Page 89 of 114 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

This shows commitment on many levels.

Byu being awful on offense is great. It has been a lot of fun seeing byu fans come up with every reason it isn't Detmers fault. I've already seen at least one fan already starting with Detmer wants Mangum, but Sitake won't let him.

They are going to turn on Sitake soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Byu being awful on offense is great. It has been a lot of fun seeing byu fans come up with every reason it isn't Detmers fault. I've already seen at least one fan already starting with Detmer wants Mangum, but Sitake won't let him.

They are going to turn on Sitake soon.

Seeing Ty fail is a major victory for me. Not because I hate Ty, but because so many "smart" fans knee-jerk conclude that great former player can only be a great current coach. I would never hire a former great in any capacity until he had proven himself elsewhere. Tom Holmoe should be fired for insisting Sitake hire such an unproven slug as Detmer for such an important position.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Seeing Ty fail is a major victory for me. Not because I hate Ty, but because so many "smart" fans knee-jerk conclude that great former player can only be a great current coach. I would never hire a former great in any capacity until he had proven himself elsewhere. Tom Holmoe should be fired for insisting Sitake hire such an unproven slug as Detmer for such an important position.
    It is pretty amazing. To put a guy in that position who's never coached against D1 speed or defensive schemes in game situations seems crazy. It was an irresponsible PR move, IMO.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I find that great players rarely translate to great coaches. I ones that do translate are generally the ones that won in preparation and execution over raw talent. Guys who won on athleticism and competitiveness get frustrated when their players can't do the things they were used to easily doing.

I think Detmer is in the "preparation and execution" camp and could be a really good coach one day, but he hasn't really worked enough at this level to learn all the tricks yet. He is kind of like Brian Johnson in that regard. It'll be interesting to see how long BYU fans give him. We didn't give BJ a whole lot of time (rightly so).

I just feel like saying, after watching the game last week and catching a few highlight from the UCLA game last night, that BYU belongs in Royal blue. It is long past time for the Cougs to stop wearing Navy blue.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm all for Ty failing, but I think we're celebrating a bit early.
    He might good in the future, but byu fans seriously thought he would be a top OC from the first game.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It is pretty amazing. To put a guy in that position who's never coached against D1 speed or defensive schemes in game situations seems crazy. It was an irresponsible PR move, IMO.
    Aguably, Sitake made only three legitimate hires in Lamb, Kaufusi and Clark. The rest are rise and shout rah-rah-rah hires.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I've said this for a couple of years now and I've been laughed at and called dumb for saying this (kind of like how I said Utah would be really good the last two years and Utah would struggle this year), but I'll say it again:

Holmoe was the worst thing for BYU (or the best, if you are a Ute fan). Look at what he has done:

He took a top 25 football and basketball program and put them in Independence. Since then, BYU hasn't finished ranked in the AP or CFP polls. Their recruiting has dropped. Their basketball program went from one that would win the MWC to never having finished above third in the WCC.

They ran their best coach ever out of town and hired a bunch of unproven nobodies.

What is one thing that guy has done that has worked out for BYU? lol.

Well, we've all seen this movie before. BYU starts with tough teams (I'm guessing UCLA makes plenty of OC's look bad this year), but November brings FCS teams and lots of scoring. When Provo stomps on Akron and then finishes by averaging 40 ppg against UMass, SUU, and USU, it will be all optimism for Ty's offense.
    Yes but this movie has a P5 schedule this year and they don't realize how much that is going to wear on them as the year goes on. They are going to drop some games they should win. Sitake will be the fall guy in a few years and Saint Detmer will be the coach. It will be awesome.

--fjm.com

You guys are cute.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread.php?p=1281376

Byu coaches playing Hill because they are worried that if Mangum plays too well he will go to the NFL after this season.

--fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    You guys are cute.
    Rush sucks.

--fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Rush sucks.

Adorable!

USU will definitely beat BYU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are cute.
    Good to see you, Viking. We wear our cuteness with pride!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    USU will definitely beat BYU.

I've always cheered for USU when they don't play Utah. I'm noticing that although I still enjoy the schadenfreude when BYU loses, that's as far as it goes. I don't really care much any more unless the game has some impact on the Utes. It's interesting how not being in the same conference makes a big difference.

--Yeats

Well, we've all seen this movie before. BYU starts with tough teams (I'm guessing UCLA makes plenty of OC's look bad this year), but November brings FCS teams and lots of scoring. When Provo stomps on Akron and then finishes by averaging 40 ppg against UMass, SUU, and USU, it will be all optimism for Ty's offense.
    That's when we will start hearing the "if we played you guys now" talk ignoring the fact that Williams and our offense will have improved as well against much higher caliber teams. Explaining that concept will be quickly dismissed by their blind optimism.

You guys are cute.
    :blush:

Their "best coach ever" is now 0-3 at UVa.....
    Seriously, Bronco was good for their program. He won 70 percent of his games and averaged 9 wins over an 11 year period. That's as good as it will get in Provo. The likelihood that Kalani does that well is slim IMO.

Games they should win: Toledo, SUU, UMass, and USU.....
    .....OTOH, Kalani HAS won one more game at this point in the season that I thought he would. I didn't think they'd ink their first win until Toledo (50/50) or possibly SUU. The coaching staff he put together isn't capable of much in its first couple of years. Almost devoid of experience. He did a really poor job in that regard.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Three Pennsylvania recruits honored to get offers from Birmingham Young University.

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/9...dates-football

Their "best coach ever" is now 0-3 at UVa.

I agree that independence was a bad move. Once you ram the Titanic into an iceberg, it probably doesn't matter who's captaining the ship. Bronco was nobly bailing water for a while. When he saw a southern lifeboat pass by, he handed that bucket to Kalani and said good luck.
    If we are talking about college football today, with the playoffs, etc, I'd take Bronco over LaVell if I were BYU.

If Bronco would have won three more games, he'd have a better winning percentage. LaVell never faced a dominant Utah or TCU team. Bronco did most years. LaVell never faced the OOC schedule that Bronco did. LaVell had money to spend and was in the WAC in a time where BYU outspent everybody else in the WAC and was able to bring in a bevy of amazingly talented coaches to help coach this "gimick" offense. Bronco never had that luxury.

LaVell coached at a time where he had a better shot at every LDS kid. Bronco had to recruit against Kyle, Anderson (at Stanford), USC, Washington, etc who all went after the LDS kids and had LDS coaches on staff.

Oh, and the honor code when LaVell was coach? lol. Get real. There was no honor code. Go talk to any player who played under LaVell...LDS or not. Here is one example:

Everyone always talks about how much BYU struggled to play at Hawaii. Turns out, that curfew in the Hawaii game was very early. VERY early. Like 8pm. And then the coaches disappeared. I was told this was because LaVell knew that for most of his players, they would never get another shot to be in Hawaii. So, he set the curfew early, then disappeared so they could go and enjoy a once in a lifetime experience.

Bronco would NEVER get away with that.

Now, it appears his schtick isn't working at Virginia. But, it's early and we will see. That doesn't diminish what he did at BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    If we are talking about college football today, with the playoffs, etc, I'd take Bronco over LaVell if I were BYU.

If Bronco would have won three more games, he'd have a better winning percentage. LaVell never faced a dominant Utah or TCU team. Bronco did most years. LaVell never faced the OOC schedule that Bronco did. LaVell had money to spend and was in the WAC in a time where BYU outspent everybody else in the WAC and was able to bring in a bevy of amazingly talented coaches to help coach this "gimick" offense. Bronco never had that luxury.

LaVell coached at a time where he had a better shot at every LDS kid. Bronco had to recruit against Kyle, Anderson (at Stanford), USC, Washington, etc who all went after the LDS kids and had LDS coaches on staff.

Oh, and the honor code when LaVell was coach? lol. Get real. There was no honor code. Go talk to any player who played under LaVell...LDS or not. Here is one example:

Everyone always talks about how much BYU struggled to play at Hawaii. Turns out, that curfew in the Hawaii game was very early. VERY early. Like 8pm. And then the coaches disappeared. I was told this was because LaVell knew that for most of his players, they would never get another shot to be in Hawaii. So, he set the curfew early, then disappeared so they could go and enjoy a once in a lifetime experience.

Bronco would NEVER get away with that.

Now, it appears his schtick isn't working at Virginia. But, it's early and we will see. That doesn't diminish what he did at BYU.
    There are no words...

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    There are no words...
    Figured as much.

You tossed out a comment on how Bronco is doing at Virginia, which has nothing to do with my comment. Then I showed some of Bronco's successes and challenges at BYU...

And another comment that has no substance.

So, do you not agree that what Bronco did vs a much tougher schedule is impressive?

How did LaVell do against a good Utah team? I'll help on this one: Since Mac took over, LaVell was 7-5. He was 16-2 before McBride was coach.
    Who was LaVell's TCU?
    What "gimmicky" offense did Bronco run?
    How did LaVell handle the honor code violations? Harvey Unga was kicked out of school (one example). So was Jim McMahon...after the season ended.

Wish to post anything of any substance? Or are you still out of words?

\\

Lavell had no competition in the WAC. That's true. But Bronco didn't beat the competition in the MWC. BYU usually lost to TCU and Utah during that era.

List the 5 greatest wins in BYU history. How many of them came under Bronco?
    Which is part of my point.

Bronco had to play a better Utah and TCU. Yeah, he lost a bunch to them. BUT, at the end of the day, if he had three more wins, he'd have a better win percentage than LaVell.

While Utah and TCU were in the MWC, I think he was 5-7 vs those two teams. That's not amazing, but it isn't bad either.
    Last edited by Utah; 09-20-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Bronco regularly came up short in the really big games. He came up short in getting them to a BCS game. Levell usually came up short, too, but he managed to bring BYU most of its best moments.
    And that is the difference. If Washington agrees to play BYU...LaVell suddenly isn't so great. If Bronco puts together one undefeated season...then suddenly LaVell isn't so great.

Fate can be cruel to people. Bronco never had a season as easy as 1984. And even if he did, he would never get the recognition that LaVell got for going undefeated. Bronco never had a shot at national title. No matter how many games he would have won.

Because of the way college football was set up in 1984, LaVell caught a HUGE break. Heck, even Michigan was on their third string QB in the bowl game. LaVell had so many built in advantages playing in the era he played in...

Which is another reason why BYU's delusions of grandeur are just that. The good old days will never come back for them. They will never have a "gimmicky" offense that is part of a revolution in football. They will never be able to outspend their competition the way they could in the WAC and bring in coaches like Andy Reid, Holmgren, Bilichick, Chow, Leach, etc.

Bronco had so little money to work with for his assistants, he had to hire a DC that was a high school coach so he could afford to bring back an OC that he had already fired.

And the honor code? LaVell had no honor code. LaVell was the honor code, and he used Jesus' axium, "go and sin no more" more often than any of us realize.

Yeah, Bronco had his problems (and Virginia seems to be highlighting those problems), but what he did at BYU, with the resources he had...that was quite remarkable and I'd still put him as their best coach ever because of the restrictions he had that LaVell never had.

Bronco has a big task ahead of him right now. UVA has a long history of mediocrity and it may take a few years to right the ship.

I am confident they will be better under Bronco than they been in this decade. But it will be painful for a few years.

And I can't see them for the ACC any time soon. I think getting to a bowl game is a good goal right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post

.....OTOH, Kalani HAS won one more game at this point in the season that I thought he would. I didn't think they'd ink their first win until Toledo (50/50) or possibly SUU. The coaching staff he put together isn't capable of much in its first couple of years. Almost devoid of experience. He did a really poor job in that regard.
    I don't think Kalani should take the heat for the coaching staff. He did not have a choice on at least 4 of them. They were Holmoe hires.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I don't think Kalani should take the heat for the coaching staff. He did not have a choice on at least 4 of them. They were Holmoe hires.
    Did Kalani know this when he took the job as HC? Or know he didn't have full leeway to pick his guys?
    If not, it's on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Did Kalani know this when he took the job as HC? Or know he didn't have full leeway to pick his guys?
    If not, it's on him.

I disagree. Kenny Niumatalolo declined the job in part because of this requirement but he was already a HC. Head coaching jobs do not come along that often, so I place the blame on lack of staff experience on Holmoe. Did Kalani know that condition? Yes.