Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Brendan wenzell, a 6'6 wing is on a visit. Recently let out of his loi with utep. Texas and I state also pushing.

Rayquan Evans is off the board. Committed to FSU. Tajzmel Sherman is likely headed to WVU, if you put stock in the 247 crystal ball.

Full list of transfers (so far): https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

631 names on that list.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Article on Wenzel said he only had 1 visit left--so maybe that is a good sign he came here (unless it is an unofficial); Sherman was scheduled to be at UWV this past weekend.

Sounds like Sherman is most likely headed to Morgantown. He'll announce his decision on Wednesday afternoon.

Wenzel might be a nice piece as a shooter but I'm not sure he's a high impact guy as a freshman. Utah desperately needs someone who can make an impact next year at both the SG and PG positions.

Utah is currently scheduled to have seven freshmen next year and could end up with as many as nine depending on how the next few weeks play out, which is a recipe for another disappointing season and a bunch more transfers in the next year or two.

Utah's path to improvement and pushing for an NCAA bid in 2020 was: 1) keep the core, 2) get a solid JC or grad transfer SG (Sherman was the target) and 3) get a good grad transfer PG. If they can convince Jayce to stay it is still possible to hit those three objectives, but I am not very optimistic on any of them. It's very possible that we go 0/3 on those points.

Wenzel is the caliber of player you sign to fill a roster spot after you have lost out on your first 3 or 4 options. The kid has the skill to shoot in high school, but pretty much on a tryout. He replaces Pop, who was the same.

So why in the hell arent we going after toolson? shoots 46% from the 3 and was wac POY. We need shooting. How is Wenzel any better than toolson?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    So why in the hell arent we going after toolson? shoots 46% from the 3 and was wac POY. We need shooting. How is Wenzel any better than toolson?
    Probably can't offer him the guaranteed playing time hes seeking

To be fair, I would prefer that the final 2 scholarships go to 1) Jayce Johnson and 2) a grad transfer point or combo guard who can hold down the fort for a year while Rylan gets used to D1 ball. I see Toolson as strictly a 2 guard (who cant defend much).

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if Wenzel has an "offer" and not an "Offer". Time will tell.

(Sorry for the excessive posts. The edit post button just automatically deletes my post while Im in Chrome.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    do we even know if a "Toolson" would be open to going to Utah? I assume with that surname, he's a Utah County kid, with some BYU family history and might not be open to joining the dark side?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    do we even know if a "Toolson" would be open to going to Utah? I assume with that surname, he's a Utah County kid, with some BYU family history and might not be open to joining the dark side?
    He left the Y for UVU. Word is he hates the Y and would never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He left the Y for UVU. Word is he hates the Y and would never go back.
    Yes, but now his coaches at UVU would be his coaches at BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Yes, but now his coaches at UVU would be his coaches at BYU.
    I get that but he is not going back apparently

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Probably can't offer him the guaranteed playing time hes seeking
    Guarantee? Really? That's what has been discussed? The fact that our coaches engage in a discussion like that with a player is pretty awful. The fact they can't finesse that kind of a question from a young man they really need so that they get him is pathetic. This player was honorable mention All-American and we won't recruit him because of perceived expectations about playing time? The whole scene makes me want to vomit. Our coaches are weak. They're losers.

It's also an established fact that our coaches have terrible judgment in these situations.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Didn't Kennth Ogbe tear it up for UVU as well? Toolson may be great, but I don't want to read too much into stats out of Orem.

Plus, all season long, we've complained about the superior athleticism of our Pac-12 opponents. Toolson does nothing to help us there, right? Maybe Larry is too greedy and wants a SG with shooting and athleticism. Maybe he'll end up with neither.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Didn't Kennth Ogbe tear it up for UVU as well? Toolson may be great, but I don't want to read too much into stats out of Orem.

Plus, all season long, we've complained about the superior athleticism of our Pac-12 opponents. Toolson does nothing to help us there, right? Maybe Larry is too greedy and wants a SG with shooting and athleticism. Maybe he'll end up with neither.
    Do we have choices?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Do we have choices?
    I don't know. That's why I said we may end up with nothing. It looks more and more like Larry's future with us depends on one of the following things happening:

1. Rylan Jones is a stud from the start.
    2. Both Gach makes a sophomore leap for the ages.
    3. A transfer guard comes to save the day.

Guarantee? Really? That's what has been discussed? The fact that our coaches engage in a discussion like that with a player is pretty awful. The fact they can't finesse that kind of a question from a young man they really need so that they get him is pathetic. This player was honorable mention All-American and we won't recruit him because of perceived expectations about playing time? The whole scene makes me want to vomit. Our coaches are weak. They're losers.

It's also an established fact that our coaches have terrible judgment in these situations.
    It is simply glorious to me how far you are taking this fairy tale that I somehow work for the staff. It's kind of fun to watch someone fall off the wagon in real time.

It is simply glorious to me how far you are taking this fairy tale that I somehow work for the staff. It's kind of fun to watch someone fall off the wagon in real time.
    Whatever your connection to the team, you disclosed that they’re negotiating playing time guarantees with recruits.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Whatever your connection to the team, you disclosed that they’re negotiating playing time guarantees with recruits.
    They're also in discussions with the mon-stars. And Jimmy chitwood. And John dehlin.

On a serious note, adding Daniels should be a big help even if he can't recruit directly.

He likes to make up defamatory innuendo.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

They're also in discussions with the mon-stars. And Jimmy chitwood. And John dehlin.
    That’s really disappointing.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

That’s really disappointing.
    Yeah, if he lands Chitwood, the townspeople won’t be able to get him fired.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He likes to make up defamatory innuendo.
    Seattle has a bad case of LDS..........Larry Derangement Syndrome (Ill show myself out).

Seattle has a bad case of LDS..........Larry Derangement Syndrome (Ill show myself out).
    Seattle is the most LDS person I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taz Sherman to WVU.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Taz Sherman to WVU.
    I started seeing a couple of CB predictions of him to WVU and then the twitter folks weren't hyping his announcement at all, so i figured he wasn't coming here. Bummer. Would have been a nice get.

Brendan wenzell, a 6'6 wing is on a visit. Recently let out of his loi with utep. Texas and I state also pushing.
    Wenzell commits to the U.