Page 109 of 114 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,270 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

And follow it up by firing Tom Holmoe for so badly botching the Ken Niumatololo interview.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    He really needs to dump Mahe, Cahoon and Emory. There is a reason Bronco fired Cahoon and Empey
    So how does Empey, Jr feel that he redirected his chance to play for a P5 so he could go to Provo to play for his dad for one season. Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 11-27-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Meh. BYU students and fans already justify plenty of garbage. This will be used as a faith promoting story about how he avoided the evil temptations of playing football on Sundays.

Happy Festivus Eve everyone.

Looks like ARod has paid the price of Provo employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Rearranging chairs won’t do much. This is Kalani’s team, and he seems lost.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Rearranging chairs won’t do much. This is Kalani’s team, and he seems lost.
    Well at least he got to hire these guys as opposed to those headed out the door. They also have much more experience. Whether that makes a difference remains to be seen.

Looks like ARod has paid the price of Provo employment.

someone get arod a shake weight for that pic

I"d sure love to get Empey back with his father now out. I've got to imagine he's feeling some serious regret.

GrimRod?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I"d sure love to get Empey back with his father now out. I've got to imagine he's feeling some serious regret.
    I was thinking earlier, because I’m a horrible person, that it would be funny to hire his dad now while he rots in Provo.

Troubled young man. I hope he gets things figured out.

From his hoops hiatus Nick Emery blogs about anxiety, suicide, depression

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...epression.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Troubled young man. I hope he gets things figured out.

From his hoops hiatus Nick Emery blogs about anxiety, suicide, depression

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...epression.html
    I think this is a good thing for him to do. I'll tell you why...

It truly must be difficult when you feel like you peaked at 18. I'm not trying to slam Nick, but he was always the best player on the floor through high school and into college. Always pampered and coddled to a certain extent, and no matter what else happened, he knew he was the best player on the floor. Now reality has sunk in. Life is hard, and he doesn't necessarily have the tools yet to learn how to handle life's situations.

He is a competitor, so I'm sure he'll find a way to transform those energies into something else he is good at. I do feel sorry for him though. I feel like the people around him let him down in that they let so much of his identity be wrapped up in his life as a basketball player. I can see where that would be a hard thing to manage though when you see he really is that good so you want him to be able to see how far he can take it. You don't want to get in his way, but at the same time managing his expectations. It's a tough situation.

It sounds like he's taking the steps to get himself right in the head though. Kudos to him.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I think this is a good thing for him to do. I'll tell you why...

It truly must be difficult when you feel like you peaked at 18. I'm not trying to slam Nick, but he was always the best player on the floor through high school and into college. Always pampered and coddled to a certain extent, and no matter what else happened, he knew he was the best player on the floor. Now reality has sunk in. Life is hard, and he doesn't necessarily have the tools yet to learn how to handle life's situations.

He is a competitor, so I'm sure he'll find a way to transform those energies into something else he is good at. I do feel sorry for him though. I feel like the people around him let him down in that they let so much of his identity be wrapped up in his life as a basketball player. I can see where that would be a hard thing to manage though when you see he really is that good so you want him to be able to see how far he can take it. You don't want to get in his way, but at the same time managing his expectations. It's a tough situation.

It sounds like he's taking the steps to get himself right in the head though. Kudos to him.
    I agree. It's a cautionary tale. I wonder if his life would have been different if someone he trusted had intervened when he was acting out violently during his teen years. People probably excused that as just a function of his fiery competitive temperament.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I agree. It's a cautionary tale. I wonder if his life would have been different if someone he trusted had intervened when he was acting out violently during his teen years. People probably excused that as just a function of his fiery competitive temperament.
    I know commenting in this thread is like saying ‘bloody Mary’ three times in front of a mirror... where suddenly tooblue will appear, but the way people reacted on ‘his side’ when he punched Taylor was awfully enabling behavior for someone with some serious problems.

Fans will always be dismissive and defensive of their guy, but Rose was completely indifferent to it publicly, as was the university, and his family was defensive of it.

I am certain were I to do something like that even today I would be in deep trouble with my parents. Of course I grew up in a home where the justice system for the kids was guilty until proven innocent.

But I think his parents and family are big contributors to this disservice - and this is not uncommon among people with serious problems like addicts etc. They are often surrounded by people who enable them by being nice and forgiving when what they need is some tough love.

They feared giving him tough love, because they were scared he would wish them into the cornfield...
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 01-20-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I know commenting in this thread is like saying ‘bloody Mary’ three times in front of a mirror... where suddenly tooblue will appear, but the way people reacted on ‘his side’ when he punched Taylor was awfully enabling behavior for someone with some serious problems.

Fans will always be dismissive and defensive of their guy, but Rose was completely indifferent to it publicly, as was the university, and his family was defensive of it.

I am certain were I to do something like that even today I would be in deep trouble with my parents. Of course I grew up in a home where the justice system for the kids was guilty until proven innocent.

But I think his parents and family are big contributors to this disservice - and this is not uncommon among people with serious problems like addicts etc. They are often surrounded by people who enable them by being nice and forgiving when what they need is some tough love.

I’m just looking at him as a guy who could be in my ward or my family. It’s not a BYU thing to me. So often when someone is special in terms of talent, whether it’s musical or athletic or something else, we indulge that person. A young woman in our ward was a musical prodigy. She obviously had problems, looking back now, but nobody did anything about them because they wrote the behavior off to her “artistic temperament.“ she is an adult now and getting help, but her life could’ve been easier and better if rather than overlooking signs of problems, people had expected more of her and paid more attention to her as a person, not as a prodigy, when she was younger.

--Yeats

He certainly behaves like someone who has always been entitled.

I’m just looking at him as a guy who could be in my ward or my family. It’s not a BYU thing to me. So often when someone is special in terms of talent, whether it’s musical or athletic or something else, we indulge that person. A young woman in our ward was a musical prodigy. She obviously had problems, looking back now, but nobody did anything about them because they wrote the behavior off to her “artistic temperament.“ she is an adult now and getting help, but her life could’ve been easier and better if rather than overlooking signs of problems, people had expected more of her and paid more attention to her as a person, not as a prodigy, when she was younger.

I can really see how it would be a difficult situation to parent someone who is genuinely talented. You want them to push their potential as far as they can but also fear that tempering their indulgences may somehow influence whatever it is that makes them so good.

That's gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's a blessing that my kids appear to be completely average in every way.

These are good thoughts. I've been pretty vocal on this--there was something wrong with this kid. Good to see he's seeking therapy and working through it.

I hated BYU basketball.

Now I don't mind watching them. They are bunch of kids playing together, defending and moving the ball. They play real basketball this year instead of the laughable joke of basketball they played last year. It will be interesting to see what they are like with him back. Emery is not a star, he's a role player and could be a good one. But, I have a had time seeing him accept that role.

It's a blessing that my kids appear to be completely average in every way.
    My kids are tall but inherited my unfortunate shortage of fast-twitch muscle fibers.

--Yeats

casper.jpg

Oops, missed it. Sorry Rocker!

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    casper.jpg

Oops, missed it. Sorry Rocker!
    Just a warning this time. If it happens again, we will have to set up some sort of performance plan to get you back on track.

This happened after Ricky Rubio was at the BYU game...and someone wanted Ingles to come to a game.

Gotta love twitter

Did Ricky Rubio lose a bet or something?
    You’re saying spending the evening in Provo isn’t the dream of every professional athlete?

That thread from Ingles/Bogut is priceless. I highly recommend checking it out.

The tears of BYU Jazz fans were delicious, and the shots from Bogut were awesome.

Classic.

Classic.