Page 62 of 114 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    My favorite part of the Beach Brawl is that Anae is laughing the whole time.
    I did not notice this. That is pretty cool.

You know, i think that the Beach Brawl was pretty benign. Not at all a big deal. Stuff happens. Now the part that I'd be most embarrassed about (if I was a coug) is the fact that BYU lost that brawl pretty handily. Like, they lost the brawl WAY worse than they lost the game.

If Anae's generation had brawled, they would not not have embarrassed themselves like that.

This got Tweeted out by one of BYU's coaches yesterday.

Seems like Tujague needs to take a wildlife identification class. But if you're going to intentionally compare yourself to an African lion, it's probably better (although less appropriate in this scenario) to go with the male version.

Rise and Shout! The Lionesses are out!

BYU fans are now angry that Boise State coach Bryan Harsin thinks the Broncos would be a good fit for the Big-12.

This is like watching the tension and jealousy building among standby passengers for a flight, as the gate area gets empty because everyone else is on the plane.

just saw a story that ESPN is losing subscribers and is in major cost cutting mode, including dismissing Olbermann, and scrapping a plan to move Mike & Mike to NYC. Said Mike Tirico, Colin Cowherd and others could be in for it when their contracts come up for renewal.

Remember how ESPN played hardball with the MWC in renewal negotiations that basically forced the MWC to start the Mountain?

If I were the Y I might be worried about what ESPN will do when their contract comes up for renewal. ESPN has all the leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    just saw a story that ESPN is losing subscribers and is in major cost cutting mode, including dismissing Olbermann, and scrapping a plan to move Mike & Mike to NYC. Said Mike Tirico, Colin Cowherd and others could be in for it when their contracts come up for renewal.

Remember how ESPN played hardball with the MWC in renewal negotiations that basically forced the MWC to start the Mountain?

If I were the Y I might be worried about what ESPN will do when their contract comes up for renewal. ESPN has all the leverage.
    Nah, ESPN needs them. ESPN is in BYU's back pocket. That truck, they have that HD Truck.
    Last edited by Hot Lunch; 07-10-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Saw a story last week indicating Disney has ordered $100,000,000 in cost cuts next year and $250,000,000 in 2017.

ESPN costs cable and satellite providers $6 or more. Compared to $1.50 for TNT, TBS etc.

Disney is also concerned that ESPN is cutting the advertising their other networks get so they can add more outside advertising (ESPN slashed the number of Disney owned company commercials by 75% in the NBA finals)

Going to be interesting to watch, as the "big" sports get more expensive it would seem things like individual school contracts will go the way of the dinosaur. Also makes you wonder how the SEC network may be affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.wsj.com/articles/espn-tig...nts-1436485852

Very very interesting read.

My first question is why Beadle, Schefter, and Tirico instead of Brainless, Smith, and Broussard?

Right now live sports are the only reason I hang on to cable, like many others.

I know lots and LOTS of people who've abandoned cable and phone service, going with internet only, with Hulu, Netflix, etc. This is just the first wave. As soon as somebody solves the live sports broadcast issue in a good way, cable revenues are going to plummet.

There was an article about how the music industry went from about $12 Billion a year to about $7 Billion a year, as customers download individual songs now instead of whole albums, the iTunes phenomenon (after the Napster earthquake). Artists have gone from using concerts to promote records, to now using recordings to promote concerts, but over all, the money in music is way, waaay down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

I know lots and LOTS of people who've abandoned cable and phone service, going with internet only, with Hulu, Netflix, etc. This is just the first wave. As soon as somebody solves the live sports broadcast issue in a good way, cable revenues are going to plummet.

There was an article about how the music industry went from about $12 Billion a year to about $7 Billion a year, as customers download individual songs now instead of whole albums, the iTunes phenomenon (after the Napster earthquake). Artists have gone from using concerts to promote records, to now using recordings to promote concerts, but over all, the money in music is way, waaay down.
    As an aside it's kind of funny. Lars Ulrich (and Metallica) still take heat for their part in getting rid of Napster because artists received nothing.

Last month Taylor Swift was praised as a hero for blasting apple for proposing no compensation to artists for their 3 month Apple music trial. My how times have changed haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have Dish and are increasingly asking ourselves why. We only watch certain channels, never use the pay-per-view movies, don't have HBO, Showtime, etc., and as with you, sports are the main reason we hang on. The DVR is nice too, for things we want to see post-broadcast. We are using Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Times are changing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We have Dish and are increasingly asking ourselves why. We only watch certain channels, never use the pay-per-view movies, don't have HBO, Showtime, etc., and as with you, sports are the main reason we hang on. The DVR is nice too, for things we want to see post-broadcast. We are using Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Times are changing.
    We hold onto Dish only for the Pac-12 network. If one of these networks had the guts to offer online-only subscriptions (as opposed to the current requirement that I have hardware at my house before I can watch online), I would sign up in a heartbeat. Most people I meet under 30 years of age are waiting for the same thing.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    We hold onto Dish only for the Pac-12 network. If one of these networks had the guts to offer online-only subscriptions (as opposed to the current requirement that I have hardware at my house before I can watch online), I would sign up in a heartbeat. Most people I meet under 30 years of age are waiting for the same thing.
    Fascinating time. I'd bet the content producers - conferences, teams, production crews - are carefully sifting through the numbers to decide when it makes sense to simply offer games via online, for a fee. My hunch is the big boys are still making lots of money getting people to buy bundles where its impossible to watch everything provided.

What is the per customer revenue of a PAC game through whatever network vs just charging $10 for the game? Many customers aren't engaged enough to evaluate these purchasing decisions, but at younger, less affluent customers join the market, that will chance.

I'm sure it's wrapped up in contracts, but when does the PAC-12 stop playing the DirectTV chicanery and just offer online, their own servers, etc? Maybe price it in a way that doesn't submarine the distribution partners.

I'm having a hard time thinking this current situation will last 5 years. Some producer will bust out, prove it's economically viable, and then all hell breaks loose for the big boys and the distribution partners.

I've seen hulu, Netflix, and prime, and there's very little that's worth watching. It's still hard for me to believe that this is tv's golden age.

I can't imagine a system where I can get all the different sports I want online through a dozen different subscriptions for less money than I pay comcast now. I watch soccer, football, basketball, and baseball.

Take just college football alone. On a Saturday, I may flip between espn, abc, nbc, Fox, pac12, big10, cbs, cbssports, espn2. Am I really going to get all of those individually for less than the $50 a month I give comcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I've seen hulu, Netflix, and prime, and there's very little that's worth watching. It's still hard for me to believe that this is tv's golden age.

I can't imagine a system where I can get all the different sports I want online through a dozen different subscriptions for less money than I pay comcast now. I watch soccer, football, basketball, and baseball.

Take just college football alone. On a Saturday, I may flip between espn, abc, nbc, Fox, pac12, big10, cbs, cbssports, espn2. Am I really going to get all of those individually for less than the $50 a month I give comcast?
    You're exactly right, but as soon as somebody solves the live sports puzzle for online-only, it will be a dam burst. Everything else is going that way. Fast.

2-5 years, is my hunch.

You're exactly right, but as soon as somebody solves the live sports puzzle for online-only, it will be a dam burst. Everything else is going that way. Fast.

2-5 years, is my hunch.
    Which I suspect will burst the bubble on college TV contracts. Might be a lot less money when subscribers aren't forced to buy a package.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Check out sling TV, $20 and you get ESPN etc. we cut the cord about 3 years ago now. At the time it wasn't intended to be long term, I was just tired of Comcast monkey business so we shut it down and got a Netflix subscription.

I haven't looked back at all. I don't watch a lot of TV, neither does my wife but the real beauty is with kids. You start a show whenever you want, no commercials and then when the show is done they go and do something different, 23 minutes of TV time and they are done. Regular TV you have the commercials and then another show comes on and they just keep sitting there.

Maake is right, fix the live sports thing (which is done, it just needs to be unhitched from regular TV subscriptions) and it is over.

The funniest thing is for my youngest. She has no concept of a world where TV shows aren't in demand. We were traveling and in a hotel and she says that she wants to watch Mickey's Clubhouse. I say to her, "It is not on right now." That was as foreign of a concept to her as anything. She thought I was just being mean and not letting her watch her show.

Also being commercial free now, when I watch regular TV I really notice how intense, loud and fast-paced commercials are. I feel like when those Russians defected and struggled to buy cereal in the grocery store because it was info overload.

The Slingtv + ESPN package for $20+$5 is intriguing. It is particularly effective if you aren't tied to Comcast for internet service.

But as stated above they need to work out a situation that still funds the leagues. I don't think I would like a direct PPV situation, because while I would directly pay for all of the Utah games I do not want to pay to watch 10 minutes of another game of interest. I want to watch the game-winning drive at the end of some random team like Georgia, without buying the game directly.

If we could get a package with CBS, ABC, ESPN, Fox1, NFL, PAC-12, B1G, SEC, etc, for an affordable price (absolutely needs to be under $30/mo total) and enough people buy it, then it can easily work but right now ESPN has huge market penetration for $6/subscriber/mo. Would they make it work for $20/mo with significantly fewer subscribers? Who knows.

NBC sports will be unlikely to go directly to streaming because they are owned by Comcast and that seems to not be in their best interest. But Comcast also owns NHL Network and MLB TV and both if those offer online streaming packages, so who really knows how it will shake out.

The bottom line for me right now is I can't see enough of a savings going to a streaming-only TV service. But that day is likely to come at some point. Maybe if Google Fiber can break the lock and give cheap streaming speed internet to the masses then we will finally see a revolution in sports content options.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 07-11-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Check out sling TV, $20 and you get ESPN etc. we cut the cord about 3 years ago now. At the time it wasn't intended to be long term, I was just tired of Comcast monkey business so we shut it down and got a Netflix subscription.

I haven't looked back at all. I don't watch a lot of TV, neither does my wife but the real beauty is with kids. You start a show whenever you want, no commercials and then when the show is done they go and do something different, 23 minutes of TV time and they are done. Regular TV you have the commercials and then another show comes on and they just keep sitting there.

Maake is right, fix the live sports thing (which is done, it just needs to be unhitched from regular TV subscriptions) and it is over.

The funniest thing is for my youngest. She has no concept of a world where TV shows aren't in demand. We were traveling and in a hotel and she says that she wants to watch Mickey's Clubhouse. I say to her, "It is not on right now." That was as foreign of a concept to her as anything. She thought I was just being mean and not letting her watch her show.

Also being commercial free now, when I watch regular TV I really notice how intense, loud and fast-paced commercials are. I feel like when those Russians defected and struggled to buy cereal in the grocery store because it was info overload.
    Ha. My 3-year-old is the same way. The first time she saw a commercial, she thought the TV was broken.
    i would do sling TV, but I need the Pac network. NEED, not want.

I read somewhere a theory that the reason Super Bowl 47 (Baltimore vs San Francisco) took a dip in ratings (the only Super Bowl in years to see a ratings dip from the previous year) wasn't due to decreased interest, but due to the fact that hometown fans in the Bay Area are techies and don't have traditional televisions. They watched it via mobile devices, and the ratings couldn't capture that number.

i used to live in PA, and Arlen Specter was my senator. He was working hard to dissolve the bundling practices of cable providers when he lost his position because he wasn't tea-party enough (he switched back to being a democrat, but it didn't work). He died in 2012, and I wish that issue would come up again.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I for the life of me cannot understand the resistance to streaming by the networks. This is the opportunity for them to expand their revenue stream like they never have before.

Streaming through the Internet would allow you to serve up contextual ads, just like the web. Then small and regional businesses can suddenly afford to advertise on TV directly to people interested in the product. That is access to a whole new and massive market (think google ads).

It also would allow for contextual ads during programming (think of ad bugs etc).

Now when I watch ESPN streaming they won't even show me the live TV ads, instead it will just tell me it is in commercial break. So stupid.

I for the life of me cannot understand the resistance to streaming by the networks. This is the opportunity for them to expand their revenue stream like they never have before.
    I'm not so sure. I think they recognize it as the end of an even bigger revenue stream. They know a lot about making money, and there's a reason they're sticking with the plan.

I'm not terribly innovative, but I don't see how it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not so sure. I think they recognize it as the end of an even bigger revenue stream. They know a lot about making money, and there's a reason they're sticking with the plan.

I'm not terribly innovative, but I don't see how it can work.
    Signed every newspaper in the world, the music industry, photography industry, book stores, taxi cab drivers, telephone industry, blockbuster video...

I do a lot of work in the real estate industry and they are doubling down on making access to info as difficult and proprietary as possible. It is hard to innovate when you are set in your ways and the entire industry is sitting there with blinders on about the realities of what will face them in the next decade. GenX and younger has zero patience for gatekeepers and having to wait on an individual for data that should be readily accessible.

TV industry is no different. They don't want to change because there current system works for them, but I'm already raising children who have no patience for that way of doing business. The reality is shifting if not already completely shifted whether they want to address it or not.

Signed every newspaper in the world, the music industry, photography industry, book stores, taxi cab drivers, telephone industry, blockbuster video...

I do a lot of work in the real estate industry and they are doubling down on making access to info as difficult and proprietary as possible. It is hard to innovate when you are set in your ways and the entire industry is sitting there with blinders on about the realities of what will face them in the next decade. GenX and younger has zero patience for gatekeepers and having to wait on an individual for data that should be readily accessible.

TV industry is no different. They don't want to change because there current system works for them, but I'm already raising children who have no patience for that way of doing business. The reality is shifting if not already completely shifted whether they want to address it or not.
    I think we are agreeing. TV will hold on for as long as possible because they won't make as much under an internet model.

That said, I still have no idea how it will all work for me to get all the games I currently get for less money.

I'm with you on real estate. Why would I want to pay an agent in today's world?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Yeah. I remember Utah State did a lot of that when they were independent, as well.

Opening the season at Nebraska? Big deal. We did that over 20 years ago.

Uhh. Did I miss something or are these guys making their annual climb to the cliff?

It is just now getting weird? Where has that guy been for the last five years?

I couldnt finish.

I think one of the big problems that leads to these annual delusions of grandeur is the fact that darn near every single person who "covers" BYU is a die-hard BYU fan, Jeff Call included. All of them are just puppets on Tom Holmoe's strings. The one guy who isn't is somewhat of a pot-stirrer (Jay Drew).

That home schedule blows. And its been horrible ever since they went independent. And yet, people buy into Tommy's claims that its going to be awesome!

Its a great day/week/month/year/time to be a Ute........

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I couldnt finish.

I think one of the big problems that leads to these annual delusions of grandeur is the fact that darn near every single person who "covers" BYU is a die-hard BYU fan, Jeff Call included. All of them are just puppets on Tom Holmoe's strings. The one guy who isn't is somewhat of a pot-stirrer (Jay Drew).

That home schedule blows. And its been horrible ever since they went independent. And yet, people buy into Tommy's claims that its going to be awesome!

Its a great day/week/month/year/time to be a Ute........
    Pretty much spot on. BYU's 2013 home schedule was actually pretty damn good ... Texas, Utah, Boise State and Georgia Tech. If you woke me up and told me Utah was out of the Pac-12, but you put those four teams on the upcoming year's home slate, it would soften the blow somewhat.

The 2016 schedule has UCLA and Mississippi State, the 2019 schedule has Wisconsin, USC, Washington and Boise State. So by that metric, it appears BYU is having decent home schedules about once every three years. I think where BYU really misses the mark is the filler in their schedules -- instead of former rivals like Wyoming and New Mexico, they're playing UMass and FCS schools in November. I think we should play BYU every year, but I don't think we should be willing to help boost their late-season home slate. Screw them in that regard.