Page 51 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Look at the masses, frothing at the mouth ... anxious, overwhelmed, excited and antsy. Desperate to demonstrate poise in the face of their pitiful, pious pandering to the deep seeded insecurities brought to a boil, just under the surface. What a glorious spectacle. Long live the rivalry, and the games to be played—you all should be saying joyfully. For without it, Utah is nothing more than the new Oregon State.
    A mass of 7 people at a message board.

Oh damn, I just posted in this thread.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

We started playing football waaaaaaay before 1970, so by definition, that makes us big brother.
    but then the honor code thing is pretty big brother, so you may have us there.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Well, little brother kicked the shit out of BYU on it's home floor this year. I know because I watched it on TV. Were you able to watch the game?
    Of course I was able to watch the game. BYU was playing. They have no trouble getting their games on national TV, available in all markets.
    Last edited by tooblue; 02-19-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Of course I was able to watch the game. BYU was playing. They have no trouble getting their games on national TV, available in all markets.
    ZING!!!!!
    keep 'em coming!
    you can't spell tooblue without tool.

and you can't spell Brian without brain, rain, air, ban, bran, nib, bin, bar, rib ...

and you can't spell Brian without brain, rain, air, ban, bran, nib, bin, bar, rib ...
    but you can spell it without sum

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    but you can spell it without sum
    I guess. Doesn't change the fact that the sum of all this is: Utah is—at best—the new Oregon State.

I guess. Doesn't change the fact that the sum of all this is: Utah is—at best—the new Oregon State.
    you can spell Oregon State without a ball-peen hammer (assuming you have a pencil and some paper).
    you can also build a moped from a reasonably suitable collection of atoms.

Utah won 70% of their football games vs BYU before Lavell.

Since Lavell has retired, Utah has won..........70% of their football games vs BYU.

This isn't a rivalry. Rivalries go back and forth. This is nothing more than an amazing coach showing up when Utah was down.

It's almost as pathetic as Utah State fan talking about Utah as a rival after they beat us once in 10+ years.

It's cute.

Since Ute fans seem to be struggling with this whole rival thing, and it's evident a made-up rival in Colorado isn't working, here's a neat app that might help you find a new match ...

Chinese zodiac matchmaking guide:

http://graphics.latimes.com/chinese-new-year/

Some interesting numbers:

Before Lavell showed up, the record was 41-8-4, with Utah winning 77% of the time.

After Lavell was coach, but before Mac showed up, The record was 2-16, with Utah winning 11% of the time.

Once Lavell coached vs Mac, the record was 5-6, with Utah winning 46% of the time.

Since Lavell has retired, the record is 13-4, with Utah winning, wait, what's this? 76% of the time?

Lol at BYU fan. You have your twenty year blip, that ended close to 20 years ago. Does BYU fan realize the last time BYU was significantly better than Utah, hardly any of their athletes were even ALIVE?

Man, that sucks for BYU fan. No wonder they have so much pent up anger. BYU fan has become Wyoming fan, who "thinks" they have a rival in BYU, when in reality, BYU doesn't compare themselves to Wyoming.

Utah has moved on. We didn't play BYU and had our best year ever in the PAC-12. Ranked, three top 10 athletic programs, football ranked.

We compare ourselves to USC, UCLA, Oregon, ASU, Arizona. Not BYU. Yeah, we don't have a hated filled rival in the PAC-12...yet.

But a lot of fans are having the same feelings towards ASU, Arizona and OSU that we once had vs BYU.

Once those feelings take root, BYU fan won't even have this thread anymore.

Again, that's just sad for BYU.

But, BYU will have a robust rivalry with Utah State, so good on ya.
    Last edited by Utah; 02-19-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hi, I'm internet troll Rob Lowe, and I have cable.

Ha. I can't get enough of that campaign. Crazy hairy Rob Lowe with a comb stuck in his back. Tooblue as internet troll Rob Lowe. Classic.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Some interesting numbers:

Before Lavell showed up, the record was 41-8-4, with Utah winning 77% of the time.

After Lavell was coach, but before Mac showed up, The record was 2-16, with Utah winning 11% of the time.

Once Lavell coached vs Mac, the record was 5-6, with Utah winning 46% of the time.

Since Lavell has retired, the record is 13-4, with Utah winning, wait, what's this? 76% of the time?

Lol at BYU fan. You have your twenty year blip, that ended close to 20 years ago. Does BYU fan realize the last time BYU was significantly better than Utah, hardly any of their athletes were even ALIVE?

Man, that sucks for BYU fan. No wonder they have so much pent up anger. BYU fan has become Wyoming fan, who "thinks" they have a rival in BYU, when in reality, BYU doesn't compare themselves to Wyoming.

Utah has moved on. We didn't play BYU and had our best year ever in the PAC-12. Ranked, three top 10 athletic programs, football ranked.

We compare ourselves to USC, UCLA, Oregon, ASU, Arizona. Not BYU. Yeah, we don't have a hated filled rival in the PAC-12...yet.

But a lot of fans are having the same feelings towards ASU, Arizona and OSU that we once had vs BYU.

Once those feelings take root, BYU fan won't even have this thread anymore.

Again, that's just sad for BYU.

But, BYU will have a robust rivalry with Utah State, so good on ya.
    So, I guess the irony of positing the above in a thread about BYU is lost on you ... lol .... Utah: the new Oregon State!

At least you were invited to help pay of the limo, I'll give you that. Good on ya for dreaming big. Utah: the new Oregon State!

I know this is meant as an insult, and I guess it is, but if I sit here and think about if I had only the choice of having a program like Oregon State today or BYU today that is a pretty big no-brainer. Even Oregon State is on a better trajectory than BYU.

As for me, I don't really care if we play BYU or not, with the caveat that I am always concerned that over-amped BYU players are going to play at 'the edge' of the rules as they've admitted they do, and hurt one of our guys.

One last thing: I know lots of Utah fans who say they don't want to play BYU anymore, I know of no BYU fans who feel the same way. If there is one thing that gets a BYU fan riled up more than saying that, I don't know what it is. The fact that it captures your attention and your best trolling abilities tells me that deep down in your fan's tender little hearts it hurts quite a bit to see the tail lights of the Utah bus leaving you behind.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 02-19-2015 at 12:49 PM.

At least you were invited to help pay of the limo, I'll give you that. Good on ya for dreaming big. Utah: the new Oregon State!
    Against my better judgment, please go ahead and post the last time Oregon State was ranked in both major sports. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

One of the best things about this thread is watching tooblue's angst. I vote to keep this thread

Look at the masses, frothing at the mouth ... anxious, overwhelmed, excited and antsy. Desperate to demonstrate poise in the face of their pitiful, pious pandering to the deep seeded insecurities brought to a boil, just under the surface. What a glorious spectacle. Long live the rivalry, and the games to be played—you all should be saying joyfully. For without it, Utah is nothing more than the new Oregon State.
    It's wonderful to watch an artist in action.

Fishing_Cartoon.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Since 2000 Oregon St. football is 3rd in PAC 12 wins behind Oregon and USC. I'm not sure I mind being called Oregon St.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Since 2000 Oregon St. football is 3rd in PAC 12 wins behind Oregon and USC. I'm not sure I mind being called Oregon St.
    Since 2000 Oregon State has 1x3-win season, 4x5-win seasons, 2x7-win seasons, 3x8-win seasons, 3x9-win seasons, 1x10-win season, and an 11-win season where a 3-point loss to the Huskies (#3 in the nation) was all that kept them out of the BCS title game (and they obliterated Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl).

Mitt Romney lost, the Mormon Moment is over, and byu fans are relegated to throwing blindside punches Kai Nacua-style after losing a shitty bowl game to a future conference mate (after The Brethren fire Tom Holmoe and accept their future as an AAC member).

Further, it seems the 10- and 11- win byu teams can beat up on the 3- and 5-win Oregon State teams, but they get crushed when The Beavers are any stronger than that.

Not sure this is the best comparison to use as a slam.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Since 2000 Oregon State has 1x3-win season, 4x5-win seasons, 2x7-win seasons, 3x8-win seasons, 3x9-win seasons, 1x10-win season, and an 11-win season where a 3-point loss to the Huskies (#3 in the nation) was all that kept them out of the BCS title game (and they obliterated Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl).
    I think the point is that, in spite of all the good things OSU has done, nobody knows or cares about that program or university. In that sense, tooblue is right -- every P5 program other than 20 or so bluebloods is essentially Oregon State. Arizona, WSU, Iowa, Iowa State, Duke, Mississippi, Vandy - they are all Oregon State.

Along the same lines, BYU is essentially San Diego State. In the G5, there's Boise State and then everyone else.

Mitt Romney lost, the Mormon Moment is over, and byu fans are relegated to throwing blindside punches Kai Nacua-style after losing a shitty bowl game to a future conference mate (after The Brethren fire Tom Holmoe and accept their future as an AAC member).
    Puget with the nuclear option post FTW.

LOL Mitt Romney smack? Man, I really struck a chord for you to dig that deep. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... Awesome Northwest, just awesome. You do know that Holmoe is on the basketball selection committee this year don't you?

You're still not making sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

He's just following the lead of his coaches

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

When the Utes end up with a six or seven seed and in the same region with Kentucky, you'll have no one else to blame but yourselves ... Especially NorthwestUteFan.

When the Utes end up with a six or seven seed and in the same region with Kentucky, you'll have no one else to blame but yourselves ... Especially NorthwestUteFan.
    We've switched to basketball and low seed smack now apparently... okay.

That reminds me of a few years back when BYU got an 8 seed and there was great weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth among the BYU faithful of this apparently great slight. General accusations of bigotry along with attempts to establish ancestry to Lilburn Boggs, or even worse Chris Hill, among the selection committee was rampant. It is hard to remember which year this actually was, as BYU has made it a tradition to get the 8 seed and lose in the first round. One thing is for sure, with the exception of Jimmermania (a time when even BYU fans couldn't see the irony of people selling something called a 'Jimmer Hat'), you can set your watch to BYU exiting earlier than expected in the tournament.

Your fearless homer, Dick Harmon, wrote an impassioned article about how BYU deserved to be so much higher of a seed. Then, of course, BYU proceeded to go out and lose. After which Harmon still wouldn't relent on the appropriateness of the seeding. I wrote him an email that simply said, "Dear Mr Harmon, your arguments would hold more water had BYU actually won their game." That was it.

In return I got an email from him laying out in great detail why his arguments were still valid. It was so long I'm certain it would have filled four pages printed. I'm also certain it was not a mass response unless he had set up a pretty sophisticated macro that included references to me by name and apparently some research he had done about me online.

It was then I realized that a favored tactic to win an argument among BYU fans has nothing to do with actual rational facts, rather they just bury you in sheer volume and by simply bulldogging it.

You've done a great job these past 24 hours, I tip my hat to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    We've switched to basketball and low seed smack now apparently... okay.

That reminds me of a few years back when BYU got an 8 seed and there was great weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth among the BYU faithful of this apparently great slight. General accusations of bigotry along with attempts to establish ancestry to Lilburn Boggs, or even worse Chris Hill, among the selection committee was rampant. It is hard to remember which year this actually was, as BYU has made it a tradition to get the 8 seed and lose in the first round. One thing is for sure, with the exception of Jimmermania (a time when even BYU fans couldn't see the irony of people selling something called a 'Jimmer Hat'), you can set your watch to BYU exiting earlier than expected in the tournament.

Your fearless homer, Dick Harmon, wrote an impassioned article about how BYU deserved to be so much higher of a seed. Then, of course, BYU proceeded to go out and lose. After which Harmon still wouldn't relent on the appropriateness of the seeding. I wrote him an email that simply said, "Dear Mr Harmon, your arguments would hold more water had BYU actually won their game." That was it.

In return I got an email from him laying out in great detail why his arguments were still valid. It was so long I'm certain it would have filled four pages printed. I'm also certain it was not a mass response unless he had set up a pretty sophisticated macro that included references to me by name and apparently some research he had done about me online.

It was then I realized that a favored tactic to win an argument among BYU fans has nothing to do with actual rational facts, rather they just bury you in sheer volume and by simply bulldogging it.

You've done a great job these past 24 hours, I tip my hat to you.
    Like I said, it started with NorthWestUteFan. He went with Mitt Romney smack. I'm just following that to it's natural conclusion. Besides, somebody's gotta play Kentucky. And we will know it's their year when Utah ends up in their region.

Like I said, it started with NorthWestUteFan. He went with Mitt Romney smack. I'm just following that to it's natural conclusion. Besides, somebody's gotta play Kentucky. And we will know it's their year when Utah ends up in their region.
    I didn't start it, I merely counterpunched in a failing effort to help you break through the compartmentalization obscuring and defeating your rational and cognitive abilities in this area.