Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Insightful? The classic "Whittingham hates offense" insight that lazy fans have been making for 10 years.
    I thought the guy was trying to post his theory about what might be going on. He did a lot more than say Kyle hates offense. Think about it. If Whitt, in his heart of hearts, just wants someone else to take care of offense, and he believes what he said on the radio last night ("Be efficient, execute, move the chains and put points on the board. There are a 1,000 different ways to do that.") then that explains a lot of things about all the serial OC changes and the Utes' offensive struggles.

I think that statement by Whitt says an awful lot. I don't want him gone but I think we need to be honest with ourselves that Kyle is not an offense-minded head coach, and it shows. That seems absolutely plain to me. I don't understand why some fans refuse to admit it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Kyle is not an offense-minded head coach, and it shows. That seems absolutely plain to me. I don't understand why some fans refuse to admit it.
    I don't know anyone who would refuse to admit that Kyle is a defensive minded coach. It's all the other stuff - said, unsaid, implied, hypothesized, extrapolated - that comes along with it that some people won't indulge in.

I do - amazingly - know some fans who refuse to admit that Kyle is a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I would run the 5 or 6 QB options with Huntley, much as was done with Travis.
    I like that approach, but I'm losing patience for it. Travis was really good at running the option. He sold fakes really well, he made good choices, and he was big enough to get some YAC. It just never seems to work with Huntley.

I don't know anyone who would refuse to admit that Kyle is a defensive minded coach. It's all the other stuff - said, unsaid, implied, hypothesized, extrapolated - that comes along with it that some people won't indulge in.

I do - amazingly - know some fans who refuse to admit that Kyle is a great coach.
    He is a great coach. Some pretty smart football people I know (I am not such a person) think Kyle may be another McBride, on a plateau he can't get off of -- except that the plateau Whitt is on is higher than the one Ronnie Mac was on. It's still a plateau.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Chris Peterson has just about everybody’s number. He’s like Urban Meyer, in a class by himself. He may get even more out of his talent. It’s unfortunate we played them so early because his Huskies have tended to fade a bit as the year goes. They play super hard. But holding them to 21 ought to have been enough to beat them. I’d have guessed it could be.

Now it’s not an unreasonable goal to win the South and beat them in a rematch title game. Let’s hope for the best, see what happens.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Now it’s not an unreasonable goal to win the South
    Sure does look up for grabs right now.

He is a great coach. Some pretty smart football people I know (I am not such a person) think Kyle may be another McBride, on a plateau he can't get off of -- except that the plateau Whitt is on is higher than the one Ronnie Mac was on. It's still a plateau.
    You literally can't go any higher than a national championship, so, yeah, I guess he plateau'ed.

You literally can't go any higher than a national championship, so, yeah, I guess he plateau'ed.
    Well played. I just don’t want 2008 to become our 1984.

--Yeats

Well played. I just don’t want 2008 to become our 1984.
    That's fair.

Did I miss something? Where was Siosi Mariner? He had been playing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Did I miss something? Where was Siosi Mariner? He had been playing really well.
    I think he's the one who laid out that LB on Huntley's big scramble. Am I wrong? In general, we went from 10+ guys with receptions to just 6.

I think he's the one who laid out that LB on Huntley's big scramble. Am I wrong? In general, we went from 10+ guys with receptions to just 6.
    You're right; he was.

Is this what we mean about having no identity?

Utebuntu
    @Utebuntu
    13m13 minutes ago

Unpopular, but I think very true take: Utah has assembled an offensive line that isn’t built to be pass protectors. We want to be a passing offense so badly but we aren’t built for it. Utah’s best chance to win many games this year is run-heavy offense with elite defense.

Maybe so, but I don't really think that pass protection was the problem in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Maybe so, but I don't really think that pass protection was the problem in this game.
    I thought it was much better than it was against NIU. Of course, NIU has an all-american DE.

Is our line built for run blocking? That's an interesting question. I don't think they are regularly opening big holes for Moss/Huntley, and we seem to be struggling with 3rd and short. I think they struggled with RPOs last season.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    It wasn’t.

Tony Jones had several interactions with people on Twitter.

His take is Tyler’s lack of accuracy is affecting the play calls Taylor will make

His take on the wideouts is they’re afraid of getting blown up because of the lack of accuracy so they’re short arming everything.

I think it’s pretty accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was much better than it was against NIU. Of course, NIU has an all-american DE.

Is our line built for run blocking? That's an interesting question. I don't think they are regularly opening big holes for Moss/Huntley, and we seem to be struggling with 3rd and short. I think they struggled with RPOs last season.
    Washington St game announced start time at 4PM MT

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    His take is Tyler’s lack of accuracy is affecting the play calls Taylor will make
    I agree. We aren't going to go downfield as often with Huntley due to accuracy. He's been accurate on 0-10 yard outs, though.

I haven't seen WRs with alligator arms. Maybe a compilations of drops would prove me wrong, but I don't remember this as an issue.

I loved Tony Jones on Twitter. I stopped following him when he was demoted to the Jazz. Maybe I should follow him again. He wasn't afraid to argue with fans or to double down on losing arguments. He's definitely relatable. Feels like one of us.

If I'm an opponent of Utah's I will corner blitz all night long. Huntley has not pocket presence and it will contain his running ability too. Interestingly, I think Jake Browning has the same problem dealing with the blitz... draw whatever conclusion you want on that.

Either that or throw a triangle and two at them. That seems to work for everything in all sports.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 09-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Targeting remains one of the worst things college football has done in recent years. Such good intentions, and such a bad rule.
    Seriously, show a non-football fan the hard hits from Sat's game, and have them guess who got personal fouls. 10/10 would guess the Husky DB who violently laid his shoulder into Covey's chest. That was by far the most violent moment of the game. Perfectly legal, dangerous violence.

0/10 would guess Fotu's hit because it wouldn't even make the list of hard hits. That was just another hit in a game full of them. He gets an ejection AND a suspension for that, while the truly violent plays are just fine.

I wish some of the big sportswriters would stop writing about paying players and write about the mess that is the targeting penalty (or the mess that is scheduling, but that's a different rant). Almost every targeting I see called is for incidental contact. To throw someone out of the game for incidental contact is ridiculous.

Fans already have trust issues with referees. Now we see them refs trying to make sense of an awful rule. They send it to the booth (which is manned by another referee, so not really inspiring confidence), and the booth checks frame-by-frame if any part of a player's helmet makes contact with another player. Then they allow a former ref (!) to tell us how it's the right call.

If they want a rule to protect players, they should make one. If they want a rule that throws people out of games randomly, they are doing well.

Seriously, show a non-football fan the hard hits from Sat's game, and have them guess who got personal fouls. 10/10 would guess the Husky DB who violently laid his shoulder into Covey's chest. That was by far the most violent moment of the game. Perfectly legal, dangerous violence.

0/10 would guess Fotu's hit because it wouldn't even make the list of hard hits. That was just another hit in a game full of them. He gets an ejection AND a suspension for that, while the truly violent plays are just fine.

I wish some of the big sportswriters would stop writing about paying players and write about the mess that is the targeting penalty (or the mess that is scheduling, but that's a different rant). Almost every targeting I see called is for incidental contact. To throw someone out of the game for incidental contact is ridiculous.

Fans already have trust issues with referees. Now we see them refs trying to make sense of an awful rule. They send it to the booth (which is manned by another referee, so not really inspiring confidence), and the booth checks frame-by-frame if any part of a player's helmet makes contact with another player. Then they allow a former ref (!) to tell us how it's the right call.

If they want a rule to protect players, they should make one. If they want a rule that throws people out of games randomly, they are doing well.
    The Fotu hit and the Clay Mathews roughing the passer were both ridiculous, IMHO

A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

As things have turned out, I think the bye this week is very well-timed for us. Lots to work on.

--Yeats

As things have turned out, I think the bye this week is very well-timed for us. Lots to work on.

On a macro level of course, its not a good thing if a bye after three weeks is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    On a macro level of course, its not a good thing if a bye after three weeks is a good thing.
    True. But this team needed to be rescued.

--Yeats

We need to get Moss healthy.

Julian Blackmon went out in the second half and didn’t return despite testing a leg injury.

Mariner was nowhere to be seen after blowing the UW linebacker up

The bye is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I understood our identity under Chow and ARod. Under Chow we had Jon Hayes at QB, John White at RB, a good OL and Shawn Asiata as a blocking fullback. We were a power run team that play actioned off the power run. Chow left and BJ became the OC. I think Brian was too young to be put into that position and never really had the opportunity to figure out what he wanted to do and how he wanted to do it. He didn't have his own offensive playbook. He was borrowing things from Andy, Chow and ARod and trying to mix them altogether. Under ARod we had Travis at QB, a veteran OL and Joe Williams at RB. Travis was not a good passer, but he was the best we had. The offensive identity was hand the ball to Joe, mix in some QB run-option to take advantage of what Travis did well and throw when necessary. Now those identities had drawbacks and limitations. We were not explosive. We bogged down in the redzone. However, we put the players we had in the best possible position to win.
    Minor clarification: Travis had Devontae Booker. Troy Williams had Joe Williams. All else is largely spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Washington St game announced start time at 4PM MT
    On Pac-12 Nets too, as I suspected (Thought we'd get an earlier start -- sorry Sancho). I'm optimistic Stanford will be nationally televised (the schedule isn't very appealing that week), and then three straight weeks of nationally televised games (Arizona, USC, UCLA -- the bookends on Friday night; USC ain't gonna have a league game relegated to P12 Nets).

I have heard reports that Covey said the offense has no identity, and that one of the reasons for this is that they are running too many formations.

We had, what, 38 pass plays on Saturady? Thiry-eight passes against one of the best defensive secondaries in college football makes no sense, especially when you have a running back like Moss -- who ran for 67 yards on 13 carries, a 5.15 yards per carry average.

The answer seems obvious: Simplify, simplify, simplify -- fewer formations, more carries for Moss.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I have heard reports that Covey said the offense has no identity, and that one of the reasons for this is that they are running too many formations.

We had, what, 38 pass plays on Saturady? Thiry-eight passes against one of the best defensive secondaries in college football makes no sense, especially when you have a running back like Moss -- who ran for 67 yards on 13 carries, a 5.15 yards per carry average.

The answer seems obvious: Simplify, simplify, simplify -- fewer formations, more carries for Moss.
    Covey said they needed to run more Moss and we lack an identity.

Kyle said today we ran too many personnel groups and that’s on him, along with the other coaches.

He said the offensive staff got too caught up in getting the perfect group in and it made the players not always know what was going on.

Kyle also inferred Shyne has not practiced well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Kyle also inferred Shyne has not practiced well.
    Discovering your mortality can have that effect on you.