Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Hybrid View

I watched the Phantom Thread over the weekend. Daniel Day Lewis is an underrated actor, he was superb. Its a movie about a women's fashion designer, which surprisingly, I enjoyed. Very well done, except the ending is a little strange. It's rated R for 4 or 5 F words

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Daniel Day Lewis is an underrated actor, he was superb.
    He has been nominated for five best actor academy awards and won three. He is not underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    He has been nominated for five best actor academy awards and won three. He is not underrated.
    maybe he should have won all 5

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    maybe he should have won all 5
    I have been doing a DDL resrospective on the treadmill the past couple of weeks. First Lincoln, and now My Left Foot. He is unbelievably good. I really want to go back and watch Unbearable Lightness of Being and In the Name of the Father, but they are not available (for free anyway) on Netflix or Amazon. Neither is There Will be Blood. Dont know if Gangs of NY is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have been doing a DDL resrospective on the treadmill the past couple of weeks. First Lincoln, and now My Left Foot. He is unbelievably good. I really want to go back and watch Unbearable Lightness of Being and In the Name of the Father, but they are not available (for free anyway) on Netflix or Amazon. Neither is There Will be Blood. Dont know if Gangs of NY is worth it.
    There will be blood must have just recently dropped off netflix or amazon prime (can't remember which I watched it on, but I think it was netflix about 2 weeks ago). Amazing performance by him. Gangs of New York is a great, but rough movie too.

"I take your milkshake and drink it up!"

There will be blood was dropped from netflix.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-22-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think he's a pretty good chameleon in terms of look and accent.
    No one will ever play Lincoln again without being compared to DDL. That was uncanny.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    No one will ever play Lincoln again without being compared to DDL. That was uncanny.
    Obviously nobody knows what Lincoln sounded like. In the movies, you get the Henry Fonda, Raymond Massey or even Sam Waterston baritone. But all his contemporaries said Lincoln had a high-pitched, shrill, tinny voice, which was incongruous with his 6'4" frame. I read somewhere that the high-pitch and shrillness was the reason his voice carried at Gettysburg.

Anyway, that was what DDL captured, which really was amazing, as you both say.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Obviously nobody knows what Lincoln sounded like. In the movies, you get the Henry Fonda, Raymond Massey or even Sam Waterston baritone. But all his contemporaries said Lincoln had a high-pitched, shrill, tinny voice, which was incongruous with his 6'4" frame. I read somewhere that the high-pitch and shrillness was the reason his voice carried at Gettysburg.

Anyway, that was what DDL captured, which really was amazing, as you both say.
    We have Patton on film, he sounded nothing like George C. Scott, having a higher-pitched voice.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant