Thread: The Basketball Scheduling Thread

Hybrid View

vs. Maine - Final RPI 338 (Q4)
    @ Minnesota - Final RPI 164 (Q3)
    vs. Mississippi Valley St. - Final RPI 349 (Q4)
    (N) vs. Hawaii - Final RPI 212 (Q4, at best Q3)
    (N) vs. Seton Hall/GCU (Q1 for Seton Hall, Q3-4 for GCU)
    (N) vs. Miami/LaSalle, Northwestern/Fresno St. (Q1-4 - We'll just have to see)
    vs. Tulsa - Final RPI 86 (Q3)
    (N) BYU - Final RPI 69 (Q2 - Q3)
    @ Kentucky - Q1
    vs. Florida A&M - Final RPI - 332 (Q4)
    vs. Northern Arizona - Final RPI 308 (Q4)
    vs. Nevada - Q1

Credit where credit is due. This is a good schedule.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Of note: Missouri off the schedule. I wonder if that game was bought out or postponed to another season.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Of note: Missouri off the schedule. I wonder if that game was bought out or postponed to another season.
    Bill RileyVerified account @espn700bill 8m8 minutes agoMore

For those that have inquired about Missouri and Utah Game this season. Andy Hill told me today on the show, it's been pushed back a year for "logisitical" issues. #Utes @ESPN700

vs. Maine - Final RPI 338 (Q4)
    @ Minnesota - Final RPI 164 (Q3)
    vs. Mississippi Valley St. - Final RPI 349 (Q4)
    (N) vs. Hawaii - Final RPI 212 (Q4, at best Q3)
    (N) vs. Seton Hall/GCU (Q1 for Seton Hall, Q3-4 for GCU)
    (N) vs. Miami/LaSalle, Northwestern/Fresno St. (Q1-4 - We'll just have to see)
    vs. Tulsa - Final RPI 86 (Q3)
    (N) BYU - Final RPI 69 (Q2 - Q3)
    @ Kentucky - Q1
    vs. Florida A&M - Final RPI - 332 (Q4)
    vs. Northern Arizona - Final RPI 308 (Q4)
    vs. Nevada - Q1

Credit where credit is due. This is a good schedule.
    We need Minnesota and BYU to be good, and we need to beat them. Splitting Kentucky/Nevada would be huge. If we're starting out with a Q4 in Anaheim, I hope we can get Q2 or better in our other two games there. Still too much Q4 dreck on the schedule, and from such far-flung places. Why we don't schedule UVU, Weber and SUU instead is beyond me. All 3 schools would be massive upgrades ahead of Maine, MVSU and Florida A&M. Talk about a place where the legislature should get involved ...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Talk about a place where the legislature should get involved ...
    I'm pretty sure most of the legislature doesn't know what UVU, SUU, and WSU stand for.

USU wants a home & home—Utes don’t make enough $ or Q level to travel there.

Might be the same for Weber.

Maine et al, are not home & home.

It all comes down to $$.

Weber would play us every year in the Huntsman Center - at least as long as the current staff is there, SUU as well. Give USU a few more years and they'll be willing to do the same. In the meantime, the Weber State game should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    USU wants a home & home—Utes don’t make enough $ or Q level to travel there.

Might be the same for Weber.

Maine et al, are not home & home.

It all comes down to $$.
    Didn't mention USU. Did mention Utah Valley (UVU). You're right in that Weber probably wants H-H, and I for the life of me don't know why we don't give it to them.

There are still guarantees we gotta give those schools. I know for a fact when College of Idaho came for a regular season game, we gave them $5K plus expenses. Stanford gave Bethune-Cookman $75K plus expenses. We could give SUU and UVU a fraction of what we'll have to give Maine, MVSU and Florida A&M, and we'll sell more tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Didn't mention USU. Did mention Utah Valley (UVU). You're right in that Weber probably wants H-H, and I for the life of me don't know why we don't give it to them.

There are still guarantees we gotta give those schools. I know for a fact when College of Idaho came for a regular season game, we gave them $5K plus expenses. Stanford gave Bethune-Cookman $75K plus expenses. We could give SUU and UVU a fraction of what we'll have to give Maine, MVSU and Florida A&M, and we'll sell more tickets.
    The one thing Andy Hill did say on the Bill Riley show yesterday is that sometimes it is about trying to fit an opponent into a specific window/day you want to play and time, etc., and that he understands that the fans might be frustrated by some of those opponents, but that it is a pretty small list (or at least that is what he implied) when you consider all of those factors, etc. I'm not sure if I buy that completely, I think to your larger point, you call SUU and say "when are you available to play" and go from there to maybe fill one of those spots in late December...or, maybe you see if you can get one of these teams when you play Colorado and have a bye.

The one thing Andy Hill did say on the Bill Riley show yesterday is that sometimes it is about trying to fit an opponent into a specific window/day you want to play and time, etc., and that he understands that the fans might be frustrated by some of those opponents, but that it is a pretty small list (or at least that is what he implied) when you consider all of those factors, etc. I'm not sure if I buy that completely, I think to your larger point, you call SUU and say "when are you available to play" and go from there to maybe fill one of those spots in late December...or, maybe you see if you can get one of these teams when you play Colorado and have a bye.
    I don’t think you want to squeeze a game in during the one week window.

Conference schedule with TV makes it much more chaotic, Larry was pretty vocal last year that his guys lacked down time and practice time.

The other issue, the conference doesn’t set the conference schedule until September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I don’t think you want to squeeze a game in during the one week window.

Conference schedule with TV makes it much more chaotic, Larry was pretty vocal last year that his guys lacked down time and practice time.

The other issue, the conference doesn’t set the conference schedule until September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not...but last year the schedule was really wonky. Andy said they've voted on an A vs. B schedule and that the league should lock that in and then the TV partners get their say. But you are right, it would be hard to hold your schedule captive waiting for the league schedule to come out.