Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Delon Wright Thread

The Delon Wright Thread

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The player with whom Delon Wright invites the closest comparison is Andre Miller (flame away). Both point guards, neither a top shelf shooter in college, yet each capable of ripping a select mid-range jumper or even a trey, a potential for triple double any night, physically strong, posessing great court awareness, and great finishers. Right now Delon is not the assassin that Andre became, he doesn't look for scoring opportunities like Andre did his last season and a half. Andre's signature play: rebounding and going coast to coast for the hoop, faking a dish. Delon, get a little more selfish. Wright's advantage is that he is two inches taller than Andre.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Andre was also a lot more physical and stronger then Delon is at this point. Delon appears to be a great talent but if he is going to become a legit NBA 1st round draft pick, he needs to hit the weights and really work on his jump shot and outside shooting in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Andre was also a lot more physical and stronger then Delon is at this point.
    Delon looks pretty rocked out in that Trib photo. Nice v-shaped torso.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The player with whom Delon Wright invites the closest comparison is Andre Miller (flame away). Both point guards, neither a top shelf shooter in college, yet each capable of ripping a select mid-range jumper or even a trey, a potential for triple double any night, physically strong, posessing great court awareness, and great finishers. Right now Delon is not the assassin that Andre became, he doesn't look for scoring opportunities like Andre did his last season and a half. Andre's signature play: rebounding and going coast to coast for the hoop, faking a dish. Delon, get a little more selfish. Wright's advantage is that he is two inches taller than Andre.
    I think that's an apt comparison. Andre was stronger, but Wright can get stronger with some work in the weight room. The difference that I see is that Wright is quicker. Andre was deceptively quick in that he didn't rush bringing the ball up the floor, but when it was time to make a move to the rim, he left his man wondering what happened. Delon just moves smoothly and quickly all the time. He isn't in a rush, but he moves with and without the ball faster than Andre.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

I gave my son an unopened box of 1988 Donruss baseball cards for Christmas. He loved them and we've spent hours talking about my favorite players. As a result of that gift, every time this thread pops up, I think it's about Angels' player Devon White.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I gave my son an unopened box of 1988 Donruss baseball cards for Christmas. He loved them and we've spent hours talking about my favorite players. As a result of that gift, every time this thread pops up, I think it's about Angels' player Devon White.
    Damn that is a great gift. Maybe in a couple of years I will give my son my 1987 unopened fleer baseball card set.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Damn that is a great gift. Maybe in a couple of years I will give my son my 1987 unopened fleer baseball card set.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    1988 Donruss was $10 a box including shipping. 1987 Fleer and Donruss were considerably more expensive. And, and, 1987 Fleer was vulnerable to searching. There were whole cases that had zero Texas Rangers in them and no Bo Jackson cards. Caveat emptor. But, what a beautiful set. That Cory Snyder card alone was worth the price of a pack.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Check that out. It's probably worth getting and forgetting about until he's older. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Topps-D...item19e6ca91f9

Preach on brother! I'll make room on this band wagon. Its gonna be a fun ride!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The key for much of Utah's transition game is Wright getting defensive rebounds. He's averaging 6 defensive boards per game. Having a PG that can rebound and make good decisions with the basketball is a huge advantage. It was one of the main reasons Miller was so effective when he was at Utah. My guess is that BYU will commit fewer guys to the offensive glass in order to keep our transition game in check. That will help us counter those long-offensive-rebound-turned-into-3 that BYU tends to get since they shoot so many 3's.

On the former Cougaruteforum, there is a discussion going on about the best college player in the state of Utah. Delon is clearly the guy, in my most humble internet opinion.

But what are his NBA odds? Right now he is projected as a late first rounder/early second rounder if he hits the draft after his senior season. I think that's fair - he has one elite skill (finishing) and is NBA sufficient at rebounding, ball-handling, vision, defense. His obviously glaring flaw is his outside shot. If he can learn to shoot threes, even open ones, he becomes a potential late lottery pick, i would think. Shooting is hard to fix (Andre never learned to hit from outside), so I think he's probably a fringe NBA player/Europe guy.

He also seems to have a little trouble going to his left. I guess he could shoot 1,000 treys and 15-foot pull-up jumpers (each) daily all summer. That might help but he should've developed all that in his teens.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He also seems to have a little trouble going to his left. I guess he could shoot 1,000 treys and 15-foot pull-up jumpers (each) daily all summer. That might help but he should've developed all that in his teens.
    Players can learn to shoot. Jason Kidd was a terrible shooter out of college and now he's third all-time in 3 pointers made. He is no Ray Allen, but he could hit the open 3 by the time he was 30.

But a lot of players (Andre, every Jazz small forward in history) never improved as long distance shooters. The odds are definitely against him. Hopefully Kodiak can convince him that he'll learn to shoot as a senior.

Delon needs to learn to make them in games....he's lights out when no ones guarding him. Of course I'm lights out on the driving range too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    On the former Cougaruteforum, there is a discussion going on about the best college player in the state of Utah. Delon is clearly the guy.
    That would have to be a short discussion, right? Who else is even close to Delon?

Shooting is hard to fix (Andre never learned to hit from outside), so I think he's probably a fringe NBA player/Europe guy.
    Rondo still manages to be very valuable without an outside shot.

Unusually well-done article by Dirk Facer in Delon Wright:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ght-for-U.html

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Unusually well-done article by Dirk Facer in Delon Wright:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ght-for-U.html
    A couple of interesting tea leaves:

- Kodiak says that Delon doesn't have a singular exceptional talent, but does everything well. That seems like a direct knock on his NBA readiness: for the NBA they say you need to have one phenomenal skill, otherwise you turn into Marvin Williams.
    - Delon is very evasive about whether he will declare early or not. So is his brother. Bad vibes.
    - Interesting that Jared Dubois was so key in his recruitment.

I hope that he gets realistic evals of his draft stock at the end of the year. Some agent is going to get in his head about being a first round lock, which he is not right now.

I hope that he gets realistic evals of his draft stock at the end of the year. Some agent is going to get in his head about being a first round lock, which he is not right now.
    I think he'd go first round.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Last year, yes. Next year, probably. This year, probably not. This draft is too deep. You could argue that the top 5 picks from last year wouldn't even go top 10 this year.

Some agent will try to tell him he is a 1st round lock butt like Utah said, this year's draft is too deep. He would go in the mid to late second round which means no guaranteed contract. Most 2nd rounders end up in the developmental league or Europe.

If Delon needs the money, I can understand him leaving but with his brother being a 10 year NBA guy, I'm sure he would be okay working on his shot, getting stronger, and finishing his degree for one more year rather then toiling in the D-leagueworking on his jumper.

Time will tell but as good as Delon is, I think he needs to significantly improve his outside shot and strength to make an NBA roster.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's possible, but I think the depth of this year's draft hurts him. He's currently listed as the last pick of the first round in a number of 2015 mock drafts. It depends on who declares this year, but assuming all the top players do (there are rumors that Jabari and the big kid from Kansas might stick around) I think he's a fringe first rounder.

It's possible, but I think the depth of this year's draft hurts him. He's currently listed as the last pick of the first round in a number of 2015 mock drafts. It depends on who declares this year, but assuming all the top players do (there are rumors that Jabari and the big kid from Kansas might stick around) I think he's a fringe first rounder.
    Yeah, I've seen that too. I think he's undervalued now and that his stock would rise as more and more scouts look at him closely. When I look at other late first/early second round players, I have to think he would end up ahead after the scouting/workout season.

Plus, he is "old" for the NBA draft, so that might make him want to take his chances now.

Of course, I hope he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    If Delon needs the money, I can understand him leaving but with his brother being a 10 year NBA guy, I'm sure he would be okay working on his shot, getting stronger, and finishing his degree for one more year rather then toiling in the D-leagueworking on his jumper.
    I hadn't even considered the Dorrell angle. My guess is he'll listen to whatever Dorrell says over any agent.

There were two things mentioned by both Dorell and Delon in a recent article.

1) Dorell often wishes he'd had the 'college experience' and is a fan of Delon having it.

2) Both Dorell and Delon think his degree is important and want him to graduate.

Dorell actually said he's a fan of the changed rules that prohibit high school kids going straight to the nba.

I think Delon is a very good player but his offensive game is so one dimensional that it is hard for me to believe that he would be drafted in the first round. I don't pay much attention to the NBA recently, but it seems to me that a 6'5" 180 lb guy who can drive and distribute but has no outside shot and no pull-up shot off the dribble is not going to make it in the NBA for long.

Plus, I really want to see where this team can go next year.

These next two weeks are HUGE for Delon. A big run in the PAC-12 tourney and a couple wins in the tourney puts him in the first round.

These next few weeks will determine if he comes back or not.

Back when I followed the NBA players picked in the late first round or thereafter rarely even made the teams. Is that still true? This isn't the NFL.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    These next two weeks are HUGE for Delon. A big run in the PAC-12 tourney and a couple wins in the tourney puts him in the first round.

These next few weeks will determine if he comes back or not.
    I disagree. But I hope we get to test your theory.

Back when I followed the NBA players picked in the late first round or thereafter rarely even made the teams. Is that still true? This isn't the NFL.
    First round picks get guaranteed money for two years with a team option for the third. Second round picks aren't guaranteed anything, but the top 2nd rounders usually do make the team. The latter half of the second round is usually fringe prospects or Euros who can be stashed.

In general, people jump if they think they are guaranteed first rounders.

First round picks get guaranteed money for two years with a team option for the third. Second round picks aren't guaranteed anything, but the top 2nd rounders usually do make the team. The latter half of the second round is usually fringe prospects or Euros who can be stashed.

In general, people jump if they think they are guaranteed first rounders.
    Seems that if a player is straddling the first and second rounds this provides incentive to stay and try to climb into round 1 for sure.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo