Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

For less important stuff (status conferences, etc.) I just appear telephonically (which I usually did before anyway). If it's more important I will fly down or make an associate go, if an associate is up to speed. That said, I really don't have that many court appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    For less important stuff (status conferences, etc.) I just appear telephonically (which I usually did before anyway). If it's more important I will fly down or make an associate go, if an associate is up to speed. That said, I really don't have that many court appearances.
    When I practiced law, I was located in SLC, but about 25% of my work was in California even though our firm had an Irvine office. Most of the SLC office clients preferred to pay my SLC rate and for travel and expenses than pay the rate our California lawyers billed, which on average, was about $100 per hour more.

2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I spend a lot of time in Salt Lake because our kids are there and we have a place there. When I am in SLC I telecommute. We think now and then about moving to SLC permanently, and me commuting to LA weekly, but my presence in the office on a regular basis is still necessary, and I’m not ready to accept the wear and tear on my body from flying Southwest back and forth to SoCal twice a week. I know people who do that, however. When the time comes for me to slow down, I will probably move to Salt Lake and do arbitrator and hearing officer work, which will require occasional trips to Southern California. We’re going to hang on to some property here too, so we can get away in the winter time. The cold is one thing for which my endurance has faded. Living with it for a week or two once a year is fine, but for several months? I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    We visited my parents in SLC last week, and I believe I have had my fill for a while.
    I could not take the traffic. But I do miss the mountains. They are glorious.

It was nice seeing the UBoyz billboards up around town.
    There are mountains here???

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I spend a lot of time in Salt Lake because our kids are there and we have a place there. When I am in SLC I telecommute. We think now and then about moving to SLC permanently, and me commuting to LA weekly, but my presence in the office on a regular basis is still necessary, and I’m not ready to accept the wear and tear on my body from flying Southwest back and forth to SoCal twice a week. I know people who do that, however. When the time comes for me to slow down, I will probably move to Salt Lake and do arbitrator and hearing officer work, which will require occasional trips to Southern California. We’re going to hang on to some property here too, so we can get away in the winter time. The cold is one thing for which my endurance has faded. Living with it for a week or two once a year is fine, but for several months? I don’t think so.

After 25 years away we were very apprehensive to return, but, I could go on forever about how great it is to be back -- in so many ways. Plug your nose and jump. I don't think you'll regret it.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    After 25 years away we were very apprehensive to return, but, I could go on forever about how great it is to be back -- in so many ways. Plug your nose and jump. I don't think you'll regret it.
    That's what I did. Hey, may be we should have a get-together for all the Mecca returnees and UB5vers.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    That's what I did. Hey, may be we should have a get-together for all the Mecca returnees and UB5vers.
    We have done that in the past. It’s probably time to do it again.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

An interesting prospect for Ute fans to keep an eye on is right here in our own backyard with SLCC's Kur Kuath.

The 6'9 soph. is averaging 12 points, 4 blocks 1 steal and 8 boards in around 22 minutes a night. He has a 7'5 wingspan. He has offers from all the local schools plus Oklahoma among others.

Biggest drawback is that he weighs 185 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    An interesting prospect for Ute fans to keep an eye on is right here in our own backyard with SLCC's Kur Kuath.

The 6'9 soph. is averaging 12 points, 4 blocks 1 steal and 8 boards in around 22 minutes a night. He has a 7'5 wingspan. He has offers from all the local schools plus Oklahoma among others.

He seems like a little bit of a project, but he's a project that has a ton of upside which is a far cry from other projects Utah has had recently coughJoklcough.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post

I checked his highlights and was unimpressed (but what do I know?). Seems very long but all the highlight blocks are against guys that are not leapers and he doesn't get very high either. Plus I hate highlights that feature long 2 pointers. Don't people know that those are the worst shots in basketball? Who cares if he can make those?

Kuath has committed to Oklahoma.

Per 247, we have just offered 6'6, 200 wing Matthew Meredith from Germany.

Naseem Gaskin got pop.

We will be getting a visit on February 9 from Lahat Thioune. 6'11, long athletic rim protector/rebounder. His 247 profile shows an offer from Louisville but I suspect that's an "offer" and not an "Offer".

It looks like Charles Jones has been suspended indefinitely, for a violation of team rules. I hope that this isn’t a warning of future problems.

http://magicvalley.com/sports/colleg...932534918.html

Reefer Madness strikes again.

On a happier note Timmy "Buckets" Allen had 42 points & 17 rebounds in a recent HS game.

reported elsewhere that

Lahat Thione---7 footer from FLA will be at the Stanford game on an official visit.

Should be interesting to hear how the Muss chant his name.?!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    reported elsewhere that

Lahat Thione---7 footer from FLA will be at the Stanford game on an official visit.

Should be interesting to hear how the Muss chant his name.?!

Lahat & his father were at game last night.

Tall (had some great looking flood pants on) & thin. He was sitting next to Larry's sons. Hard to tell how he was reacting. I don't think he heard the MUSS chanting we want Lahat--too bad.

His dad was wearing Ute gear--for what that is worth.
    Demarco Slocum appeared to be in charge of their visit.

Lahat & his father were at game last night.

Tall (had some great looking flood pants on) & thin. He was sitting next to Larry's sons. Hard to tell how he was reacting. I don't think he heard the MUSS chanting we want Lahat--too bad.

His dad was wearing Ute gear--for what that is worth.
    Demarco Slocum appeared to be in charge of their visit.
    where are those seats? Are they in the first rows on the courtside opposite the benches (i.e., behind you), where recruits usually sit? Or are they behind the bench.

The MUSS was so small last night I don think anyone could have heard the chant.

BTW, saw a couple of tweets that they expect him to commit--maybe this afternoon.
    Last edited by concerned; 02-09-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Seats are across from benches, 1st row of permanent seats.

He committed;

I guess Jakub is czeching out?

Seats are across from benches, 1st row of permanent seats.

He committed;

I guess Jakub is czeching out?
    Is this the complete list of new players for next year:

Doutrive (6'5" SG)
    Thioune (7' C)
    Riley Battin (6'9" PF)
    Tim Allen (6'7" SF)
    Naseem Gaskin (6'3" SG)

Add those to Barefield (SG), Tillman (SF), PVD (SG), Caldwell (SG), Seeley (PF), Johnson (C), Popoola (PG?)

That's 12 - am I missing someone? Still room for Jokl?

Lots of hope for the newcomers. We need a few of them to work out.

Who's the PG?

You missed Charles Jones II JUCO from So Idaho. PG.

You missed Charles Jones II JUCO from So Idaho. PG.
    Oh thanks.

So...

PG: Jones
    SG: Doutrive/Gaskin starts with Barefield in his 6th man role.
    SF: Tillman, then Allen
    PF: Battin, then Seeley
    C: Johnson, then Thioune

Looks like I'm starting 2 freshmen.

Lahat seems like a potentially great get.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...-114944590/Amp

Last edited by LA Ute; 02-09-2018 at 07:40 PM.

--Yeats

This is looking more like a sweet 16 (and beyond) team. What a huge recruiting class!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    This is looking more like a sweet 16 (and beyond) team. What a huge recruiting class!
    As a Duke fan for the past 15 years, I am wary of recruiting rankings. So many top recruits turn into stars, but just as many disappoint. There's just no way to know what will happen.

The basketball blue bloods compensate with volume.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Oh thanks.

So...

PG: Jones
    SG: Doutrive/Gaskin starts with Barefield in his 6th man role.
    SF: Tillman, then Allen
    PF: Battin, then Seeley
    C: Johnson, then Thioune

Looks like I'm starting 2 freshmen.
    PVD will (justifiably) play a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    PVD will (justifiably) play a lot.
    Probably, but that does depend on Jones, gaskin, and doutrive. We seem to have a lot of SGs but few PGs.