Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: A Believer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think Rocker had predicted this.
    Preapproval for admission into the Pathways program? Is this like free entrance tickets to the library? I thought anyone could sign up for the pathways program.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think Rocker had predicted this.

I think those credits are widely transferable. This will help a lot of young RMs.
    If it’s like they’re regular online classes it won’t.

My wife needed a single class to be admitted to a new masters program at USU. BYU had the cheapest online option. She dropped it after a week. First the class was poorly structured, with tests not based on the book. But the final straw was when she asked to speak with the listed teacher to try and figure out how to improve, she was told they don’t allow you to speak to the teachers. You just ask questions in a message board.

She’s taking it from Weber state now, it’s more expensive, but a much better class. And one where the teacher encourages you to contact her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

My wife needed a single class to be admitted to a new masters program at USU. BYU had the cheapest online option. She dropped it after a week. First the class was poorly structured, with tests not based on the book. But the final straw was when she asked to speak with the listed teacher to try and figure out how to improve, she was told they don’t allow you to speak to the teachers. You just ask questions in a message board.

She’s taking it from Weber state now, it’s more expensive, but a much better class. And one where the teacher encourages you to contact her.

For missionaries who have no access to education this is huge and obviously will be pushed for those who don't. Further information notes missionaries who want will also be taught English to participate.

It isn't a suitable platform yet for others out there but if you are from a third world country this may be a big next step.

I'll also add that I'm not necessarily surprised by Diehard's wife's experience but that this will improve a great deal over time. Look at LDS Business College or BYU-Idaho. Heck, even BYU-Provo was kind of a joke educationally as little as 30-40 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    For missionaries who have no access to education this is huge and obviously will be pushed for those who don't. Further information notes missionaries who want will also be taught English to participate.

It isn't a suitable platform yet for others out there but if you are from a third world country this may be a big next step.

I'll also add that I'm not necessarily surprised by Diehard's wife's experience but that this will improve a great deal over time. Look at LDS Business College or BYU-Idaho. Heck, even BYU-Provo was kind of a joke educationally as little as 30-40 years ago.

We weren’t surprised either, after all it’s the same system the ncaa cracked down on. And now they have a warning that no athletes can take the courses haha

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

I don’t know but I think the Pathways program is separate.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Friends, join me in stuffing the ballot box for "Amazing Grace" and "This Land is Your Land". Also, let's trim the fat of the super obscure hymns that tyrannical music leaders love to pick.

https://lds.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2m20pSAlCEcevVb

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Friends, join me in stuffing the ballot box for "Amazing Grace" and "This Land is Your Land". Also, let's trim the fat of the super obscure hymns that tyrannical music leaders love to pick.

Sorry, I put all my eggs in the “Come thou Font” basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Sorry, I put all my eggs in the “Come thou Font” basket.
    Come Thou Fount is a given. They've already said it's leading the voting. But "This Land is Your Land" has just one vote that I know of so far. Come on!
    Last edited by sancho; 05-13-2019 at 11:33 AM.

I'm kind of surprised they wouldn't put this behind the lds.org login... it may solicit some interesting responses being open to the public.

Or........just sing the ones you want and answer email/text during the others. Hey, as a former jock, I can't be bothered with choosing hymns.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I assume some of the LDS deep cuts are on the cutting block. I'm in favor of nixing "If you could hie to Kolob".

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I assume some of the LDS deep cuts are on the cutting block. I'm in favor of nixing "If you could hie to Kolob".
    That's an "all or nothing" hymn. If you don't sing all verses, it doesn't make any sense at all.

That's an "all or nothing" hymn. If you don't sing all verses, it doesn't make any sense at all.
    My vote is nothing. Least favorite hymn of all time - mostly for the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    My vote is nothing. Least favorite hymn of all time - mostly for the music.
    For the music? That makes no sense. The lyrics are baffling, but the music is fine. It's a borrowed tune that many Christian hymns share.

For the music? That makes no sense. The lyrics are baffling, but the music is fine. It's a borrowed tune that many Christian hymns share.

isn't Kolob sort of fringe doctrine at best? it seems like the last 25 years or so, they are trying to stay away from these.

It is a trudging along tune compounded by the lyrics. There are no words that you could put to that music to make it good.

I’m cool with This Land Is Your Land so long as we get to sing all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I’m cool with This Land Is Your Land so long as we get to sing all of it.

I've always loved the "no trespassing" verse.

How about “Old Time Religion?”

Give me that old-time religion
    It's good enough for me

It was good for our mothers
    And it's good enough for me

It has served our fathers

Makes me love everybody
    Makes me love everybody
    Makes me love everybody

It will take us all to heaven

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I considered "We Shall Overcome" in addition to "This Land", but I figured one hippy folk song was enough.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of current primary songs get added to the new hymn book

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of current primary songs get added to the new hymn book
    Some of my favorite songs are primary songs.

--Yeats

isn't Kolob sort of fringe doctrine at best? it seems like the last 25 years or so, they are trying to stay away from these.
    I love that song. Keep Mormonism weird!

I think all the songs in the soundtrack of O Brother Where Art Thou should be included. Man of Constant Sorrow lyrics may not fit well, but it definitely has a hymn-sounding title.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I love that song. Keep Mormonism weird!
    you probably also like personal accounts of 3 Nephite Stories in the church news and in testimony meetings

you probably also like personal accounts of 3 Nephite Stories in the church news and in testimony meetings
    Along with stories of the Sons of Helaman protecting the [insert favorite temple here] temple from the Satan’s minions!

Along with stories of the Sons of Helaman protecting the [insert favorite temple here] temple from the Satan’s minions!
    John the Beloved pops up now and then too, so don't forget him.

--Yeats

So many excellent gospel songs, especially those with a bluesy bent. For example, the 1930's Blind Willie Johnson song, John the Revelator. You tell me that your standard issue ward meeting wouldn't be so boring if some of the gospel music was imported. Imagine your ward organist playing some of the hammond organ parts on these types of songs.

Despite this guy’s LDS-sounding name, he is not at BYU.

Religious Faith and the Family: An Interview with Dr. W. Bradford Wilcox

https://quillette.com/2019/05/23/rel...adford-wilcox/

--Yeats

A Believer Thread

I don’t really care about this issue at all, so I am just posting this to inflame SU and others here. Call me a troll, but I’m a friendly troll and full of love for those whom I am trolling.

Yes world, there were horses in Native culture before the settlers came

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...k-3ka-IBqNWiQ/

Also, since this information resulted from the work of a non-LDS Native American scholar, anyone who questions it is probably a racist.

--Yeats