Page 7 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I can name those 4 plus Williams the RB....that is all for me. Is Lark still the backup QB? I do hope very much that they lose. I'm disappointed in fans who say they don't care. Wanting BYU to lose is a part of being a Utah fan -- vice versa for BYU fans.

There is no logic in the idea that BYU beating Texas would make them an easier opponent for us in two weeks.
    Look at all the cuteness going on in this thread. LA et tous pretending to know very little about Utah's rival not named Colorado when in fact you know a great deal more than you likely should admit. Honestly, I’d love to know more about the Utes. Wish I could watch a game, not streamed (in HD!!!) but on TV. At best I can tell you that your QB used to play the big brother part in that Disney show. I think it was called icarly or something‽ His name was … oh forget it. I could look it up but I think I will just refer to him as the icarly Ute QB dude. And don’t you have a safety that spent too much time reliving long days and nights spent at Reggae fest? Is he a Sigma Chi? Is he playing this year?

In all seriousness you should hope BYU beats Texas this Saturday. It could only help your strength of schedule arguments. Go Cougars!
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-06-2013 at 07:54 AM.

HAHA. Toolblue owning this thread. LA and Sancho walking right into his trap, talking about how little they follow BYU, despite being prominent posters in the BYU thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    HAHA. Toolblue owning this thread. LA and Sancho walking right into his trap, talking about how little they follow BYU, despite being prominent posters in the BYU thread.
    Hey, whose side are you on? This is a fun thread, and tooblue is adding to it in his own trollish way. (BTW, do you see Sancho or me responding to the poor fellow?) To me part of the fun of the rivalry is never reading Dick Harmon and never joining any threads that are actually about BYU teams. For example, I watched have Jimmer play twice, for partial games in the NCAA tournament his senior year. I am proud of my BYU sports ignorance. Don't steal that from me!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Sometimes the truth hurts but that doesn't mean it should not be shared. By the way, can I watch the Utes this Saturday on TV? I guess I will have to wait until they play someone more significant so that I can tune in to a channel that does not require some form of streaming.
    Ute fans will gladly let BYU Fan trump the significance of having its own channel to broadcast games against FCS schools. Having 54-10 available on BYUTV.com in exchange for missing out on games like Weber State live is an exchange we're more than happy to live with. And in two weeks, I look forward to hearing Dave McCann and Gary Shiede trudge through another embarrassing BYU loss to Utah. Ute fans worldwide are happy for the service BYUTV.com provides.

I do hate BYU, and I probably always will. But I moved away from SLC 12 years ago, and now the only time I read anything about them is the odd occasion that they are in national news. I don't get the channels they usually play on, so I don't see their games. When they are on a channel I have, I usually avoid the game because I get mad when they win. I pretty much just see them once a year now against Utah. As you pointed out, I'm more than happy to rag on them online.

There was a time when I knew more about BYU's teams than their coaches did. It's been a while though.

I am still trying to adjust to the culture of this board. I've never been on a board where trolls are congratulated and patted on the back for their efforts. Give me some time to figure it out. I was not a Clayton Cougar or an East High Leopard, so I am a stranger in a strange land.

I do hate BYU, and I probably always will. But I moved away from SLC 12 years ago, and now the only time I read anything about them is the odd occasion that they are in national news. I don't get the channels they usually play on, so I don't see their games. When they are on a channel I have, I usually avoid the game because I get mad when they win. I pretty much just see them once a year now against Utah. As you pointed out, I'm more than happy to rag on them online.

There was a time when I knew more about BYU's teams than their coaches did. It's been a while though.

I am still trying to adjust to the culture of this board. I've never been on a board where trolls are congratulated and patted on the back for their efforts. Give me some time to figure it out. I was not a Clayton Cougar or an East High Leopard, so I am a stranger in a strange land.
    Hang in, Sancho. You're the kind of poster we want around here. I actually have met tooblue and his family and have interacted with him often on non-sports topics. Yes, he is trolling but has no malice in him. I think of him as the eccentric uncle who lives in our attic and comes down for dinner now and then. As for all the Clayton and East guys here (not to mention Highland) that's just a weird coincidence that has me shaking my own head.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-06-2013 at 11:24 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Hang in, Sancho. You're the kind of poster we want around here. I actually have met tooblue and his family and have interacted with him often on mon-sports topics. Yes, he is trolling but has no malice in him. I think of him as the eccentric uncle who lives in our attic and comes down for dinner now and then. As for all the Clayton and East guys here (not to mention Highland) that's just a weird coincidence that has me shaking my own head.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus
    LA is correct. I love and loath both fan bases equally. It's about time for me to head back up to the attic but I couldn't resist participating in this thread. I genuinely would've liked to see a couple of Utah games this season before they play BYU. Last week I was en route to Virginia and had to rely on Mormon Red Death to keep me updated with texts. This week there's little chance I will even be able to see a stream of the game online. Despite SoCalPat's bravado (that ride in the limo must've been real special) it's sad that I have to wait until they play the Cougars to see them on TV via a major cable or satellite channel, legitimately and nationally distributed. In time I guess.
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-06-2013 at 12:57 PM.

I'm just playing with you both. I love to hate BYU just as much as the rest, but Utah fans can be funny - isn't the BYU thread one of the longest ones on this board?

Toolblue is great. I love having BYU fans around (that's why I liked CUF so much). My favorite argument of his is that Utah fans don't know football and are just bandwagoners. That one kills me, coming from a BYU fan. Just really good stuff in there.

I'm just playing with you both. I love to hate BYU just as much as the rest, but Utah fans can be funny - isn't the BYU thread one of the longest ones on this board?

Toolblue is great. I love having BYU fans around (that's why I liked CUF so much). My favorite argument of his is that Utah fans don't know football and are just bandwagoners. That one kills me, coming from a BYU fan. Just really good stuff in there.
    This may indeed be one of the longest threads. Part of that is due to Senioritis' great title for it. I think this is great. "Hating" a rival makes college athletics fun. This is, of course, a passion we must bridle. (Inside joke noted?) Senioritis' thread gives us a chance to blow off steam.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This may indeed be one of the longest threads. Part of that is due to Senioritis' great title for it. I think this is great. "Hating" a rival makes college athletics fun. This is, of course, a passion we must bridle. (Inside joke noted?) Senioritis' thread gives us a chance to blow off steam.
    Sure. I'm fine with it. But it's hard to argue BYU ignorance while being the main contributor to the BYU thread. Utah fans want to have it both ways: we don't care about BYU and we follow them with a passionate hatred.

Sure. I'm fine with it. But it's hard to argue BYU ignorance while being the main contributor to the BYU thread. Utah fans want to have it both ways: we don't care about BYU and we follow them with a passionate hatred.
    Oh, I care. No doubt about that. And I hate. But I don't know the players.

The Utah football and basketball threads are longer than this one. There are also some go nowhere political debates that are long.

LOL. That's what this thread is about. We'll (I'll) never be indifferent to them, so why not be honest about that? But I really don't follow them because to do so requires me to take in the nauseating drivel that the Wrubells and Harmons of the world come up with. The only BYU games I ever watch in full are the ones they play against Utah. I guess you could say I passionately ignore them.

--Yeats

LA is correct. I love and loath both fan bases equally. It's about time for me to head back up to the attic but I couldn't resist participating in this thread. I genuinely would've liked to see a couple of Utah games this season before they play BYU. Last week I was en route to Virginia and had to rely on Mormon Red Death to keep me updated with texts. This week there's little chance I will even be able to see a stream of the game online. Despite SoCalPat's bravado (that ride in the limo must've been real special) it's sad that I have to wait until they play the Cougars to see them on TV via a major cable or satellite channel, legitimately and nationally distributed. In time I guess.
    Not to turn the thread toward a topic you're unfamiliar with, ie, the facts, but how does FS1 fall outside your definition of a major cable or satellite channel? At least you can find it among other sports channels, and not sandwiched by Pat Robertson's slop and reruns of The Jim Bakker Show.

Ute fans who maintain they don't pay attention to BYU are like 17-year-old boys who insist they don't jerk off. You can believe that if you really want to, but deep down, you know the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Not to turn the thread toward a topic you're unfamiliar with, ie, the facts, but how does FS1 fall outside your definition of a major cable or satellite channel? At least you can find it among other sports channels, and not sandwiched by Pat Robertson's slop and reruns of The Jim Bakker Show.
    I have Direct TV. My package includes ESPN and ESPN2 but not FS1 without a tier package upgrade. And with my basic package I saw every BYU game but only one Utah game last season.
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-06-2013 at 01:37 PM.

I have Direct TV. My package includes ESPN and ESPN2 but not FS1 without a tier package upgrade. And with my basic package I saw every BYU game but only one Utah game last season.
    No wonder you have a skewed perspective. You haven't seen much top tier football...

That sounds like your problem. The USU, BYU, USC, UCLA and Colorado games were all on channels that didn't require a tier upgrade, and Oregon State was on ESPNU, which I'm not sure if it requires a tier upgrade or not.

Nice try half of utahs game last year were on fox (the free over the air station) also is you have a package that has espn2 our espn u you have fox sports 1

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    No wonder you have a skewed perspective. You haven't seen much top tier football...

:-)

Of course BYU did go to a bowl last season. And it should also be noted I did listen to a couple Utah games on the radio over Internet last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Nice try half of utahs game last year were on fox (the free over the air station) also is you have a package that has espn2 our espn u you have fox sports 1

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh, I tried to watch Utah last season. But that's the point. Why do I have to upgrade to see the vaunted PAC 12? Shouldn't their teams play on the basic cable or satellite channels? You really think I should pay a premium to watch the Utes?

Oh, I tried to watch Utah last season. But that's the point. Why do I have to upgrade to see the vaunted PAC 12? Shouldn't their teams play on the basic cable or satellite channels? You really think I should pay a premium to watch the Utes?
    Our opinion on that matter is somewhat biased, so you might want to check with someone else. Just as sort of a reality check.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

Guys, guys, this is a snipe hunt. You are arguing about cable subscriptions with a guy who believes that BYU fans are knowledgeable about the game of football; if you've ever been to Lavell's House, you know that the flirting to game-watching ratio is off the charts.

Toolblue is a national treasure, but I think our time is better spent compiling a list of famous Weber State alumni.

I really don't care if TB gets to watch Utah games.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Guys, guys, this is a snipe hunt. You are arguing about cable subscriptions with a guy who believes that BYU fans are knowledgeable about the game of football; if you've ever been to Lavell's House, you know that the flirting to game-watching ratio is off the charts.

Toolblue is a national treasure, but I think our time is better spent compiling a list of famous Weber State alumni.
    Hey now. I made no such claims about the BYU fan base. They have their own unique qualities and cultural proclivities that have little to with what's going on on the field. Regardless, I guess BYU is a second class team playing on first tier networks. Interesting no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I really don't care if TB gets to watch Utah games.

That's just hurtful you two.

you just can't make this stuff up ...

Dayan Lake ‏@still_flexin6 12h The picture I got in the mail that coach Mendenhall drew for me. Its how I'm gonna look in the BYU…
    http://instagram.com/p/d6OESKQkIX/#

bb062lz.jpg

If tooblue can't find Utah games, that shows his level of intelligence...

He is your basic cougar fan, that thinks BYU still wins the majority of the rivalry games, BYU has a national fanbase, and every top flight QB wants to be at their school.

Just smile at them when they talk, shake their hands and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    If tooblue can't find Utah games, that shows his level of intelligence...

He is your basic cougar fan, that thinks BYU still wins the majority of the rivalry games, BYU has a national fanbase, and every top flight QB wants to be at their school.

Just smile at them when they talk, shake their hands and walk away.
    I'm gonna need a bigger boat.

Good luck to the Cougs and the Utes this weekend. The Cougs moreso ... they're gonna need it.

Apparently Bronco wants him to be a scrawny punk. I personally would want my football players to have a little muscle on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    A Utah Man am I