Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Why not? It felt like a win to him.
    Monson wrote another column that was critical of BYU, no doubt pointing out the obvious.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Brady Poppinga is not pleased.
    Someone needs to administer Gordon another orthodoxy test.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Someone needs to administer Gordon another orthodoxy test.
    O-M-Flippin-G that was one of the most uncomfortable moments in the history of live radio. Has Fox Sports given him his walking papers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacana Ute View Post
    The fact that you even bothered to read a Gordon Monson article is amusing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Is it just because I'm a Utah fan and paid attention to what BYU did for so many years or are there more college football teams out there with a history of players who write as many checks that their mouths can't cash?
    For some strange reason, I was just now wondering what it must be like to be Monson. It is a depressing thought: His miserable professional existence seems to focus on writing or saying things he knows are idiotic, just so he can get a rise out of his audience and attract attention to his efforts, such as they are. (Shudder.)

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'll just leave this here as it somehow seems appropriate:

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Brandon Ogletree was a bit of a dork on the football field, but his blog is excellent. This is the kind of stuff you find at smartfootball.com, and quite frankly, his football knowledge should (will?) be put to better use in the college game. We're sorely lacking this kind of detailed insight from any of our ex-players currently.

http://ogletreefootball.com/

Brandon Ogletree was a bit of a dork on the football field, but his blog is excellent. This is the kind of stuff you find at smartfootball.com, and quite frankly, his football knowledge should (will?) be put to better use in the college game. We're sorely lacking this kind of detailed insight from any of our ex-players currently.

I was impressed too. He writes well.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar

All his stupid antics aside, I actually think Kyle Gunther does a good job when he talks Xs and Os. His problem is that his format is a 3 hour radio program and not a blog. As such, he gets off in the tall grass quite often...talking about UFOs and cats.

When he settles down and talks football, he's better than anyone on Utah radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    All his stupid antics aside, I actually think Kyle Gunther does a good job when he talks Xs and Os. His problem is that his format is a 3 hour radio program and not a blog. As such, he gets off in the tall grass quite often...talking about UFOs and cats.

When he settles down and talks football, he's better than anyone on Utah radio.
    It would help his radio show if he started a blog. I wonder if he has ever thought of that?

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It would help his radio show if he started a blog. I wonder if he has ever thought of that?
    Epiphany: We do have a former player who writes detailed and insightful Xs and Os stuff on Utah football. The catch is, it's Hans Olsen. And he doesn't do it nearly enough.

Epiphany: We do have a former player who writes detailed and insightful Xs and Os stuff on Utah football. The catch is, it's Hans Olsen. And he doesn't do it nearly enough.
    I was just thinking about him myself. It would be great if he would write three or four paragraphs a few times a week

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

It’s been a crazy past several days but I’m here to take my lumps. I’m exhausted and happy to be back at work. This past weekend, I managed to take 14 Venture Scouts only three of which—my offspring had ever been to a football game. And what a first game experience it was. Thunder, lightning, torrential rain and the type of first game of the season let down I have come to expect from BYU under coach Mendenhal. The boys, especially my own sons, did enjoy it. Below are my thoughts on the game:

1. A week ago if you told me the Virginia QB would outplay Taysom Hill I would have rolled my eyes and just figured you were stoned out of your gourd like a Ute frosh sigma chi wannabe at Reggae Fest. Mostly, all I was hoping for was average play from the sophomore. What a nightmare.
    2. The Cougars offensive line is bad. Seriously bad. I bet Utahby5 could field a better front with Mormon Red Death at Center, Senioritis and Utah Dan at the guard positions, adding any and all takers at the tackle positions. Something is seriously wrong with the universe when BYU can’t field a decent offensive line.
    3. I told y’all BYU never gets beat by an opponent and that they only beat themselves. Of course, that’s a pretty accurate statement with regards to this particular game. How pathetic. This team is going to struggle to bend gum to its will.
    4. A couple of years ago I thought the worst decision of the Bronco era was chasing off Dr. Robert Anae. His second worst decision might well be having brought him back.
    5. This game only proved to confirm what we all knew. BYU travels well. There were more than just a lot of BYU fans at the game. Enough to out chant the UV crowd at certain points, especially after the lightning delay. It was an impressive sight. Comparatively speaking, in recent years, I have been to both the Utah at Michigan and Notre Dame games. Utah does not travel well. It’s no contest.
    6. University of Virginia fans remind me a lot of Utah fans: not particularly knowledgeable, even indifferent and mostly there for the cultural aspects of the game. It felt a lot like being at Rice Eccles on a Saturday. They were pleasant though. And none of us got beer thrown on us so that’s a plus.
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-05-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    It’s been a crazy past several days but I’m here to take my lumps. I’m exhausted and happy to be back at work. This past weekend, I managed to take 14 Venture Scouts only three of which—my offspring had ever been to a football game. And what a first game experience it was. Thunder, lightning, torrential rain and the type of first game of the season let down I have come to expect from BYU under coach Mendenhal. The boys, especially my own sons, did enjoy it. Below are my thoughts on the game:

1. A week ago if you told me the Virginia QB would outplay Taysom Hill I would have rolled my eyes and just figured you were stoned out of your gourd like a Ute frosh sigma chi wannabe at Reggae Fest. Mostly, all I was hoping for was average play from the sophomore. What a nightmare.
    2. The Cougars offensive line is bad. Seriously bad. I bet Utahby5 could field a better front with Mormon Red Death at Center, Senioritis and Utah Dan at the guard positions, adding any and all takers at the tackle positions. Something is seriously wrong with the universe when BYU can’t field a decent offensive line.
    3. I told y’all BYU never gets beat by an opponent and that they only beat themselves. Of course, that’s a pretty accurate statement with regards to this particular game. How pathetic. This team is going to struggle to bend gum to its will.
    4. A couple of years ago I thought the worst decision of the Bronco era was chasing off Dr. Robert Anae. His second worst decision might well be having brought him back.
    5. This game only proved to confirm what we all knew. BYU travels well. There were more than just a lot of BYU fans at the game. Enough to out chant the UV crowd at certain points, especially after the lightning delay. It was an impressive sight. Comparatively speaking, in recent years, I have been to both the Utah at Michigan and Notre Dame games. Utah does not travel well. It’s no contest.
    6. University of Virginia fans remind me a lot of Utah fans: not particularly knowledgeable, even indifferent and mostly there for the cultural aspects of the game. It felt a lot like being at Rice Eccles on a Saturday. They were pleasant though. And none of us got beer thrown on us so that’s a plus.
    LOL. Great post! Toolblue is this board's #1 troll and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    But he does it in a nice way. The scoundrel.

--Yeats

Yeah. He got me again. I read it, got all fired up, then realized that I need to pay attention to who is posting. I usually have no clue who the poster is, I just respond to what they wrote.

Call me crazy, but I actually think BYU will play pretty well against Texas this weekend. I only saw the first quarter and then last 5 minutes of the VA game and BYU looked like Tooele High. But BYU at home seem to always find a way to play big against big schools. They are a very emotional team (understatement, I know) and I could see their adrenalin carrying them through much of this game. IF, however, Texas plays through that and is able to punch BYU in the throat a few times in the first half, the BYU crowd and players alike will no longer be a factor.
    A Utah Man am I

Quote Originally Posted by codered View Post
    Call me crazy, but I actually think BYU will play pretty well against Texas this weekend. I only saw the first quarter and then last 5 minutes of the VA game and BYU looked like Tooele High. But BYU at home seem to always find a way to play big against big schools. They are a very emotional team (understatement, I know) and I could see their adrenalin carrying them through much of this game. IF, however, Texas plays through that and is able to punch BYU in the throat a few times in the first half, the BYU crowd and players alike will no longer be a factor.
    Maybe. I just think BYU will have no answer for UT's speed and athleticism. A lot depends on whether the BYU players have been living right on and off the field. Magic may happen.

--Yeats

Texas -7.5 appears to be stealing candy from a baby. Which of course has me on full alert that BYU comes ready to play. Vegas is wrong, but they're not THAT wrong that often.

Maybe. I just think BYU will have no answer for UT's speed and athleticism. A lot depends on whether the BYU players have been living right on and off the field. Magic may happen.
    Magic may happen, but given Texas's athletes, if Texas jumps out early I could see a repeat of the FSU game from 2009.

Magic indeed. Having said all that, I still wouldn't bet money on BYU. But wouldn't be totally shocked to see them do well against Texas.

A Utah Man am I

But he does it in a nice way. The scoundrel.
    I may be many things, but a scoundrel? Yah, yah I know I'm supposedly trolling but look, I met you at the Notre Dame game. We both saw how many Ute fans were there. Sincerely, the BYU presence at the Virginia game was impressive by comparison. I know there were some Ute fans there, likely Utah Dan and others. If they want to speak up and contradict my observations they are more than welcome to join this thread. What's more, I spent a good deal of my childhood watching football at Rice Eccles Stadium. I know the fan base well. My parents and siblings are season ticket holders. They are knowledgable, diehard fans of the Utes and college football. But really, the rest of the fan base is plagued by a good many bandwagoners who are only there for the "cultural" aspects. I sat in front of or behind such fans many times over the years.

Sometimes the truth hurts but that doesn't mean it should not be shared. By the way, can I watch the Utes this Saturday on TV? I guess I will have to wait until they play someone more significant so that I can tune in to a channel that does not require some form of streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    He overreaches by throwing Sigma Chi under the dope bus.

But other than that it is brilliant.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 09-05-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    He overreaches by throwing Sigma Chi under the dope bus.

But other than that it is brilliant.
    Exactly. No one at the Sigmachi house ever smoked weed
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I may be many things, but a scoundrel? Yah, yah I know I'm supposedly trolling but look, I met you at the Notre Dame game. We both saw how many Ute fans were there. Sincerely, the BYU presence at the Virginia game was impressive by comparison. I know there were some Ute fans there, likely Utah Dan and others. If they want to speak up and contradict my observations they are more than welcome to join this thread. What's more, I spent a good deal of my childhood watching football at Rice Eccles Stadium. I know the fan base well. My parents and siblings are season ticket holders. They are knowledgable, diehard fans of the Utes and college football. But really, the rest of the fan base is plagued by a good many bandwagoners who are only there for the "cultural" aspects. I sat in front of or behind such fans many times over the years.

Sometimes the truth hurts but that doesn't mean it should not be shared. By the way, can I watch the Utes this Saturday on TV? I guess I will have to wait until they play someone more significant so that I can tune in to a channel that does not require some form of streaming.
    Fishing_Cartoon.jpg

--Yeats

I might be alone in this thinking but a part of me wouldn't mind seeing BYU take Texas down. A loss for Texas is always a good thing, but more importantly I'm leery of a desperate BYU team still looking for its first win and coming off a bye week. If BYU goes 0-2 then the Utah game is their whole season. With a bye week to prepare it will absolutely be a "kitchen sink" game for BYU. Even if BYU beats Texas they will still have a lot of motivation for the Utah game based on recent rivalry history, but I don't think they'd have the same edge.

I wouldn't mind seeing them beat Texas and start thinking they are back on their way to the BCS (it doesn't take much to convince them of this, see their response to the UVa game). Sadly, their offense looks inept and I think Texas' speed will expose their secondary, so....

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I might be alone in this thinking but a part of me wouldn't mind seeing BYU take Texas down. A loss for Texas is always a good thing, but more importantly I'm leery of a desperate BYU team still looking for its first win and coming off a bye week. If BYU goes 0-2 then the Utah game is their whole season. With a bye week to prepare it will absolutely be a "kitchen sink" game for BYU. Even if BYU beats Texas they will still have a lot of motivation for the Utah game based on recent rivalry history, but I don't think they'd have the same edge.

I wouldn't mind seeing them beat Texas and start thinking they are back on their way to the BCS (it doesn't take much to convince them of this, see their response to the UVa game). Sadly, their offense looks inept and I think Texas' speed will expose their secondary, so....
    I see what you are saying, but if they lose to Texas and badly, they'll have zero confidence going into the Utah game. Their sphincters will tighter than a BYU coeds grip on an ice cream cone.

If they win, they have a large amount of confidence. "We beat Texas...is Utah really that big of a challenge at home?"

If BYU gets desperate and lacks confidence, comedy will ensue.

Really, I'm not going to feel bad one way or another.

I just don't see it. This looks like a Florida State type beatdown for BYU. I can't recall the last time BYU defeated a team with any sort of pulse (other than a WAC or MWC foe) and it's nearly impossible to pull off an upset with spotty offensive line play.

I think there's a real possibility that this is a 2-3 win season for BYU
    Last edited by Scorcho; 09-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.

I have to side with PU on this one. I won't be upset if they do get the win, but I would rather have them tight and nervous coming into the Utah game. Let their pride work against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I see what you are saying, but if they lose to Texas and badly, they'll have zero confidence going into the Utah game. Their sphincters will tighter than a BYU coeds grip on an ice cream cone.

If they win, they have a large amount of confidence. "We beat Texas...is Utah really that big of a challenge at home?"

If BYU gets desperate and lacks confidence, comedy will ensue.

Really, I'm not going to feel bad one way or another.
    A Utah Man am I

I don't care if they win or lose, but I always enjoy it when they lose. I love it when the Utes beat them. I also enjoy being only vaguely aware of who their players are and how they are doing. I can name 3 players on this year's BYU team: Taysom Hill, Cody Hoffman and Kyle Van Noy. Wait, Falslev too, for reasons that wouldn't make the young man happy.

--Yeats

I don't care if they win or lose, but I always enjoy it when they lose. I love it when the Utes beat them. I also enjoy being only vaguely aware of who their players are and how they are doing. I can name 3 players on this year's BYU team: Taysom Hill, Cody Hoffman and Kyle Van Noy. Wait, Falslev too, for reasons that wouldn't make the young man happy.
    I can name those 4 plus Williams the RB....that is all for me. Is Lark still the backup QB? I do hope very much that they lose. I'm disappointed in fans who say they don't care. Wanting BYU to lose is a part of being a Utah fan -- vice versa for BYU fans.

There is no logic in the idea that BYU beating Texas would make them an easier opponent for us in two weeks.