Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Larry Krystkowiak Thread

The Larry Krystkowiak Thread

This is a side view of the basketball center, viewed from the Huntsman Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

New contract announced for Larry. Runs through 2022/23 season, $2.4 Million per year per a Bill Riley tweet

"Off the court, Utah had four players named to the Pac-12 All-Academic teams this year, the most of any school in the conference. Jeremy Olsen and Brandon Taylor were first-team selections, giving the Utes nine honorees over the last two years--also tops in the league."

Not bad.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    New contract announced for Larry. Runs through 2022/23 season, $2.4 Million per year per a Bill Riley tweet
    Hope his staff all get a bump too.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Hope his staff all get a bump too.
    I assume that is why TC is not head coach at USU right now.

On a completely irrelevant note, I had a weird dream that LK was named AD as CH's replacement, and LK built a huge combined football/basketball stadium/arena that didn't suck like the one we played Duke in.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I assume that is why TC is not head coach at USU right now.

On a completely irrelevant note, I had a weird dream that LK was named AD as CH's replacement, and LK built a huge combined football/basketball stadium/arena that didn't suck like the one we played Duke in.
    If Tommy wanted to be a HC at USU badly enough, he would've taken whatever offer they gave him. It has nothing to do with any potential raise at Utah. Our lead assistant will never be paid as much as a HC in a league like the MWC.

Attachment 1444

Toured new BB facility last week
    WOW.
    Attached (I hope) is a picture out Larry's window. He is on top SW corner. Balcony runs all along that side--accessible by each coaches office. then LK has his own private balcony on south side. (Women's coach has same thing down 1 floor).
    Roof (per LK's request) has pavers & planters around the edges. View in each direction except north.
    Men's gym on entrance level (entrance from the east will be Hall of fame & will be really nice) is huge. Has some natural lighting. has a balcony to watch practice.
    weight rooms, tubs, locker room etc will all be state of the art.

it is to be done this fall. If I was Jakob I would wait a year just to hang out in this place.

Attachment 1445

It worked--here is a portion of men's practice gym--hard to gauge how big it is--look at the equipment

Attachment 1446

last one--view on the roof looking south/east

Awesome stuff! Thanks for posting!

The Fire Larry Krystkowiak Thread

With the news that Jayce Johnson is on his way out, I’m officially done. All that’s left is for us to not make the NCAAs next year, and this failed experiment will be over with.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    With the news that Jayce Johnson is on his way out, I’m officially done. All that’s left is for us to not make the NCAAs next year, and this failed experiment will be over with.
    If true, you are right.

There's no way for us to verify, right? We just have to wait?

We are not making the tournament next year, not without Headband Jayce. This is really devastating.

I have almost zero faith in Larry Krystkowiak any more.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I join you in being officially done.

Cool. Who here is kicking in for the buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Cool. Who here is kicking in for the buyout.
    The buyout means nothing. If it's his time to go, we can figure it out.

I hate that Jayce is (maybe) leaving. Why would he go?

1) He's graduating and just wants a new setting?
    2) He has a girlfriend in CA?
    3) He blames Larry for his own shortcomings as a player?
    4) He doesn't have close friends on the team?
    5) He knows Thione will take all his playing time next year?
    6) He bought into the media silliness that tells him he's a victim and is owed something more.

My guess is #1, but it doesn't matter. We can fire Larry, and we will be frustrated as the next coach also has players transfer out. This new transfer/free agency era of college sports stinks. It's what the media demanded for years, and they didn't care if it made the game worse. And they just keep demanding that the sports become more and more like professional leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

6) He bought into the media silliness that tells him he's a victim and is owed something more.

My guess is #1, but it doesn't matter. We can fire Larry, and we will be frustrated as the next coach also has players transfer out. This new transfer/free agency era of college sports stinks. It's what the media demanded for years, and they didn't care if it made the game worse. And they just keep demanding that the sports become more and more like professional leagues.
    Not sure I agree with your first paragraph, but agreed on the final.

I don’t care what about any transfer/free agency era; I want guys with character like I saw in this Final Four. I’ve seen guys like that in Utah’s past programs. Guys like that don’t transfer, whatever the fashion. If Johnson had that kind of character, and he saw that if he stayed he could be a crucial piece of something big and transcendent, he’d stay. Transfers are happening (1) among guys that don’t expect to be very important in the current program, and (2) among foundering programs. Our objective should be to get out of that pitiful circle, which, granted, comprises more than half of DI schools. We should aspire to more.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

https://twitter.com/JacobCHatch/stat...140493825?s=19
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Not sure I agree with your first paragraph, but agreed on the final.
    A program that truly cares finds a way to fire a dead duck coach. I know we are a football school now, but I think we still care enough about basketball to not let a buyout get in our way. I'm not saying Larry has to go; I'm saying that if he does need to go, we will be able to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Alex Markham, who as Pat correctly pointed out on twitter is clearly tweeting out, probably almost verbatim, what the staff wants him to say, said that even though he is in the transfer portal, Jayce may end up coming back.

Just so everybody can hate me more than you already do, here is my attempt at seeing the positive here.

-Roster was imbalanced toward the bigs. With two roster spots, perhaps the staff looks to bring in a juco and a grad transfer guard. That would make the roster more "perfectly balanced, as all things should be."
    -Thioune, MVK, and Carlsen all get more of an opportunity to play and show what they can do as the team builds for success down the road (I can feel the eyeroll from here and i get it, im just trying to see any positives here)

Yeah...........so theres that.

A possible #7--Larry was hard on Jaycee to bring out the best in him, and Jaycee didn't like it. Maybe one of Larry's problems is that he doesn't adjust his style to different personalities. I think this has been suggested before. Matures was able to get away with it because the team results were so good, and he had assistants who propped a kid up.
    Who knows. Players have changed and Larry hasn't. His position certainly isn't as stable with a new athletic director.
    Utah's tradition is certainly gone. Look at the coaches since Pimm left. All disappointments, except for the Majerus golden era. And some questioned Majerus--someone who had only two years of college head coaching experience.
    Looking at an experience of four out of five bad hires isn't promising. And we kind of lucked out on the fifth, spectacularly.
    Last edited by Irving Washington; 04-09-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Moreover, if this is an epidemic, we don’t experience the benefit, unlike the football team. We have a net talent drain over the years. We should want a coach who uses the transfer market to improve, and is not depleted by it. Increased fluidity is as much opportunity as challenge. But only the fittest coaches survive.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    A possible #7--Larry was hard on Jaycee to bring out the best in him, and Jaycee didn't like it. Maybe one of Larry's problems is that he doesn't adjust his style to different personalities. I think this has been suggested before. Matures was able to get away with it because the team results were so good, and he had assistants who propped a kid up.
    Who knows. Players have changed and Larry hasn't.
    Yeah, maybe. Larry certainly doesn't berate his players during games like many other coaches we see, but maybe he's too tough in practice or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Moreover, if this is an epidemic, we don’t experience the benefit, unlike the football team. We have a net talent drain over the years. We should want a coach who uses the transfer market to improve, and is not depleted by it. Increased fluidity is as much opportunity as challenge. But only the fittest coaches survive.
    not even remotely true - here are some of Utah's transfers IN - Justin Bibbins, Delon Wright, Gabe Bealer, Chris Reyes, Sedrick Barefield, David Collette, Tyler Rawson, Dallin Bachynski

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I gotta hand it to you. It takes something special to be this wrong. Its absolutely marvelous.

Yeah, maybe. Larry certainly doesn't berate his players during games like many other coaches we see, but maybe he's too tough in practice or something.
    I have been to a number of practices, Larry is not tough on the players in practice. Tommy Connor has a big role at practices.
    Who knows why the Headband wants to leave, but it is not because he has been berated by the coaches.

I am probably the only one who thinks players should have more freedom in leaving, everyone else can change colleges, jobs, etc. when things change or they are unhappy—why not college athletes? I think if they put in 2 years then they can leave with no penalty, no sitting out.
    Coaches can leave with no penalty.
    Then a person like Chris Hart in FB or Poopola (sp?) in BB who just is not good enough can move on & have a chance to play right away at a different level.

As to Jayce maybe he got sick of all of us groaning when he went to the free throw line. He is kind of a goof ball, but is smart & really works at BB. Maybe he realized the end is near—-no BB future for him & wants to move to where he will live after he finishes next year.

If/when he leaves I wish him well & good luck.