Thread: Misc. Food Thread

Misc. Food Thread

We are vacationing in Canada, and I was trying to explain Poutine to my wife. She doesn't get it, and won't try it. Then we found these. I couldn't quite pull the trigger to spend 3 Loonies to try them.

image.jpg
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    We are vacationing in Canada, and I was trying to explain Poutine to my wife. She doesn't get it, and won't try it. Then we found these. I couldn't quite pull the trigger to spend 3 Loonies to try them.

image.jpg
    I lived in Québec for my 2 year sabbatical. My first companion made poutine. Following my parents advice/commandment to try everything I dutifully ate the meal. I haven't had poutine since. Unfortunately for me, Jay from Modern Family, wasn't around.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ekzaRINoe0I
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

When open The Annex in Salt Lake has delicious poutine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    When open The Annex in Salt Lake has delicious poutine

I love Epics beers, but have never been to the annex.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I love Epics beers, but have never been to the annex.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    It's currently closed. Apparently the chef quit and took some of the staff so they're starting over.

I really was enjoying this last chefs food, it'll be interesting to see what they do. They've not gone the brew pub trend instead having much higher end food, not sure if they'll keep that or not.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Anyone here tried Blue Apron?
    Experiences?

The recipes look a little complex, and neither of like to cook much....
    So it looks a little daunting...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Anyone here tried Blue Apron?
    Experiences?

The recipes look a little complex, and neither of like to cook much....
    So it looks a little daunting...
    If you like bland food, blue apron is for you.

Tipping at restaurants is becoming too complex for my simple mind. In Italy its offensive to tip, because that fee was already included in the price of the meal. In Spain, it’s not required to tip and if you do, no more than 10%. France just 5%. In the U.S. I’ve always tipped on a sliding scale between 10-20% (10% for bad service, 20% for great service). My Father who has never given a penny more than 10% to anyone his entire life taught me my restaurant etiquette, and then my wife fixed me.

However, am I being a cheap bastard when I order take out, drive to pick it up myself and then don’t tip? I’ve always believed that if you are waiting on me, bringing me food/drink you deserve additional compensation. If I’m doing most of that myself, should I tip?

Someone who subscribes to Maxim or GQ help a brother out, what is the proper etiquette for picking up food (tip or no)?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Tipping at restaurants is becoming too complex for my simple mind. In Italy its offensive to tip, because that fee was already included in the price of the meal. In Spain, it’s not required to tip and if you do, no more than 10%. France just 5%. In the U.S. I’ve always tipped on a sliding scale between 10-20% (10% for bad service, 20% for great service). My Father who has never given a penny more than 10% to anyone his entire life taught me my restaurant etiquette, and then my wife fixed me.

However, am I being a cheap bastard when I order take out, drive to pick it up myself and then don’t tip? I’ve always believed that if you are waiting on me, bringing me food/drink you deserve additional compensation. If I’m doing most of that myself, should I tip?

Someone who subscribes to Maxim or GQ help a brother out, what is the proper etiquette for picking up food (tip or no)?
    I think you are fine not tipping on takeout, but i only subscribe to the Family Handyman.

I don't know proper etiquette, but I usually don't tip for carry out. Where they get you is when the credit card reader makes you select a tip amount before you sign. You can select 15%, 18%, 20% or "other". I have a hard time not picking 15% in that situation, even though I'd like to pick 0%.

For takeout, I'll usually tip around 10% if it is a locally owned, small restaurant. I won't tip if it is from a national chain.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I've never worked in food services but my wife has and she has a different point of view on tipping on take out. Depending on the restaurant it is usually the bartender, hostess or an assigned waiter who manages all of the takeout. She hated those assignments because you were usually covering your job while also doing takeout orders, which meant that you weren't serving people or making money like you normally would. So, yes you aren't getting the same amount of service, but that person helping you also isn't earning tips otherwise, so it stinks for them.

Because of that we've always tipped on takeout (only on restaurants where they have servers, if the place is basically just a drive thru, then I usually don't tip). I've found too that when you do tip a full amount that often they'll brighten up and give you stuff like a free dessert or whatever. (That would also indicate that most people probably don't tip on takeout).

The other thing that my wife was good to point out to me is to watch and see if your server is slammed or if the restaurant is overbooked. Of course the service slips, which is not really the server's fault, but then coupled with working like crazy they also make less money. So I try not to ding them for that either. I usually tip 20+%, but I also don't usually go to expensive restaurants so the difference between 15% and 20% isn't much. the '+' is because I'm too lazy and round up.

Finally, and this one cracks me up, but the first time she was bussing tables at a restaurant she dropped a tub of plates in the middle of the restaurant and was mortified. After all the wait staff came up and congratulated her because they said people are usually sympathetic and will tip more when they see that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The other thing that my wife was good to point out to me is to watch and see if your server is slammed or if the restaurant is overbooked. Of course the service slips, which is not really the server's fault, but then coupled with working like crazy they also make less money. So I try not to ding them for that either. I usually tip 20+%, but I also don't usually go to expensive restaurants so the difference between 15% and 20% isn't much. the '+' is because I'm too lazy and round up.
    I waited tables for years (after busing and hosting, think I started busing when I was 15), so I am a pretty good tipper (usually a bit over 20%, would only go under that if the service is pretty bad). One small correction - when the servers are super busy, the service slips a little, and their tips suffer, they are not making less money because the "being busy" means that they have more tables, so in my experience even if the average tip amount drops a little bit you still make more due to volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I waited tables for years (after busing and hosting, think I started busing when I was 15), so I am a pretty good tipper (usually a bit over 20%, would only go under that if the service is pretty bad). One small correction - when the servers are super busy, the service slips a little, and their tips suffer, they are not making less money because the "being busy" means that they have more tables, so in my experience even if the average tip amount drops a little bit you still make more due to volume.
    You are right, I guess I'm talking about effort vs tip amounts.

the only thing that could make these more seductive is if they were tucked under Kate Beckingsale's lingerie draw string.

Damn you Nabisco! So far I've avoided these at the grocery store, but I'm starting to feel a bit like King David watching Bathsheba towel off. Anyone tired these yet?

Damn you Nabisco! So far I've avoided these at the grocery store, but I'm starting to feel a bit like King David watching Bathsheba towel off. Anyone tired these yet?
    Don't do it, scorcho! Stay strong! Think wholesome thoughts about brocolli.

the only thing that could make these more seductive is if they were tucked under Kate Beckingsale's lingerie draw string.

I quit eating processed sugar almost two years ago - which was basically crack for me. I consumed an embarrassing amount of it. After going through literal withdrawals and a couple months under my belt for the most part I haven't missed it. Once in a while I'll see something sugary that looks good to me that makes me want to make an exception, and I would have thought something like this might be it... but no.

Be strong. You can do it.

I quit eating processed sugar almost two years ago - which was basically crack for me. I consumed an embarrassing amount of it. After going through literal withdrawals and a couple months under my belt for the most part I haven't missed it. Once in a while I'll see something sugary that looks good to me that makes me want to make an exception, and I would have thought something like this might be it... but no.

I can't relate to that, but I have become a sugar snob. My wife bakes well, and I bake pretty good pies. I have a hard time getting excited about store bought sugary goods because of that.

...that said, I would eat Nutter Butters right now if I had them. I'm bored at work.

Kate Beckingsale in lingerie though....
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Kate Beckingsale in lingerie before Pete Davidson though....
    FIFY

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 03-05-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    FIFY

I was talking to the teenaged boys at church and asked them the #1 thing that makes a man attractive to a woman. After they named all the wrong things I said, "Wrong - it is confidence. Ask any woman. Also, that understanding will help you answer the question you'll ask yourself many times, 'How did a guy who looks like that land a woman like that?'"

I'll add this relationship to my stockpile of evidence.

I was talking to the teenaged boys at church and asked them the #1 thing that makes a man attractive to a woman. After they named all the wrong things I said, "Wrong - it is confidence. Ask any woman. Also, that understanding will help you answer the question you'll ask yourself many times, 'How did a guy who looks like that land a woman like that?'"

I'll add this relationship to my stockpile of evidence.
    and sense of humor is no. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    and sense of humor is no. 2.
    Which leads to one of the greatest Arrested Development lines of all time: Is she funny or something?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gUaAbsGbz2w?start=80
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 03-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.