Thread: The 2018 Utah Classic Thread

Hybrid View

Snafu,
    I don't know that too many people are saying Larry should go but don't you get a little worried at the lack of an identity for basketball under Larry? I was so excited following the first two seasons because they played hard and they played together. I haven't seen enough consistency in that regard. It is not the culture even though Larry likes to say it is. This team is young but you can insist on playing hard and playing together even as you're developing. Speaking of development, I don't see a commitment to player development (I'm a broken record on this one). I worry that Larry's staff isn't a player-friendly staff. I don't mean that they should be lenient and buddy-buddy, I mean that they should have the players' development and team development first and foremost in their minds. I don't see a Jeff Judkins on this staff. Given the emphasis that is growing on player development in the NBA, I would think universities who have to rely on two, three and four-year players (not one-and-dones) would be realizing the need for development. All Larry has to do is look down the road to see one of the best franchises right now in the NBA at development. I do realize this is easier said than done. A coach has to get a team ready to play one or two teams a week throughout the season. That leaves very little time for skill development given the academic commitment players need to have. Player commitment to development is paramount but a coaching staff ought to be very engaged with student athletes in this space. I look no further than Jayce Johnson at the free throw line to see there is a gap.

On the local front, it's time for Larry to embrace playing all of the local teams. Alternating home games with BYU and USU should be happening every year. I've heard UVU, Weber and SUU are willing to come to SLC every season. Play two of those three every season. It seems to me we need to bring a stronger care factor back to the program about being the big Dawg in the state. BYU really wanted this game today. Utah did not.
    Last edited by Utebiquitous; 12-08-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Snafu,
    I don't know that too many people are saying Larry should go but don't you get a little worried at the lack of an identity for basketball under Larry? I was so excited following the first two seasons because they played hard and they played together. I haven't seen enough consistency in that regard. It is not the culture even though Larry likes to say it is. This team is young but you can insist on playing hard and playing together even as you're developing. Speaking of development, I don't see a commitment to player development (I'm a broken record on this one). I worry that Larry's staff isn't a player-friendly staff. I don't mean that they should be lenient and buddy-buddy, I mean that they should have the players' development and team development first and foremost in their minds. I don't see a Jeff Judkins on this staff. Given the emphasis that is growing on player development in the NBA, I would think universities who have to rely on two, three and four-year players (not one-and-dones) would be realizing the need for development. All Larry has to do is look down the road to see one of the best franchises right now in the NBA at development. I do realize this is easier said than done. A coach has to get a team ready to play one or two teams a week throughout the season. That leaves very little time for skill development given the academic commitment players need to have. Player commitment to development is paramount but a coaching staff ought to be very engaged with student athletes in this space. I look no further than Jayce Johnson at the free throw line to see there is a gap.

On the local front, it's time for Larry to embrace playing all of the local teams. Alternating home games with BYU and USU should be happening every year. I've heard UVU, Weber and SUU are willing to come to SLC every season. Play two of those three every season. It seems to me we need to bring a stronger care factor back to the program about being the big Dawg in the state. BYU really wanted this game today. Utah did not.
    'biq,
    All of those points are valid concerns. It's disappointing to see a four star kid like JJ that isn't more developed after three years in the program. I was certainly expecting a better start to this season than what we are seeing. As others have said, I think this team lacks leadership on the floor. It's pretty clear that Barefield is not going to be that guy for us. He will get hot on a few nights and disappear for the rest. Tillman doesn't appear to be that guy. Which leaves a bunch of true freshman that need time to figure things out. Hopefully sooner than later. If Larry can't get things figured out for next year with the talent coming in than I think we will need to look at making a change.

I worry that Larry's staff isn't a player-friendly staff.

I have heard several people say this is a big problem with this staff--LK has no Jeff Judkins, as RM did.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I worry that Larry's staff isn't a player-friendly staff.

I have heard several people say this is a big problem with this staff--LK has no Jeff Judkins, as RM did.
    This is pretty much common knowledge at this point, isn't it? Maybe DeMarlo is that guy. I've heard little about Tommy or Andy to believe they are.

I was really down on the staff in the time between the Gonzaga and Boise State flameouts. Then they went out and got two great classes, and I stopped worrying about them. But seriously, how many coaching staffs stay intact for as long as Larry's has? I would say very few. You're telling me that none of our guys has had a chance to step out and lead their own program? If they haven't, what's that say about them as coaches?

Also, for all the talk about K's salary, people forget Tommy is one of the highest-paid assistants in the country. I think there needs to be a shakeup of some kind and get some fresh blood in the program. I'm not talking about firing Larry -- finances dictate he gets through the 2019-20 season at the very least (His contract absolutely should be restructured). But something different has to be done. We're stale.

The money we're pouring into the program -- from the facility to salaries -- it's ridiculous what we're getting on the floor right now.

Seton Hall just knocked off our next opponent, Kentucky, in OT. (UK doesn't look like their typical roster of McDonald's AAs, but they're definitely talented).

In other news, JoJo Zamora is having an impact at New Mexico State and went for 27 vs UNM. (That was the Devon Daniels blowup season, right?)

I don't know what the situation was with Vante Hendrix, but he unquestionably looked like one of our most talented players.

Larry has found a way to have the team play better by February, but given his salary, it seems like we shouldn't have rebuild years of this level of struggling. We had Bibbins bail us out last year, but with much higher level talent coming in, I thought we might be a bubble team, maybe make another run in the NIT.

When we were getting spanked today, I had the thought this might be Harlan's first serious issue.

Something's not quite right, it feels.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 12-08-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Sancho,
    I don't agree with this neither does Kuzma. He liked playing here but he felt under-developed. I know this second hand from an insider who spoke with Kyle. I didn't believe Kyle would be second-round draft choice let alone a first rounder who looks like he'll be in the NBA a long time. Kyle's development came immediately following the U preparing for the draft. I'm not saying player development is easy given all of the aspects of coaching. I am saying Utah needs to be better at it.