Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Caption this photo:
    Who is that dude?

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Who is that dude?
    Best guess at his name- Taysom Mariotta
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Best guess at his name- Taysom Mariotta
    That is probably what he will name his first born son.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Man greg wrubel's voice is like fingernails on a chalk board to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Why did you post that? I thought it was going to be some kind of joke until I realized that it isn't. Didn't we have a no Taysom highlights rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Man greg wrubel's voice is like fingernails on a chalk board to me.
    "After suffering a season-ending leg injury last season, Taysom Hill returns to BYU Football for his senior season and a final shot at the Heisman trophy."

A final shot? Has he had a shot before?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    "After suffering a season-ending leg injury last season, Taysom Hill returns to BYU Football for his senior season and a final shot at the Heisman trophy."

Sure. I have a shot at winning the Boston Marathon too.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Put it to some music and let's start the campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I wouldn't say this year is my final shot at a Nobel, but I am running out of time.

Not sure why I hate myself so much today, but this two minute listen gave me a smile. Missed it by that much.

https://youtu.be/C1tNNBGvJRQ?t=3m42s

Taysom's shot at a Heisman reminds me of a joke I heard a comic tell:

"Studies show that a number of women may be interested in me. That number is zero."

It's not so much the facts that are important, it's how you report the facts that counts.

He's easily a finalist if he doesn't get injured last year. Mind you, he had zero shot of winning it. But he would've had the numbers and already had the highlight-reel performance.

Tom Brady and I have 4 Superbowl rings between us.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Since I plan to live forever, I have the same shot at the Heisman as an infinite number of monkeys at at infinite number of word processors have of writing Hamlet.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He's easily a finalist if he doesn't get injured last year. Mind you, he had zero shot of winning it. But he would've had the numbers and already had the highlight-reel performance.
    Snicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Snicker.
    Whatever. Every Heisman pundit listed Hill before his injury, and everyone putting together such a preseason list will have him on it this year.

Whatever. Every Heisman pundit listed Hill before his injury, and everyone putting together such a preseason list will have him on it this year.
    I agree. Also, I would trade both Wilson and Thompson straight up for Hill. Sorry if that bothers someone here.

I agree. Also, I would trade both Wilson and Thompson straight up for Hill. Sorry if that bothers someone here.
    I would make that trade too. But since we don't have him, I have no problem with mocking him. Due to recent experience, however, I will stop short of hoping he tears his ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I would make that trade too
    You one smart guy!

This made me curious, but not curious enough to do the research. How many seasons over the past 20 years would Utah fans trade starting QBs with BYU? I'm guessing it's not an uncommon situation for us to be in.

This made me curious, but not curious enough to do the research. How many seasons over the past 20 years would Utah fans trade starting QBs with BYU? I'm guessing it's not an uncommon situation for us to be in.
    An excellent point. College football programs each have a culture. BYU's is a QB/offense culture; ours is a defense culture.

You are of course right. I just like to poke fun at the hype that comes out of BYU Athletics. To me it seems like a special kind of hype, a little more breathless and starry-eyed than any other I know of. It's hard to describe.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

You are of course right. I just like to poke fun at the hype that comes out of BYU Athletics. To me it seems like a special kind of hype, a little more breathless and starry-eyed than any other I know of. It's hard to describe.
    There is a certain percentage of BYU students (not sure how large or small) who insist on making every piece of college life, including the athletics, a religious experience.

This is the very reason that I posted the second clip with Blaine Fowler. Despite the cycle they seem to go through every year, they just can't help themselves from over reaching. In that clip not only are they posturing about having an undefeated '14 season, but they even double down and carry their undefeatedness through September '15 and a top 4 ranking! What could possibly go wrong?!

The problem is, the style of play Taysom needs to put up this numbers is also likely to keep him from staying healthy for a full season. If they change the offense to limit his exposure, he doesn't have the skillset to put up a Heisman worthy performance.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The problem is, the style of play Taysom needs to put up this numbers is also likely to keep him from staying healthy for a full season. If they change the offense to limit his exposure, he doesn't have the skillset to put up a Heisman worthy performance.
    I don't know. Plenty of running QBs have managed to stay healthy over the course of a season. It just takes a little luck.

There is a certain percentage of BYU students (not sure how large or small) who insist on making every piece of college life, including the athletics, a religious experience.
    That's probably it. A little extra spiritual pixie dust sprinkled on every hope and aspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

An excellent point. College football programs each have a culture. BYU's is a QB/offense culture; ours is a defense culture.

Getting Taysom to NYC would be a reasonable and reachable goal. But BYU and its fans wouldn't be what they are if you injected them with a vial full of reasonable.

Off the top of my head ...

1995: Keep Fouts (Sarkisian)
    1996: Trade Fouts (Sarkisian)
    1997-2000: This is a really choppy era. Outside of Arceneaux, none of our QBs are worth keeping. Trouble is, none of BYU's are worth trading for.
    2001: Trade Rice (Doman)
    2002: Keep Elliott (BYU's worst QB year ever)
    2003: Keep Alex (see above)
    2004: Keep Alex
    2005: Keep Brian (John Beck)
    2006: Trade Ratliff (John Beck)
    2007: Keep (healthy) Brian (Max Hall)
    2008: Keep Brian (Hall)
    2009: Keep Cain/Wynn (Hall)
    2010: Keep Wynn (Nelson/Heaps)
    2011: Keep Wynn (Heaps)
    2012: Jon Hays vs. Riley Nelson. Really?
    2013: Keep Wilson (Hill)
    2014-present: Trade Wilson (Hill)

On pure skill set and ignoring personality (is that against the rules?), I don't agree with 2009.