Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: The Higher Education Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Hang in there buddy.
    I more concerned about Solon. To be honest, though, he's got the looks and the Je ne sais quoi necessary to find himself a couple of sugar mommas. I'm too bald, pudgy and disagreeable for such things.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I more concerned about Solon. To be honest, though, he's got the looks and the Je ne sais quoi necessary to find himself a couple of sugar mommas. I'm too bald, pudgy and disagreeable for such things.
    That's ok, I always figured you more as a power bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That's ok, I always figured you more as a power bottom.
    No idea what you are referencing, and their ain't no way I am googling it.

Facing poverty, academics turn to sex work and sleeping in cars

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ademia-poverty
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Hang in there buddy.
    No shame here, bro. Love is love. Do whatcha gotta do. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    No shame here, bro. Love is love. Do whatcha gotta do. Peace.
    Agree Smackjack, but you may have to have a talk with your Ute brethren about their, uhm, lack of enlightenment.

I was once an adjunct professor of nursing at USC. (Teaching a health law course to undergrads.) I repressed the urge to make idiotic political outbursts, however.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The Higher Education Thread

How the Republicans' Tax Plan Threatens Higher Ed

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...tens-higher-ed

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    How the Republicans' Tax Plan Threatens Higher Ed

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...tens-higher-ed
    Thought provoking and very interesting read. That is what I have believed about the LDS subsidizing of BYU. The only table in the church that every "worthy" member cannot sit at.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Thought provoking and very interesting read. That is what I have believed about the LDS subsidizing of BYU. The only table in the church that every "worthy" member cannot sit at.
    Haha. I get the hate for byu (they deserved to be hated), but the every-worthy-member crowd has a few other tables that are off limits, especially the female lds crowd.

Haha. I get the hate for byu (they deserved to be hated), but the every-worthy-member crowd has a few other tables that are off limits, especially the female lds crowd.
    Okay, but this is the only such table with a quantifiable financial benefit. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Okay, but this is the only such table with a quantifiable financial benefit. Is that right?
    It’s a huge subsidy.

--Yeats

I think in the next decade you’ll see a big shift academically with BYU. Keep in mind that BYU-I was lead by Bednar and the large expansion of BYU Pathways.

BYU is a tough school to get in now, but much of that has come in the last two decades. I had no issue being accepted 22 years ago (for the record I never seriously considered it - I was hellbent on going to Utah and staying instate, my high school counselor insisted I apply to three schools so I did Utah, Westminster and BYU - laughing about the BYU notion). I was a pretty good student, but not great. Now kids with 4.0s good ACT scores and extracurricular activities up the wazzoo are getting turned down.

My point being, BYU wasn’t that great not too long ago, and was an outright embarrassment to go to in my dad’s era. I think the quality of the BYU satellites will pick up and two decades from now BYU-I will be a respectable place to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only quantifiable financial benefit to being LDS?

The only quantifiable financial benefit to being LDS?
    No, the welfare system is a quantifiable financial benefit to being LDS. I hope I never lose the job I have right now, but if I do, I know the Church will help me out for a while.

No, the welfare system is a quantifiable financial benefit to being LDS. I hope I never lose the job I have right now, but if I do, I know the Church will help me out for a while.
    This seems to also not be a all-worthy-members table, for obvious reasons. Perhaps BYU is not an outlier; perhaps most of the tables are restricted to some constituency (priesthood-men; welfare-poor; byu-uninformed).

This seems to also not be a all-worthy-members table, for obvious reasons.
    I'm not sure what the obvious reasons are. I think all members of the church live with the security of a welfare safety net. It's like insurance, and everyone sits that that table.

Anyway, in the non-financial side, for some nonsensical reason, you can't sit at the temple worker table if you have facial hair. Just dumb.

Even hard-core conservative thinker George Will doesn't like the tax on endowments:

The GOP Tax Bill’s Disconcerting Raid on University Endowments

A little-noticed provision would tax America’s elite universities to help fund the federal government’s operations. There’s nothing conservative about that.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...R5PM%20Actives

--Yeats

.........for some nonsensical reason, you can't sit at the temple worker table if you have facial hair. Just dumb.

Here's another weird one. A woman with with school aged children (and younger), cannot serve in the temple, but, a man can.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Anyway, in the non-financial side, for some nonsensical reason, you can't sit at the temple worker table if you have facial hair. Just dumb.
    Yes, I am a temple worker and that is a weird rule.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Here's another weird one. A woman with with school aged children (and younger), cannot serve in the temple, but, a man can.
    I am a temple worker and while I could be wrong, I think that has changed in the recent past. Just as the rule on participating in the MoTab was changed.

Even hard-core conservative thinker George Will doesn't like the tax on endowments:

The GOP Tax Bill’s Disconcerting Raid on University Endowments

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...R5PM%20Actives
    Way to go, Cards!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/o...nion&smtyp=cur

According to the Stanford economist Raj Chetty, the top 38 private colleges today enroll more students from the top 1 percent of the nation’s income spectrum than from the bottom 60 percent.

The Higher Education Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I am a temple worker and while I could be wrong, I think that has changed in the recent past. Just as the rule on participating in the MoTab was changed.
    It was President Hinckley who said that Temple workers must meet full-time missionary hair and grooming standards. The Los Angeles Temple president, a few years ago, decided that even members who are assisting in youth baptisms must meet those standards. As a result, our 75 year old Bishop, who had a mustache, could not go into the font and officiate in that ordinance. Neither could I, for the same reason. It was pretty ridiculous. I checked with my general authority friend who was at the time over the temple department and he said there was no such church wide rule. That temple President was a former Marine, so I wrote that incident off to his individual interpretation.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.

--Yeats

President Hinckley said that Temple workers must meet full-time missionary hair and grooming standards. The Los Angeles Temple president, a few years ago, decided that even members who are assisting in youth baptisms must meet those standards. As a result, our 75 year old Bishop, who had a mustache, could not go interesting the font and officiate in that ordinance. Neither could I, for the same reason. It was pretty ridiculous. I checked with my general authority friend who was at the time over the temple department and he said there was no such church wide rule. That temple President was a former Marine, so I wrote that incident off to his individual interpretation.
    Just dumb.

These Universities Benefit From an Offshore Tax Loophole

A New York Times report on Wednesday describes how some universities use “blocker corporations” — a loophole that effectively uses a middleman based in a low- or no-tax destination, like the Cayman Islands — to avoid paying taxes on the income....

“They’re not cheating. They’re not hiding money or disguising money,” Samuel Brunson, a law professor at Loyola University Chicago, told the Times. “But they’re adding money to a system that allows people, if they want to hide their money, to do it.”
    http://www.chronicle.com/article/The...ampaignId=7158

Seems like it’s not so much “the Rich“ who benefit from our tax system, but the investor class.

--Yeats

These Universities Benefit From an Offshore Tax Loophole

http://www.chronicle.com/article/The...ampaignId=7158

Seems like it’s not so much “the Rich“ who benefit from our tax system, but the investor class.
    Samuel Brunson (the professor quoted in the article you posted) is LDS!

Well, why isn’t he teaching at BYU, like every faithful LDS academic should? There must be something wrong with him.

--Yeats

Is there some master list you guys keep?

I know every woman on Facebook and Twitter has that in their profile, but how do you know about everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Is there some master list you guys keep?

I know every woman on Facebook and Twitter has that in their profile, but how do you know about everyone else?

My brain is like a steel trap for mormon trivia. For example, did you know that Ryan Gosling, star of the Notebook, is LDS? IT'S TRUE!

So, the Gap Year . . .

I'm encountering more and more young people who take a gap year after college but before graduate/professional school, or full-time employment.

(There are plenty of folks who take a gap year after high school, but I'm in Utah and lots of kids go on missions with similar effect.)

On the one hand, I like the idea of people trying different things before signing up for the rest of their lives.
    On the other hand, I've seen several recent college grads slip back and become less committed and less competitive when they try to take the LSAT or something. Also, a Gap Year sometimes slides into two or three Gap Years.

Thoughts in favor or against?
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.