Thread: The Basketball Scheduling Thread

Hybrid View

Some interesting scheduling news starting to trickle out in college hoops - none of it Utah related, yet. St. Marys and Creighton I believe have agreed to a neutral site game. Butler and Florida are playing a home and home, and I think Oklahoma just agreed to a H/H with somebody...might have been Creighton as well. UNC has started doing 2 for 1s with in state schools and will travel to Wofford this next year, and UNC Wilmington (I think) the following season.

Which makes me wonder...how many of the in-state schools would be down with a 2 for 1 with Utah. I would imagine Southern Utah would do it in a heartbeat, and Weber possibly would too. Even UVU might do that just to get the home game. Now, as I've stated before, I think Larry should be taking his team on the road in the OOC more anyway, but these 2 for 1s might be a great way to start doing that. Likewise, outside of the beehive classic, I wonder if a team would be more likely to come to SLC if they played in Vivint instead of in the JMHC.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

A part of me thinks the in state schools would do a 2 for 1. Weber, UVU, Utah State would all be fun.

But it a part of me thinks that the other schools are still hurt over Utah moving onwards and upwards and wouldn’t agree to a 2 for 1. Also, if you are doing 2 for 1’s with all the other in state schools, then BYU really has no argument to playing them 2 for 1. It’s just standard policy. Plus, it’s not like they are a good program anyways.

Now it would be a good time to play USU and just crush them.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Some interesting scheduling news starting to trickle out in college hoops - none of it Utah related, yet. St. Marys and Creighton I believe have agreed to a neutral site game. Butler and Florida are playing a home and home, and I think Oklahoma just agreed to a H/H with somebody...might have been Creighton as well. UNC has started doing 2 for 1s with in state schools and will travel to Wofford this next year, and UNC Wilmington (I think) the following season.

Which makes me wonder...how many of the in-state schools would be down with a 2 for 1 with Utah. I would imagine Southern Utah would do it in a heartbeat, and Weber possibly would too. Even UVU might do that just to get the home game. Now, as I've stated before, I think Larry should be taking his team on the road in the OOC more anyway, but these 2 for 1s might be a great way to start doing that. Likewise, outside of the beehive classic, I wonder if a team would be more likely to come to SLC if they played in Vivint instead of in the JMHC.
    We should never want to go to Cedar City when we've got Ogden nearby. SUU is the one school I would never want to see us work out a series that has us going down there. All the others are definitely in play -- even UVU. But Utah State will never agree to it, and Weber is iffy.

in related news Wilner graded the Pac-12 schools OOC football schedule over the next 5 years.

Utah graded out a 'D'

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    in related news Wilner graded the Pac-12 schools OOC football schedule over the next 5 years.

Utah graded out a 'D'
    He's right. It's not a good schedule. You can still argue that it's a good strategy, though. We've had that debate.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He's right. It's not a good schedule. You can still argue that it's a good strategy, though. We've had that debate.
    I agree its a good strategy for football. The PAC-12 is difficult enough with 9 conference games that the OOC schedule is essentially irrelevant. Typically, that's true of OOC scheduling for PAC-12 basketball. The conference schedule should prove difficult enough that Utah shouldn't need to over-schedule. With 2 more basketball conference games added next year, I wonder what the impact will be?

I agree its a good strategy for football. The PAC-12 is difficult enough with 9 conference games that the OOC schedule is essentially irrelevant.
    The situation that would leave us wringing our hands is if we have a great season and get left out of the playoff in favor of teams that played tougher OOC schedules. It's a fairly unlikely scenario, but it could happen. Of course, we could also miss out due to an OOC loss to a tough team. It works both ways.

The likelier situation for us is that by finishing 3-0 OOC, we are more likely to be bowl eligible, and we are more likely to snag one of the better Pac-12 affiliated bowls.

On the other hand, what fan wouldn't like to see more good games on the schedule?

Utah graded out a 'D'
    He is right. The real head scratcher for me is Northern Illinois. I understand that they have had good teams in the past and that they could have a good team again this year, but it isn't in a recruiting area for us or in an area of heavy alumni base.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    He is right. The real head scratcher for me is Northern Illinois. I understand that they have had good teams in the past and that they could have a good team again this year, but it isn't in a recruiting area for us or in an area of heavy alumni base.
    True. The worst teams to schedule are cream-puff reputations that are legitimately good (No. Illinois, App. State, etc). If you are going to schedule crap, it better really stink.

That being said, I think I'll make the trip to DeKalb!

20 game league schedule to be discussed at the Pac 12 meetings in Phoenix. Earliest we'd see it is 19-20: https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-p...ence-schedule/
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.