Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 5 straight: UTAH vs. BYU, Vegas Bowl 2015

Shooting for 5 straight: UTAH vs. BYU, Vegas Bowl 2015

I'm there. Bringing my entire crew from Brazil.

BYU 27
    Utah 26

Do they allow each team to wear their home Red/Blue uni's?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Talked to a player today. Suffice it to say motivation will not be a problem.

They know the Vegas Bowl people gave BYU a huge head start on ticket sales - "90% of the at-large tickets are gone, so our fans got shafted, just like we did".

They know this is basically a road game vs BYU. This bowl, and the way things have gone down with the announcement, and how we somehow went from having the #5 position on record to the 6th PAC bowl, our record was better than last year but have to go to the same bowl.... these all amount to a big time chip on the shoulder.

Motivation... not going to be a problem.

My own hunch is if BYU players start in with the cheap shots, this game could get really, really ugly, and that could boil over into the stands, possibly beyond. The discrepancy in announcement timing reveals either spectacular incompetence by the Vegas Bowl people, at best, or possibly some kind of corruption, at worst, maybe a big "donation" to the bowl committee, which I think is unlikely, but the handling of the situation opens the door for that kind of speculation.

The net effect is both Ute players and Ute fans feel like they got jobbed, and the team will have a response.

BYU people may say that the uncertainty with the Hawaii Bowl required an early announcement, but that argues for bowls to be really careful in how they handle invitations to non-league teams like BYU, as it relates to conference championship game timing and the dominos falling, etc. In other words, this wouldn't have been a problem if the Vegas Bowl stayed with the MWC champions as the other team.

Never a problem getting motivated to play BYU, and then layer on a healthy amount of disrespect and getting jacked around in the process... we'll be ready.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 12-06-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Anybody thinking about setting up a gofund me account so suspenders boy can attend for old times sake?

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I'm there. Bringing my entire crew from Brazil.

BYU 27
    Utah 26
    I would never title this "Utah awaits BYU". Clearly the work of a moderator.

Utah is soooo wroonged in this travesty. If you didn't want to be in the Vegas Bowl, why didn't you win more games?

Utah is soooo wroonged in this travesty. If you didn't want to be in the Vegas Bowl, why didn't you win more games?
    It's Stanford 's fault. If they had beaten northwestern we wouldn't be in this hellhole.

The Rivalry Gremlin at work again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

The idea of this game is growing on me. I am going to stop whining about getting hosed and just enjoy it.

Piper was saying that Covey might be available, but Scott probably will not be. I sure hope Covey can play. If not, I don't know who we will line up at WR.........

That reminds me that I read (as Im sure most of you did as well) that Kendall T was taking reps at WR. With the increased tendency of teams to use dual-threat QB's, I have often wondered when teams would start using two QB's on the field at once to really increase the confusion with run, pass options. Its a big risk, but would be interesting. Having Kendall out there with Travis could help give a threat of some weird plays.

Need a big game from everyone who steps foot on the field.

whatever happened to Butler-Byrd at WR? Did he get any reps after Fresno St? That seemed to die after getting a little hype pre-season.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    whatever happened to Butler-Byrd at WR? Did he get any reps after Fresno St? That seemed to die after getting a little hype pre-season.
    I've wanted to see this for a few weeks now. You know Kyle/HardRod, there's nothing wrong with having TWO shifty guys in your WR corps (Mind blown). I've also read that Kendall Thompson is getting a look at WR as well. Last game of the year, can't hold anything back.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

He caught the go-ahead TD vs. Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    VegasInsiders.com has it at Utah -3.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...s-vegas/?s=200

CBB had a TD (or huge pass reception) in the ASU game.

Kendal T getting reps at WR is an idea that should have happened 9 weeks ago. He is too talented to keep off the field, and we weren't going to win with him at QB.

Had an INT against Colorado. He did lose his starting role at CB when Hatfield came back but still played here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    VegasInsiders.com has it at Utah -3.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...s-vegas/?s=200
    With a total of 54. I'm emptying the piggybank on the under.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    The idea of this game is growing on me. I am going to stop whining about getting hosed and just enjoy it.

Piper was saying that Covey might be available, but Scott probably will not be. I sure hope Covey can play. If not, I don't know who we will line up at WR.........

That reminds me that I read (as Im sure most of you did as well) that Kendall T was taking reps at WR. With the increased tendency of teams to use dual-threat QB's, I have often wondered when teams would start using two QB's on the field at once to really increase the confusion with run, pass options. Its a big risk, but would be interesting. Having Kendall out there with Travis could help give a threat of some weird plays.

Need a big game from everyone who steps foot on the field.
    If reports of Covey's injury are accurate I'll be surprised if he can play and be effective this soon.

BYU fans are ecstatic because this game gives them the chance for their biggest win since going independent. It's time for war. Go get 'em, Utes!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Ute player interviews about the Vegas Bowl:

http://espn700sports.com/utes/utah-p...wl-invitation/

These made me proud of the guys and frankly, got me pumped for the game. Andy Phillips does an especially nice job.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, who will play WR for us in this game? Smith, Singleton, McClellon, and maybe Thompson? Wow.
    Kenric Young played against Colorado. Handley and Repp.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-07-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Shooting for 5 straight: UTAH vs. BYU, Vegas Bowl 2015

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, they're less whiny than we are.
    Travis is "definitely" excited for the game. Love that kid. I'll miss his "surfer dude" interview style.

--Yeats

Kenric Young played against Colorado. Handley and Repp.
    Well, who is supposed to draw PI in Kenny's absence?

There are a bunch of guys on the team who have never played BYU, but are certainly aware of the passions that exist in this game. Playing BYU in Vegas is a new twist for the few that have, since our last game against them was in Provo. With a win in Vegas, I gotta imagine it's a very short list of players that have beaten BYU in SLC, in Provo and on a neutral field. Anyone wanna take up the task?

A copy from a page of the BYU playbook...

neckpunch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Last game of the year, can't hold anything back.
    Attachment 1707
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    A copy from a page of the BYU playbook...

neckpunch.jpg
    You Utes are cute.

You got into the PAC12 because the school sponsored by the religion many of you belong to is deemed to be bigoted by the conference you now proudly brandish at every moment (PAC12!!!).

Now you feel entitled.

You are entitled to nothing.

Nobody can stop this rivalry from rolling forward. Even when administrations try to squash it for a couple of years, it won't be denied for more than one of them. Utah and BYU are like yin and yang, Holmes and Moriarty, Heaven and Hell, diametrically opposed forever.

I am really enjoying seeing some of the whiniest in our fanbase accept that the game is happening and go from weiners about it to invested in it. That is right, and good.

If as Ma'ake predicts, the game and crowd (and beyond) get kind of "chippy" it will not be because the rivalry shouldn't be played, it will be because it hasn't been played. The rivalry is a pressure relief valve. The longer you wait to release the pressure, the more it will have built up and the more volatile the release. If you don't release it at all, you risk explosion.

I am excited for the game.

You Utes are cute.

You got into the PAC12 because the school sponsored by the religion many of you belong to is deemed to be bigoted by the conference you now proudly brandish at every moment (PAC12!!!).

Now you feel entitled.

You are entitled to nothing.
    I think being not bigoted deserves some credit. As a bigoted university BYU probably deserves worse than it gets.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    There are a bunch of guys on the team who have never played BYU, but are certainly aware of the passions that exist in this game. Playing BYU in Vegas is a new twist for the few that have, since our last game against them was in Provo. With a win in Vegas, I gotta imagine it's a very short list of players that have beaten BYU in SLC, in Provo and on a neutral field. Anyone wanna take up the task?
    I'd be shocked if such a player exists. They would've had to transfer to (or from) another school that defeated BYU in a neutral location, because BYU and Utah have never played outside of SLC and Provo.

But, I assumed it was easily the latest we've ever played BYU. Utah and BY Academy played on 12-18-1896, and BYU won 22-0. The first recorded date between the two schools? April 6th of the previous year. Utah won 12-4.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think being not bigoted deserves some credit. As a bigoted university BYU probably deserves worse than it gets.
    I agree but that's not the point.