Thread: I learned in Church today

Hybrid View

crazy LDS story out of Woods Cross, I'm not surprised but ...

https://www.ksl.com/article/46311746...d-abuse-charge

I don't know if I've told this story before but my Bishop when I was about 12, resigned from being Bishop after about 6 weeks in his position and left the church because of a church basketball incident

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

I don't know if I've told this story before but my Bishop when I was about 12, resigned from being Bishop after about 6 weeks in his position and left the church because of a church basketball incident
    I get a kick out of the reporting here......KSL goes to this guy's house and of course he can't talk so they go to..........a random neighbor?

I am extremely ignorant here so maybe can help me out because the article sure didn't........In a case like this, are charges being filed because the parents of the boy are pressing charges or did the hospital pass along the info and the police looked into it themselves and determined that charges should be pressed?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I get a kick out of the reporting here......KSL goes to this guy's house and of course he can't talk so they go to..........a random neighbor?

I am extremely ignorant here so maybe can help me out because the article sure didn't........In a case like this, are charges being filed because the parents of the boy are pressing charges or did the hospital pass along the info and the police looked into it themselves and determined that charges should be pressed?
    So in a case like this where no one was arrested initially, the police put together a screening packet. That packet has all of the interviews, evidence etc and that’s sent and/or presented to a district attorney (or prosecutor) who then determines what if any charges filed. On a felony level charge they can go forward even if there is reluctance from the victim to proceed

While police do make probably cause arrests, police never actually determine formal charges. That’s always up to the prosecuting attorney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to hear that story!

Now you've got to tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Now you've got to tell the story.

Dear Penthouse Forum,

I never thought this would happen to me ....

oops scratch that, wrong story

I was 12 or 13 when it “the incident” happened. Our new bishop loved basketball and played for our ward team. We used to hang out and watch them play, because during timeouts we’d run onto the court and shoot hoops. Our stake had a sweet court with one main court that ran North to South and two other courts that ran in the middle of it East to West. Our Stake court was as big as most high school gyms (and no carpet …. all wood baby).

During one game our ward men’s team were becoming frustrated with each other and things started to get heated. There was lots of finger pointing and banter with each other, “pass me the ball, I was wide open”, “you need to set a screen on that guy”, “rebound” type of stuff. The usual banter, but then it escalated. Before I describe “the incident” that led to us getting a brand newer bishop, I want to point out that this guy (our bishop of just a few weeks) was a good man. He was down to earth, caring, kind. Everyone thought he was an excellent choice to lead the ward. His fatal flaw was that when he played hoops, he transformed from Mr. Rodgers into Bill Laimbeer. He had a demon switch, he went from Mother Teresa lite to Nick Emery with a migraine quicker than a quarter mile with a borrowed friends Volkswagen Jetta. We’ve all played with this guy that considered a minor pickup game with a couple of guys the equivalent of playing for an Olympic gold medal. That was this guy. Off the court, he was just a regular easy going guy.

Our ward had one black family, and the dad played church basketball. During this game tempers continued to flare and I recall seeing a couple team members holding our bishop back from other players on his team. A couple swear words were dropped and our bishop shouted the “N” word! (Shudders), I’ll never forget that. It was completely awkward! Our Bishop finally calmed himself after a few of his friends calmed him and then he grabbed his stuff and left, never to return (okay that’s a bit dramatic, he would come once or twice a year if his kids were giving a talk or singing).

A few weeks later, we had a new bishop. I don’t know if he asked to be released or was canned. The black family in our ward that the “N’ word was directed too, moved out a few months later. I’m sure some apologies were offered, but it was probably just too uncomfortable for all involved.

Throughout my life, I’ve been in some great wards with great individuals with very little drama, but for whatever reason the ward that I grew up in as a kid had some bizarre/creepy incidents
    Last edited by Scorcho; 05-04-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Where was this?
    Layton, UT or as we used to call it Layun

Layton, UT or as we used to call it Layun
    I grew up there too. Do you mind saying what neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I grew up there too. Do you mind saying what neighborhood?
    just East of Fairfield off of Cherry Ln

Dear Penthouse Forum,

I never thought this would happen to me ....

oops scratch that, wrong story

I was 12 or 13 when it “the incident” happened. Our new bishop loved basketball and played for our ward team. We used to hang out and watch them play, because during timeouts we’d run onto the court and shoot hoops. Our stake had a sweet court with one main court that ran North to South and two other courts that ran in the middle of it East to West. Our Stake court was as big as most high school gyms (and no carpet …. all wood baby).

During one game our ward men’s team were becoming frustrated with each other and things started to get heated. There was lots of finger pointing and banter with each other, “pass me the ball, I was wide open”, “you need to set a screen on that guy”, “rebound” type of stuff. The usual banter, but then it escalated. Before I describe “the incident” that led to us getting a brand newer bishop, I want to point out that this guy (our bishop of just a few weeks) was a good man. He was down to earth, caring, kind. Everyone thought he was an excellent choice to lead the ward. His fatal flaw was that when he played hoops, he transformed from Mr. Rodgers into Bill Laimbeer. He had a demon switch, he went from Mother Teresa lite to Nick Emery with a migraine quicker than a quarter mile with a borrowed friends Volkswagen Jetta. We’ve all played with this guy that considered a minor pickup game with a couple of guys the equivalent of playing for an Olympic gold medal. That was this guy. Off the court, he was just a regular easy going guy.

Our ward had one black family, and the dad played church basketball. During this game tempers continued to flare and I recall seeing a couple team members holding our bishop back from other players on his team. A couple swear words were dropped and our bishop shouted the “N” word! (Shudders), I’ll never forget that. It was completely awkward! Our Bishop finally calmed himself after a few of his friends calmed him and then he grabbed his stuff and left, never to return (okay that’s a bit dramatic, he would come once or twice a year if his kids were giving a talk or singing).

A few weeks later, we had a new bishop. I don’t know if he asked to be released or was canned. The black family in our ward that the “N’ word was directed too, moved out a few months later. I’m sure some apologies were offered, but it was probably just too uncomfortable for all involved.

Throughout my life, I’ve been in some great wards with great individuals with very little drama, but for whatever reason the ward that I grew up in as a kid had some bizarre/creepy incidents
    Sad story. Reminds me of the time when our stake athletic director got into a fight, in a basketball game, with one of the bishops in the stake who was on the opposing team. I was the high councilor with responsibility for athletics (a horrible assignment) and was very young. I had no idea what to do except to separate them (one of them was a huge guy, former college player). I went home that night shaking my head.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Sad story. Reminds me of the time when our stake athletic director got into a fight, in a basketball game, with one of the bishops in the stake who was on the opposing team. I was the high councilor with responsibility for athletics (a horrible assignment) and was very young. I had no idea what to do except to separate them (one of them was a huge guy, former college player). I went home that night shaking my head.

I can't imagine a scenario where a bishop playing basketball is a good idea. Seems like there are a few of these stories around.

My personal favorite story of legend in my current ward happened before I moved in. Two individuals were playing basketball on the same team, one guy was in his 40s-50s, the other was in his 70s. Some argument started and neither guy was known for holding their tongue in any scenario, but the younger of the two was particularly bad. Things escalated and the guy in his 70s knocked out the younger guy. Yup, a knock-out fight between two guys on the same team. Both got banned from church sports.

To give you add'l perspective on the younger guy, one time in class at church he wanted to make a comment. A man who was quadriplegic also wanted to make a comment at the same time and the instructor called on him. The same hothead stormed out of the room saying, "I guess you have to be in a wheelchair to get called on here!"

Yeah...

I don't know what he said in the game to get punched, but my guess is he deserved it.