Thread: Country Roads

Hybrid View

One of my favorite rides is from Boise to Missoula. The ride from Boise to Grangeville is nice, it goes through beautiful McCall, and Hells Canyon is, umm, interesting. We took a rest near Hells Canyon, and I got this picture:

Just past Grangeville, you turn southeast and head into the canyon carved by the Clearwater River. At the beginning of the canyon, this sign gives you an idea of what is to come:

The next 99 miles are motorcycle nirvana. Fast, sweeping curves along the river. The road is smooth, and there is no traffic. You can smell the pine trees and river, hear the resonance of your exhaust, and feel yourself leaning deep into the turns. There are nicer and more scenic roads out there, but when we road this last summer, it was about as perfect as it could get.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    One of my favorite rides is from Boise to Missoula. The ride from Boise to Grangeville is nice, it goes through beautiful McCall, and Hells Canyon is, umm, interesting. We took a rest near Hells Canyon, and I got this picture:

Just past Grangeville, you turn southeast and head into the canyon carved by the Clearwater River. At the beginning of the canyon, this sign gives you an idea of what is to come:

The next 99 miles are motorcycle nirvana. Fast, sweeping curves along the river. The road is smooth, and there is no traffic. You can smell the pine trees and river, hear the resonance of your exhaust, and feel yourself leaning deep into the turns. There are nicer and more scenic roads out there, but when we road this last summer, it was about as perfect as it could get.

awesome pics. That is a great stretch of road. Makes me miss home!

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    awesome pics. That is a great stretch of road. Makes me miss home!
    Welcome FN!!
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Welcome FN!!
    You know I have to support my boy! I dig the new board...minus all the red!

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    You know I have to support my boy! I dig the new board...minus all the red!
    Couldn't do a Bronco's theme, sorry.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Banned
    Here are a few more pics from the Telluride area.

Looking down onto Telluride from above on Black Bear.

Here is an old Warn winch ad from 1975 showing the Black Bear switchbacks they way they used to be. They're still tight now (but not quite like this), and the drop over the edge is straight down... The trail today is not to be taken lightly or for the faint hearted... but back then it was only for the truly crazy.

Last edited by Devildog; 02-23-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added winch ad