Page 63 of 114 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Pretty much spot on. BYU's 2013 home schedule was actually pretty damn good ... Texas, Utah, Boise State and Georgia Tech. If you woke me up and told me Utah was out of the Pac-12, but you put those four teams on the upcoming year's home slate, it would soften the blow somewhat.

The 2016 schedule has UCLA and Mississippi State, the 2019 schedule has Wisconsin, USC, Washington and Boise State. So by that metric, it appears BYU is having decent home schedules about once every three years. I think where BYU really misses the mark is the filler in their schedules -- instead of former rivals like Wyoming and New Mexico, they're playing UMass and FCS schools in November. I think we should play BYU every year, but I don't think we should be willing to help boost their late-season home slate. Screw them in that regard.
    This also kills them with the computers. Independent BYU hasn't been anywhere near good enough to have the computers matter, but if they do get to that point you get killed by having games against FCS and horrible FBS teams. The key is to get a win or two against top-25 teams and then have a schedule against a bunch of teams in the 40-60 range that you can reasonably expect to beat if you're a top-20 caliber team, but that won't kill you with the computers.

I am sure that for the BYU English department that float is a source of great frustraton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am sure that for the BYU English department that float is a source of great frustraton.

I 👀 what you did there.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

There's no "I" 'n team or spellng at BYU.

Interesting pair of Final Jeopardy questions for regular Jeopardy and Sports Jeopardy this week.

Thursday night, on Jeopardy. The topic: Colleges and Universities

The mission of this western university founded in 1875 is "to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life."

Last week on Sports Jeopardy (airs weekly on the Crackle website). The topic: The Pac-12

The 2 schools that are the only Pac-12 schools in their states.

BYU may have gotten more "exposure" by being on Jeopardy, but we were featured on the sports show. Which, as we all know, triumphs over all.

I am moving this link to this thread because it belongs here. Listen at about 16:00. The interview is with Bill Plaschke of the L.A. times. You won't be sorry.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150...aschke-WEB.mp3

Hat tip to Vegas Ute for posting this on another board where I saw it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

The 2 schools that are the only Pac-12 schools in their states.
    At least until we add Boise, UNLV, Hawaii, and New Mexico!

The interview is with Bill Plaschke of the L.A. times. You won't be sorry.
    Really nice to hear his view from the 50,000 foot level, essentially confirming what we've been thinking and hoping for, for a long time.

His remarks about the USC game last year were really notable. Hearing about the impact of our game winning drive, from the LA perspective, really drove home how we've climbed into respectability in the PAC.

His comments about BYU were also interesting, because at this stage of his career, Plaschke has no need to spin anything any particular way - he's at the pinnacle of his profession, even giving Gordon a ribbing after Monson said he was the best sports journalist in America.

I think some of us have a little better insight into BYU's situation than Plaschke does, but he nicely conveyed the common national vibe that they're adrift and essentially at the mercy of a dysfunctional Big-12, their desperation getting stronger and more visible, it seems, on a weekly basis.

I half expect to see an article in the Deseret News about how three 8th grade girls in Missouri think it would be "really neat" if BYU was invited to the Big-12. "Besides, we like cats, too, and their players try hard and set a good example, but everyone has a hard time behaving when they go to Miami". Rich terrain for satire, for sure.

Even the BYU fans are starting to wish the D-News would move on to other topics. One poster said the BYU / Big-12 issue is starting to have a "stalker vibe", and suggested the Big-12 should get a restraining order against BYU. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Even the BYU fans are starting to wish the D-News would move on to other topics. One poster said the BYU / Big-12 issue is starting to have a "stalker vibe", and suggested the Big-12 should get a restraining order against BYU. Hilarious.

--Yeats

There was a debate on CB yesterday and out whether or not Utah had surpassed BYU in terms of stature and perception outside the state of Utah. Many of the responses insisted that BYU was discussed far more nationally than Utah. I didn't believe them until I took to Twitter, where it was confirmed. They do come up a lot.

I am moving this link to this thread because it belongs here. Listen at about 16:00. The interview is with Bill Plaschke of the L.A. times. You won't be sorry.

Just a little tid bit for y'all. Since the NBA draft, on local sports radio, guess how many times I have personally heard an on-air personality etc. confused as to whether or not Delon Wright played at BYU ... after all, he comes out of Utah!

But hey, who am I to argue with a bombastic west coast reporter. Utah is the new Alabama! lol

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Just a little tid bit for y'all. Since the NBA draft, on local sports radio, guess how many times I have personally heard an on-air personality etc. confused as to whether or not Delon Wright played at BYU ... after all, he comes out of Utah!

But hey, who am I to argue with a bombastic west coast reporter. Utah is the new Alabama! lol
    i need to hear this, can you provide a link or two

as soon as they realize Wright is black, they'll realize he didn't got to the Y

Last edited by Scorcho; 07-24-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Lol. .. what you are leaving out is that you are in Toronto. They only talk hockey and curling there.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

It won't take long to put that confusion to rest.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Lol. .. what you are leaving out is that you are in Toronto. They only talk hockey and curling there.
    Just to be clear, this is what Toronto has produced in recent years:

Anthony Bennett
    Tyler Ennis
    Andrew Wiggins
    Cory Joseph
    Andrew Nicholson
    Dwight Powell
    Nik Stauskas

And don't kid a kidder ... you know exactly how outnumbered you are as a fan and in terms of awareness both in Michigan and North Carolina. LOL Utah, the new Alabama!

I'm all for bashing on byu, but Plaschke is terrible. He is a bad writer and an idiot. I wouldn't use him to support a position even if he was right. There is a reason he was probably fjm.com favorite target.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I'm all for bashing on byu, but Plaschke is terrible. He is a bad writer and an idiot. I wouldn't use him to support a position even if he was right. There is a reason he was probably fjm.com favorite target.

Well, he has been the AP Sportswriter of the Year 5 times.

--Yeats

I didn't listen to the interview, but from context, he doesn't say that Utah is the new anything. I think he's saying BYU is the new Akron or maybe SJSU.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

Most sports writers are terrible. That they're right at all is usually the exception, not the rule.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I didn't listen to the interview, but from context, he doesn't say that Utah is the new anything. I think he's saying BYU is the new Akron or maybe SJSU.
    He says Utah is a great addition to the PAC-12. That makes him a man of great insight and judgment, IMO.

--Yeats

Just to be clear, this is what Toronto has produced in recent years:

Anthony Bennett
    Tyler Ennis
    Andrew Wiggins
    Cory Joseph
    Andrew Nicholson
    Dwight Powell
    Nik Stauskas

And don't kid a kidder ... you know exactly how outnumbered you are as a fan and in terms of awareness both in Michigan and North Carolina. LOL Utah, the new Alabama!
    Utah local radio has podcasts and audio vaults of their content. It allows the listener to catch up or revisit a segment of the show.

Since Delon Wright has been incorrectly identified as player from the Lords University, could you give us a link so we could listen for ourselves. You hinted that it must have happened at least a dozen times.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Utah local radio has podcasts and audio vaults of their content. It allows the listener to catch up or revisit a segment of the show.

Since Delon Wright has been incorrectly identified as player from the Lords University, could you give us a link so we could listen for ourselves. You hinted that it must have happened at least a dozen times.

Thanks in advance

Here are the Toronto audio/articles if skimmed through so far .... nothing yet(they all reference the University of Utah), but I'll keep digging.

590 the fan
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-delon-wright/

Toronto 1050
    http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050...fence-1.331478

Tip of the tower
    http://tipofthetower.com/2015/07/04/...ronto-raptors/

the Star
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...on-wright.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

Thanks in advance
    You can look up FAN 590 or TSN 1050 ... And interestingly, today I reffed mens league games. We got talking about the team Canada win over the US in the Pan Am games and Kentucky bound Jamal Murray's big night. We then got talking about Corey Joseph signing with the Raptors (I officiated a couple of his highschool games back when). I explained that I don't think he'll get much playing time ... If he couldn't compete with Patty Mills for playing time, he certainly isn't going to be able to compete with Wright. The response from one of the guys: "no way, those BYU guys out of Utah are stiffs."

I didn't have the energy to correct him. Lol Utah, the new Alabama!
    Last edited by tooblue; 07-25-2015 at 03:42 PM.

You can look up FAN 590 or TSN 1050 ... And interestingly, today I reffed mens league games. We got talking about the team Canada win over the US in the Pan Am games and Kentucky bound Jamal Murray's big night. We then got talking about Corey Joseph signing with the Raptors (I officiated a couple of his highschool games back when). I explained that I don't think he'll get much playing time ... If he couldn't compete with Patty Mills for playing time, he certainly isn't going to be able to compete with Wright. The response from one of the guys: "no way, those BYU guys out of Utah are stiffs."

I didn't have the energy to correct him. Lol Utah, the new Alabama!
    TB, why do you troll like this? It's a Utah board.

--Yeats

TB, why do you troll like this? It's a Utah board.
    I did have that conversation today. It was funny. One of the guys teammates did correct him ... One day I'll tell y'all about the guy who supposedly "played for Fisher at SDSU." He couldn't tell me a thing about any of his former conference (MWC) rivals or their arenas ... But This is a BYU thread LA!?

I did have that conversation today. It was funny. One of the guys teammates did correct him ... One day I'll tell y'all about the guy who supposedly "played for Fisher at SDSU." He couldn't tell me a thing about any of his former conference (MWC) rivals or their arenas ... But This is a BYU thread LA!?
    Whatever. It's really no surprise that people think of LDS-related subjects when the State of Utah comes up, is it? The U. of U. doesn't have international folk dancers, is not owned and operated by a worldwide church with an apocalyptic worldwide mission to make every human being aware of its existence and mission, and a public relations operation to match that goal, etc., etc. So when people think of anything from Utah they think of the LDS church -- they also think of scary polygamists, the Osmonds, weird people, an arch-conservative legislature, the latest eccentric-seeming story from BYU, Steve Young, and so forth. So yes, many uninformed observers think of BYU when the subject of college athletes from Utah comes up. I guess you get a huge kick out of that. Many BYU fans do. Meanwhile we'll continue to enjoy our favorite university's success and progress.

--Yeats

They are just relieved to learn that Delon isn't from the same school as their last draft flop from the state of Utah. I understand their concern.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Whatever. It's really no surprise that people think of LDS-related subjects when the State of Utah comes up, is it? The U. of U. doesn't have international folk dancers, is not owned and operated by a worldwide church with an apocalyptic worldwide mission to make every human being aware of its existence and mission, and a public relations operation to match that goal, etc., etc. So when people think of anything from Utah they think of the LDS church -- they also think of scary polygamists, the Osmonds, weird people, an arch-conservative legislature, the latest eccentric-seeming story from BYU, Steve Young, and so forth. So yes, many uninformed observers think of BYU when the subject of college athletes from Utah comes up. I guess you get a huge kick out of that. Many BYU fans do. Meanwhile we'll continue to enjoy our favorite university's success and progress.
    These guys know nothing about LDS related subjects, let alone anything about BYU folk dancers. They do know sports. BYU is the national brand, which represents the state of Utah. What I find perplexing is the delusions of grandeur I now encounter among family and acquaintances. I often tune in to Utah sports radio, especially in the later summer build up to football season. They and Y'all speak as if Utah is the new Alabama. It's strange and not healthy IMO. I'm not trolling. I am simply pointing out the harsh reality of it all. But I'll leave the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    They are just relieved to learn that Delon isn't from the same school as their last draft flop from the state of Utah. I understand their concern.
    Without question. You have to remember, some genius in the Raptors front office wasted a top ten pick on Rafael Araujo.