Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Saw The Amazing Spiderman 2 last night. I was never a comics kind of kid growing up. So for a "purist" type review you'll have to find it else where. Some of the Spiderman dialog was pretty cheesy, though I'm told that that's the way Spiderman is. It is a cool movie visually. There didn't seem to be a huge build up to an epic final battle. It seemed to just happen. Electro is kind of a cool villain. The Green Goblin just seems to show up. Anyways the movie over all is worth a fun night at the picture shows but don't expect any awards from it.

On a whim we saw "Heaven Is for Real." Evangelical Christians might like it. As for me, I want those two hours of my life back.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Saw noah last night. Probably my favorite movie in the last couple of years. Completely brilliant.
    no doubt it was a strange adaptation of the story, but very enjoyable

I somehow missed "The Road to Perdition." Wife and I watched it last weekend. We liked it, especially the cinematography. It's beautifully shot and the story pulled us both in.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Watched the Lego Movie last night with the family. "Everything is Awesome!" It was a fun show, the kids loved it.

I know that it is old, but I watched "Das Boot" over the weekend on Netflix. It was 3 1/2 hours long but went by rather quick. It was a good show. You actually felt sorry for the Germans (at least those soldiers).

We just watched Fruitvale Station. I really liked it, but mostly because it felt like a docu-drama since I was living in S.F. when the shooting happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Saw "Draft Day" last night with my wife and daughter, and absolutely loved it. The script is good and the story is well-told. I was engaged throughout the movie. I'm a little surprised it hasn't done better, but not everyone likes a sports movie. It will do well in the online/DVD market. Anyway, highly recommended.

watched this last night, pretty entertaining movie. Costner and Leery were both very good.

Who knew you could make a movie about the NFL Draft, I bet that was a difficult pitch to studios?

We saw Malefacent over the weekend at the drive-in. The kids enjoyed it. Nobody thought it was too scary. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. they really didn't develop any of the characters other than Malefacent. It really seems like the movie should have gone another 10-20 minutes to allow for the other characters to have some growth, and make it a little better film.

We didn't stay the double feature, Million Dollar Arm. Didn't took interesting enough to stay awake for.

Not a movie I recently saw, but interesting just the same:

43 Inconceivable Facts About “The Princess Bride” You Probably Never Knew

--Yeats

Transformers - Terrible. One of the worst movies I have ever sat through.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Transformers - Terrible. One of the worst movies I have ever sat through.
    I don't recall exactly how I got roped into seeing that one but I agree 100%. I wanted those two hours of my life back.

--Yeats

I don't recall exactly how I got roped into seeing that one but I agree 100%. I wanted those two hours of my life back.
    3 hours. The new one is almost 3....I assume it was so bad you blacked out and thus don't remember the extra hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    3 hours. The new one is almost 3....I assume it was so bad you blacked out and thus don't remember the extra hour.
    This was a few years ago, maybe about 2009. Megan Fox was in it, and I remember that even after being dragged face-down through the desert sands she'd jump back to her feet in full makeup. I'll never get near another Transformers movie again. Next to the final Terminator movie it was the worst movie I've ever see (as far as I can recall - I may have blocked some out of my memory).

--Yeats

This was a few years ago, maybe about 2009. Megan Fox was in it, and I remember that even after being dragged face-down through the desert sands she'd jump back to her feet in full makeup. I'll never get near another Transformers movie again. Next to the final Terminator movie it was the worst movie I've ever see (as far as I can recall - I may have blocked some out of my memory).
    Pretty sure Uteopia was referring to the one just released a week ago

Pretty sure Uteopia was referring to the one just released a week ago
    It's possible that the one he saw was worse than the one I saw. I'll never know!

--Yeats

It's possible that the one he saw was worse than the one I saw. I'll never know!
    I've seen the previous 3...and this one is supposed to be far worse

Edge of Tomorrow - I loathe Tom Cruise movies but this one was surprisingly good. Imagine Groundhog Day set to a future war with aliens. On a scale of See in Full Price in Theaters to Skip Past on TV, I give it a See Full Price in Theaters.

The scale I operate off:

See In Theater Full Price
    See In Theater Matinee Price
    See At Buck Flicks
    Rent (now iTunes or Amazon)
    Redbox
    Netflix
    Pause to Watch to Next Commercial on TV
    Skip Past on TV

IMHO 90% of movies are buck flicks and below.

"The Last Movie You Saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This statement makes no sense. All he does is make entertaining action movies.
    Tom Cruise plays one character... Tom Cruise. He was pretty understated in his acting this time, making you forget on occasion that you are watching Tom Cruise.

Also, any time he attempts to laugh, throw something or run it pretty much destroys the movie.

Case in point: Top Gun. He throws Goose's dog tags into the ocean at the end and pretty much through one awful throwing motion makes you not believe he ever could be an elite level Navy pilot.

In short, he did none of these things in this movie, well except a chuckle at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Also, any time he attempts to laugh, throw something or run it pretty much destroys the movie.
    I love a good Tom Cruise, high-intensity running scene - or playing beach volleyball in jeans.

Last night I watched "Arbitrage" with everyone's favorite Buddhist, Richard Gere. On RockerUte's scale, I'd say it is a solid redbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Last night I watched "Arbitrage" with everyone's favorite Buddhist, Richard Gere. On RockerUte's scale, I'd say it is a solid redbox.
    It is pretty bad.

--Yeats

I love a good Tom Cruise, high-intensity running scene - or playing beach volleyball in jeans.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/TXGCGZa8YkE?autoplay=1

"Brethren it is the second to last Sunday of the month... If you haven't set up your home teaching visits yet please do so..." - Tom Cruise in the movie Cocktail

It is pretty bad.
    It was better than I had thought it would be. It kept my attention for two hours.

It was better than I had thought it would be. It kept my attention for two hours.
    My daughter and I tried to watch it at Christmas time but gave up after about 20 minutes. Later, my wife and I randomly pulled it up via Netflix or Amazon Prime and pretty much enjoyed it as sort of a guilty pleasure. It's still a pretty bad flick.

--Yeats

Watched some really good ones on the plane yesterday:

Lone Survivor: Very well done movie.

Taxi Driver: Wow, I couldn't believe I'd never seen this before. It was fantastic. DeNiro was amazing. I hadn't seen a lot of young Jodie Foster, but the scene with DeNiro and Foster eating was something else. She can act.

Her: Very good writing. Pretty pointed analysis of relationships, and made me think a lot. I really liked it.

Grand Budapest Hotel: I was tried at this point, and I was falling asleep through bits. This was good, but not great.

Inside Llewyn Davis: Only saw 1/3 of it as the plane landed. )c: This looked really good. Will have to finish it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Watched some really good ones on the plane yesterday:

Lone Survivor: Very well done movie.

Taxi Driver: Wow, I couldn't believe I'd never seen this before. It was fantastic. DeNiro was amazing. I hadn't seen a lot of young Jodie Foster, but the scene with DeNiro and Foster eating was something else. She can act.

Her: Very good writing. Pretty pointed analysis of relationships, and made me think a lot. I really liked it.

Grand Budapest Hotel: I was tried at this point, and I was falling asleep through bits. This was good, but not great.

Inside Llewyn Davis: Only saw 1/3 of it as the plane landed. )c: This looked really good. Will have to finish it sometime.
    I loved "Her" and really, really liked "GBH." I was very unimpressed with Inside L.D., and I love the Cohen Bros. I thought the movie was beautifully shot, beautifully acted, and ultimately kind of boring.

I loved "Her" and really, really liked "GBH." I was very unimpressed with Inside L.D., and I love the Cohen Bros. I thought the movie was beautifully shot, beautifully acted, and ultimately kind of boring.
    Yes, I felt like I need to give GBH another shot when I'm not so tired. I really liked Moonrise Kingdom. I loved the music, the march-like drumming, the dialogue, and the camera angles. It seems like everything was shot at 90 degree angles. It was very distinctive visually.
    And for that matter, Her deserves another watch. I also didn't catch some of the quiet dialogue due to the crappy audio and noise of the airplane.

Edit: The one thing I didn't like about Lone Survivor was the scenes of them falling down the mountain. I'll never know what it's like to be a Seal, but those seemed a little unbelievable. At one point I started thinking about the scene in Hot Rod. I'm not sure how anyone survives something like that, but maybe Seals can.
    Last edited by Brian; 07-21-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yes, I felt like I need to give GBH another shot when I'm not so tired. I really liked Moonrise Kingdom. I loved the music, the march-like drumming, the dialogue, and the camera angles. It seems like everything was shot at 90 degree angles. It was very distinctive visually.
    And for that matter, Her deserves another watch. I also didn't catch some of the quiet dialogue due to the crappy audio and noise of the airplane.

Edit: The one thing I didn't like about Lone Survivor was the scenes of them falling down the mountain. I'll never know what it's like to be a Seal, but those seemed a little unbelievable. At one point I started thinking about the scene in Hot Rod. I'm not sure how anyone survives something like that, but maybe Seals can.
    Marcus Luttrell was on set for most of Lone Survivor and said that those falls were as close to what happened as they could achieve, but in reality the ones he lived through were likely worse.

If you haven't read the book you should. There are a few things they changed but the falls weren't one of those things.

Marcus Luttrell was on set for most of Lone Survivor and said that those falls were as close to what happened as they could achieve, but in reality the ones he lived through were likely worse.

If you haven't read the book you should. There are a few things they changed but the falls weren't one of those things.
    Interesting. Yes, if anyone can survive that, those guys can.

I bet it must have been very painful for Luttrell to relive those experiences cinematically. Especially the death of us buddies.