Thread: My All-Time Utah Pure Assassin Team

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jackson came in second in voting for conference player of the year the last year he played for Majerus. And yet, Majerus chased him. Big Rick's reign on the Hill was clearly coming to an end at that time.

Jackson might be the most underrated player of all time to play at the U.
    From what I've heard, Jackson may have done more harm to the U's program than any other singular individual in the past 20 years. He was actively doing all that he could to create discontentment on the team, with recruits, with parents, boosters, etc. He decided that he was going to take Majerus down because Majerus didn't appreciate him enough, and he didn't care what impact that had on the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    From what I've heard, Jackson may have done more harm to the U's program than any other singular individual in the past 20 years. He was actively doing all that he could to create discontentment on the team, with recruits, with parents, boosters, etc. He decided that he was going to take Majerus down because Majerus didn't appreciate him enough, and he didn't care what impact that had on the program.
    I have to believe these rumors are exaggerated. Otherwise, why would a first-year coach in Giacoletti -- who would have had better knowledge of Jackson's past, as related to him by others close to the program -- bring back such a cancerous element into his locker room? Also, Jackson's play on the floor was hardly that of a me-first player.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    That's not what I heard. I heard he met with Majerus after the season and asked him to stop calling him a c***. Majerus responded by telling him that he was a c*** and to take a hike.

Jackson came back after one year and led us to the sweet sixteen with Bogut. I'm having a hard time believing he torched the program and then agreed to valiantly return a year later. I do know that Run DMC was not happy with him (but that likely had a lot more to do with the fact that Drisdom wanted Jackson's minutes than anything else).

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    That's not what I heard. I heard he met with Majerus after the season and asked him to stop calling him a c***. Majerus responded by telling him that he was a c*** and to take a hike.

Jackson came back after one year and led us to the sweet sixteen with Bogut. I'm having a hard time believing he torched the program and then agreed to valiantly return a year later. I do know that Run DMC was not happy with him (but that likely had a lot more to do with the fact that Drisdom wanted Jackson's minutes than anything else).
    Whatever. The global outpouring of love for Majerus when he died was stunning, and this 2013 St. Louis U. team is a monument to his genius. Meanwhile, all the wusses who hated him are forgotten except by us geeks.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Whatever. The global outpouring of love for Majerus when he died was stunning, and this 2013 St. Louis U. team is a monument to his genius. Meanwhile, all the wusses who hated him are forgotten except by us geeks.
    Nobody affiliated with the U. would ever question Maji's coaching acumen. He was brilliant.

But he had also worn out his welcome at Utah. Coaches are hired to be fired is a cliche, but it's also gospel truth. We wanted Rick to be our Lavell Edwards, but let's face it -- Rick could never be our Lavell. We're talking about two entirely different types of personalities. If that's "hating" Majerus, so be it. But I think most reasonable people see the conclusion I'm trying to draw at, and the departure of Jackson largely underscores that. When you start experiencing a talent drain in your program, you have to make a change at the top.

I'm a little surprised there is no mention of Luther "Ticky" Burden in this conversation. He averaged close to 30 points per game, and this was long before the 3 point arc. He played the game 30 feet from the hoop and filled it up every night.

In 1975, his junior year, he averaged 28.7 points per game and set the Western Athletic Conference record for field goals in a season with 359.
    He played only 3 years before departing to play pro ball, yet he is 5th in all time scoring for the U. I can't help but wonder what he may have done in 4 years, not to mention the number of points with 3 pointers in play.

His nickname is "Ticky" for the sound of nothing but net. Whenever the game was on the line, Ticky was absolute money. He was the go-to guy. I wish all of you could have seen him play in person as I did.

burden.jpg
    Last edited by San Diego Ute Fan; 03-19-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Ticky played before the tree point shot. He'd have averaged 40 ppg. (I think he was over 30 his last season.) I love that guy, with the red tassles on his shoes and how he'd spin the ball.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Ticky played before the tree point shot. He'd have averaged 40 ppg. (I think he was over 30 his last season.) I love that guy, with the red tassles on his shoes and how he'd spin the ball.
    Absolutely agree. He could create space on his own. He had the prettiest jump shot and most graceful ball spin I've ever seen. Anywhere.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    I'm a little surprised there is no mention of Luther "Ticky" Burden in this conversation. He averaged close to 30 points a game, and this was long before the 3 point arc. He played the game 30 feet from the hoop and filled it up every night.

He played only 3 years before departing to play pro ball, yet he is 5th in all time scoring for the U. I can't help but wonder what he may have done in 4 years, not to mention the number of points with 3 pointers in play.

His nickname is "Ticky" for the sound of nothing but net. Whenever the game was on the line, Ticky was absolute money. He was the go-to guy. I wish all of you could have seen him play in person as I did.

burden.jpg
    People forget about Ticky when buying into the Jimmermania.

*edit* Holy shit. Look at his arms. That guy is ripped!

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    And it was before steroids.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    People forget about Ticky when buying into the Jimmermania.

Ticky was jimmer with a 41" vertical jump. he was sick!

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    I'm a little surprised there is no mention of Luther "Ticky" Burden in this conversation. He averaged close to 30 points per game, and this was long before the 3 point arc. He played the game 30 feet from the hoop and filled it up every night.
    The game that was played in the 1970s isn't anything close to the game played since 1987. Not only was there no 3-point line, there was no shot clock either. That's not a knock against Ticky, who would be a fabulous player in any era. But for a statistical comparison's sake, it's unfair to take athletes from different eras and judge them against one another.

In starting this thread, Pat said he was only going from the begininning of the 3-point era. But I'd hate to forget a couple of deadly shooters I remember from the before the 3-point line from the mid 1980s -- Manny Hendrix and Kelvin Upshaw. Both had range and could have been deadly the 3-point line had existed in college at the time.

He was a basketball genius and I don't hate him. However, as he progressed at Utah he became more abusive to everyone around him and I think it's nearly impossible to refute that.

That doesn't change the fact that he was a basketball genius. I also have to think that the 2013 St. Louis team is indeed a reflection of him except that on ohffense, they are playing a lot looser than he would generally allow--really the best of all worlds.

I'm simply relaying the story I heard.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 03-19-2013 at 10:24 AM.