Thread: If Not Arizona, Then a Land Not Too Far Away: Utah vs. Arizona and Arizona St.

Hybrid View

I’m just wondering. I couldn’t see the ASU game because of a business dinner. I’ve now read the news reports and listened to Riley, Soto and LK on the post-game show. We obviously pulled off a thrilling OT win. But...that was apparently in spite of yet another end-of-game meltdown by the Utes. I don’t want to be a glass-half-empty guy; just wondering about the tendency of Larry’s teams to lose their poise in crunch time. We’ve seen that throughout his tenure. Am I being too hard on them and him? Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m just wondering. I couldn’t see the ASU game because of a business dinner. I’ve now read the news reports and listened to Riley, Soto and LK on the post-game show. We obviously pulled off a thrilling OT win. But...that was apparently in spite of yet another end-of-game meltdown by the Utes. I don’t want to be a glass-half-empty guy; just wondering about the tendency of Larry’s teams to lose their poise in crunch time. We’ve seen that throughout his tenure. Am I being too hard on them and him? Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?
    We greatly missed Justin Bibbins in the overtime. We ended the game with turnover, turnover, turnover, 0-2 free throws, 1-2 free throws. But I also don't think we got lucky either. For as much as we were discombobulated on offense, we really were dialed in on defense. Thats just my 1/50 of a dollar though.

It was both. Dave Collette missed two free throws that gave ASU another chance, but ASU also had some serious breaks go their way, not the least of which was Bibbins fouling out. There was a sequence where ASU missed a three, missed the putback, Micky Mitchell got it, took about 7 steps that weren't called. So, the short answer is yes, there was a bit of a meltdown, but in that atmosphere in that situation against that team, it is still a solid win. Now, Larry was trying to call timeout on the Barefield miss...which when he launched it there was about 2.5 seconds left, so I'm not sure what he thought he was going to draw up in that scenario.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?
    yes

a bit of both, we did everything possible to give this game away (PVD, Collette), but some heroic performances by Barefield, Jayce pulled this out. Additionally ASU missed a ton of layups and open three's.

Was this a gutty win or did we just get lucky?

"It doesn't make any sense, Admiral.
    Yamamoto had everything going for him, power, experience, confidence... Were we better than the Japanese, or just luckier?"

Attached Images Attached Images
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Loved all the post game comments that AZ St should have fouled, whereas Hurley was telling them to back off—not foul.
    Hope local press calls him out.

If Not Arizona, Then a Land Not Too Far Away: Utah vs. Arizona and Arizona St.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree with the others. Little of both. I also think we tend to remember the melt downs and tend to forget the times we solidly close games out.

At any rate, a road win against a ranked team is something to celebrate, regardless of how the last few minutes played out.
    Oh, I agree. I love the the win. I still think Larry needs to get better at preparing his players for crunch time, and at managing those final seconds. It’s just not a place where he excels. He said on the postgame show that he was trying to call time out before Barefield’s shot at the end of regulation but couldn’t get anyone’s attention. That’s not reassuring.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-27-2018 at 11:05 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Alkins apparently not playing due to a foot injury.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Ouch...so far.