the BYU game?

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    First, I have never stated the BYU tv deal is better but it's hard to argue that it is not comparable considering the fact that I have watched every single BYU game over the past two years but have barely been able to watch more than three or four Utah games over that same time period. What's more, this idea of disparate trajectories is silly. As of right now, Utah isn't even the new Arizona. They are the new old Utah. BYU, despite the critics and supposedly against the odds has put together a great schedule this year and the next ... arguably better schedules than they have ever played.

I think it's great Utah is in the PAC 12. I have never expressed any bitterness or envy, only honest assessment of the reality of the situation. A year ago when I was in Utah at this time, to hear the fans and media talk you would've thought they were talking about Alabama, not Utah. But how quickly was everyone reminded that Utah is Utah. It could happen again this season. But before the season's over is it too much to ask to see one Utah game, other than the BYU game?
    That you can't see all the Utah games has absolutely nothing to do with how much money the deal produces for Utah. The different trajectories are undeniable. The only debatable point is the extent of the separation between the two programs in terms of talent. I think it it become pretty wide and will stay there for a long time.

--Yeats

That you can't see all the Utah games has absolutely nothing to do with how much money the deal produces for Utah. The different trajectories are undeniable. The only debatable point is the extent of the separation between the two programs in terms of talent. I think it it become pretty wide and will stay there for a long time.
    There's a reason he hasn't addressed the actual ratings, he's too busy jousting windmills

There's a reason he hasn't addressed the actual ratings, he's too busy jousting windmills
    Y'all have brought up ratings not I. But of course, it means you are ignoring the fact that despite supposedly horrid ratings ESPN still puts the games on? Why is that? And speaking of ratings, what are Utah's ratings ... especially considering their games can't even reach the massive sports viewing audience on the largest satellite carrier in the US? You really think you have a winning argument here?

The talent level between the two teams is a push—there's no great gulf between the two teams. The very idea just feeds the delusions of grandeur. The difference in this years game was coaching and a QB who didn't make mistakes. But as the season has progressed, it's hard to deny that Hill could turn out to be the better of the two. And what's more, all that talent Utah has supposedly amassed has proven barely adequate at best. And it's going to stay that way for Utah for a long time.

The talent level between the two teams is a push—there's no great gulf between the two teams. The very idea just feeds the delusions of grandeur. The difference in this years game was coaching and a QB who didn't make mistakes. But as the season has progressed, it's hard to deny that Hill could turn out to be the better of the two. And what's more, all that talent Utah has supposedly amassed has proven barely adequate at best. And it's going to stay that way for Utah for a long time.
    Oh, brother.

--Yeats

LOL.

BYU fans are so cute.

SEC and Big XII are trying to feature more games on Thursday Nights.

http://newsok.com/big-12s-thursday-n...rticle/3875460

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...ursday-nights/

The NFL is considering featuring 2 games every Thursday Night

http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/1...hursday-nights

Nobody (south of Montana) is trying to grab/secure that valuable premium Friday Night spot for Football. But don't let the facts get in the way.

No one believes what your spinning, and neither do you.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 10-23-2013 at 09:01 PM.