Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fall Camp

2013 Fall Camp

There is discussion of camp going on in multiple threads, so I thought I would create a home for that discussion here.

The most interesting development out of day one is the news that Gionni (pronounced Johnny!) Paul has transferred from Miami. He is a junior and his eligibility from this year is uncertain due to Miami's situation. He would be a huge upgrade at LB - he started 7 games for the Hurricanes last year. He's not a superstar, but he is a step up from what we have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    There is discussion of camp going on in multiple threads, so I thought I would create a home for that discussion here.

The most interesting development out of day one is the news that Gionni (pronounced Johnny!) Paul has transferred from Miami. He is a junior and his eligibility from this year is uncertain due to Miami's situation. He would be a huge upgrade at LB - he started 7 games for the Hurricanes last year. He's not a superstar, but he is a step up from what we have right now.
    That sure sounds like a depressing indictment of what we have now.
    Last edited by concerned; 08-06-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    That sure sounds like a depressing indictment of what we have now.
    I know others on the board feel differently than I do on this but, what we have now at LB is a little depressing. Paul is a talented player. 61 tackles as a true soph last year at Miami and like Applejack said, he started 7 games for them.

Bill Riley is also saying that the earliest Tevin Carter will be expected in SLC will be 2 weeks from now. That is not good for the D. He was penciled in as a starter at SS prior to camp. It will be hard for him to catch up on all the learning he will miss during these first couple of weeks. I hope I am wrong, but I am going to go ahead and say that even if he gets to play, he won't make an impact. I really hope I am wrong with that statement.

I'm getting tired of relying on JC guys to come in and make an impact. I know Kyle has had success with this in the past, but I would much rather have a kid who has been in the program 2-4 years take over a position as a JR or SR. Let's hope the PAC-12 will allow us to recruit those kids as HS'ers instead of trying to plug those holes with JC kids with grade issues.

I don't get the Reshawn Hooker move. In his limited minutes last year, I saw potential for him to be a good LB, in fact, I thought he had the most talent of any of our LBs. He doesn't seem like he'll be a natural fit at safety, so this looks a little desperate. I hope I'm wrong, but the defensive backfield is looking really shady right now - we might get thrown on a lot.

I also hope the Andre Lewis injury is not serious - I'm not a big fan of Denham of Fitzgerald.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I don't get the Reshawn Hooker move. In his limited minutes last year, I saw potential for him to be a good LB, in fact, I thought he had the most talent of any of our LBs. He doesn't seem like he'll be a natural fit at safety, so this looks a little desperate. I hope I'm wrong, but the defensive backfield is looking really shady right now - we might get thrown on a lot.

I also hope the Andre Lewis injury is not serious - I'm not a big fan of Denham of Fitzgerald.
    I'm more than cool with the move, although I would agree that it's a response to a potential big concern -- the availability of Tevin Carter.

Re: Hooker. Think of what Steve Tate did for us in 2007. Now, the offenses in the MWC that year were positively neanderthal. But Tate was a beast in both defending the pass and stopping the run. He led the team in tackles with 63 solo stops and 103 total (10.5 for loss -- an astounding number for a safety). He had three picks and four pass break-ups while adding 2 sacks.

Tate was better vs. the run than Eric Weddle during his safety years, but not as good against the pass (You want goofy numbers, look at Eric's 2005 season). I think Hooker, provided he can get his assignments down -- and nobody studied film more than Weddle -- has the physical tools to be that rover-type safety who causes havoc all over the field. Regardless, we should be strong up the middle. I like this move.

2013 Fall Camp

I'm worried. In summer 2011 Kyle told a group of SoCal boosters that on D he was worried only about the safeties, but we'd be just fine if Keith McGill got into school. We all know how that worked out. It makes me nervous when our ability to be solid at a certain position depends on a single player, let alone one who's not even in school yet.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-07-2013 at 07:36 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Like with a Twinkie, the issues last year were around the edges, not in the middle. You'd have to have a bone in the middle of your brain or be an alumnus of Viewmont to not love the chemical substance that makes up the "cream" of the Twinkie. It goes in so smooth, and leaves an amazing aftertaste like you've just taken a shot of Lysol up the nose. However, anyone that can stomach the yellow sponge that wraps around the delightful center is in urgent need of tongue therapy. It's like a sweetened mutant sea cucumber. Gag me with a spoon.

I like the thought I've heard relayed from Whittingham that Utah matches up fine in the middle, now they need to match up on the edge. Reilly can do that up front, especially with his intact ACLs being a number greater than 1. I'm hoping the Nephew and NateO and Dimick and Palamo can play the edge. Having Hooker flying around in a hybrid role on the outside makes sense, especially if Blechen's knee joints are ground into a fine powder. This seems a pretty good way to limit the effectiveness of the mobile QBs on the schedule. Beef up front, lean speed on the outside, psycho athlete roaming around making plays, and solid dbs. Put Hooker out there, and let him go crazy.

I've been saying for years that what the D needs is a crazy Hooker, but I think you could say that about a lot of things.

Rowe is good. TME is not chopped liver. Chappuis is hot and sassy. I really think safety is gonna be fine, provided the LBs don't cause tears of embarrassment, feelings of shame, and questioning of the purpose of life.

I think the DTs will be much better than expected, corners will be solid, and safeties will be ok, provided those mouth breathers at LB can make it happen.

The O will be as good as the QB. The D will be as good as the LBs.

I agree that having rowe and TME at safety would be just fine. obviously carter makes us better and gives us more depth, but we will be fine either way here. I am also interested to see charles henderson and his development here too.

as for chappuis I hope he see's nothing but special teams play.

Well, it sounds like the career of Reshawn Hooker could very well be over. Third concussion. Sad development.

and now Dirk Facer is reporting that Carlos Lozano has quit. Honestly, that doesn't surprise me. Last year, it was the same thing......couldn't drop enough weight to play. He is either lazy or has a health issue. Ill give him the BOD here. Hope he can get his weight under control.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Well, it sounds like the career of Reshawn Hooker could very well be over. Third concussion. Sad development.
    This is a pisser. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    and now Dirk Facer is reporting that Carlos Lozano has quit. Honestly, that doesn't surprise me. Last year, it was the same thing......couldn't drop enough weight to play. He is either lazy or has a health issue. Ill give him the BOD here. Hope he can get his weight under control.
    I always looked forward to Lozano getting some live reps. 400 pound mountain comes trotting out, probably just polishing off a Big H, his girth pretty much filling the gap between him and the guard on his side. It would have been like the former sumo wrestler on the Replacements, only without all of the hilarious Asian humor.

Lozano gave hope to fat guys, at least for a year. I'll always love him for that.

Sad about Hooker. You hate to see kids lose eligibility due to injury. I just hope he is able to finish out his degree an have a good quality of life.

Somewhat happy about Lozano. Unless he has some family issue I am not aware of, it makes me think he felt like he couldn't compete with what we currently have. Which would be a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Sad about Hooker. You hate to see kids lose eligibility due to injury. I just hope he is able to finish out his degree an have a good quality of life.
    “@utahathletics: Sorry to lose So. LB Reshawn Hooker to multiple concussions, but we're proud he plans to stay at U & earn a degree. #utes #goutes”

glad he's going to take the opportunity to get his degree. he looked like a promising talent at LB for us. Not a happy development in any manner.

“@utahathletics: Sorry to lose So. LB Reshawn Hooker to multiple concussions, but we're proud he plans to stay at U & earn a degree. #utes #goutes”

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    Like with a Twinkie, the issues last year were around the edges, not in the middle. You'd have to have a bone in the middle of your brain or be an alumnus of Viewmont to not love the chemical substance that makes up the "cream" of the Twinkie. It goes in so smooth, and leaves an amazing aftertaste like you've just taken a shot of Lysol up the nose. However, anyone that can stomach the yellow sponge that wraps around the delightful center is in urgent need of tongue therapy. It's like a sweetened mutant sea cucumber. Gag me with a spoon.

I like the thought I've heard relayed from Whittingham that Utah matches up fine in the middle, now they need to match up on the edge. Reilly can do that up front, especially with his intact ACLs being a number greater than 1. I'm hoping the Nephew and NateO and Dimick and Palamo can play the edge. Having Hooker flying around in a hybrid role on the outside makes sense, especially if Blechen's knee joints are ground into a fine powder. This seems a pretty good way to limit the effectiveness of the mobile QBs on the schedule. Beef up front, lean speed on the outside, psycho athlete roaming around making plays, and solid dbs. Put Hooker out there, and let him go crazy.

I've been saying for years that what the D needs is a crazy Hooker, but I think you could say that about a lot of things.
    Heres what i took from this: Bountiful Braves are proud of liking cream in their mouth, and are not sponge (cake) worthy. "It goes in so smooth, and leaves an amazing aftertaste. . ." Yeesh, I'd rather stoop to be a WX Wildcat.

Sorry, i dont mean to lash out. just in a bad mood due to all the bad news out of camp today. Only the news of the BYU uniforms and the reactions of their fans is comforting me right now.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Apparently Bronco has backed off.

Coach Mendenhall @BYU_Football 10m Talked to my team tonite. They want to wear tradition spirit honor on jerseys for homecoming only. Last names for rest of the year.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Heres what i took from this: Bountiful Braves are proud of liking cream in their mouth, and are not sponge (cake) worthy. "It goes in so smooth, and leaves an amazing aftertaste. . ." Yeesh, I'd rather stoop to be a WX Wildcat.

Sorry, i dont mean to lash out. just in a bad mood due to all the bad news out of camp today. Only the news of the BYU uniforms and the reactions of their fans is comforting me right now.
    Come on, lumping all of us Bountiful Braves together is not necessary.

Be proud, at least you could get into Viewmont.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post

It has to be TWINKIE cream. Not just any random cream, and certainly nothing that originated organically. It must be created in a lab, have a half life of 6,000 years, and have a faint yet unmistakable aftertaste like Febreze. That's the kind of cream we discerning Braves would sell our children to gypsies for.

And I would rather attend a BYU Football fireside every Sunday for the rest of my life than be associated with the Woods Cross Woodchucks.

Yeah. What happened with that? I see they are going with the gimmicky jerseys, and now they have bailed.

They rarely change course on things. It seems like they would rather deal with the mocking rather than admit they were wrong at times. The Quest is a great example.

Why this time?

Yeah. What happened with that? I see they are going with the gimmicky jerseys, and now they have bailed.

They rarely change course on things. It seems like they would rather deal with the mocking rather than admit they were wrong at times. The Quest is a great example.

Why this time?
    I think Bronco simply gets carried away with the mission aspect of BYU football. Most of his goofy behavior stems from that, it seems to me.

--Yeats

Why this time?
    By all accounts his players were livid. He didn't tell any of them, just left the new nameless uniforms in their lockers for their photo day.

Apparently some high profile players were extremely upset.

It also didn't help that their entire fan base mocked the idea and went so far as to say "we should be laughed at for this"

Two medical retirements in two days is pretty awesome. These guys almost kill themselves getting ready to play, go through absolute hell, and then things end so fast. It's got to be brutal for them. Best to Moses and the crazy Hooker.

Keith McGill has a wing span of 81", and he's 6'3". That's not only impressive on the field, it's probably impressive in the pit. Hope the time in the pit is short. We need this guy. If Keith McGill can't go, however, I think we ought to look at Keith McCord. He may not have McGill's wingspan, but look at that mustache!!

24945320.jpg

Corners need crazy and confidence, and anyone that can own a mustache like that and be on TV for 30 years has plenty of crazy, and plenty of confidence.

I get the sense that Justin Thomas is looking at 4 years of starting. That's pretty rad.

Thretton Palamo is starting to get a little love. I encourage all of my Ute Brethren to not sleep on this guy. He's fast, he's filthy, and he has hair like Diana Ross. Do not sleep on this guy. Give him some Endless Love.

Davion Orphey's last name is pronounced or-FAY. I don't have anything else to say about this, other than a parfait may be the most delicious damn things on the planet.

Brandon Cox is going to see the field sooner rather than later. If Utah's going to run the hurry-up spread, he's the guy that can run the whole thing. Rich Rodriguez is kind of a goober, but he knows dual threat guys, and he liked BC.

I went up to Ruth's for breakfast this morning, because if you're going to have a 1,500 calorie breakfast and eventually die of heart disease, that's a pretty good place to start. Anyway, drove south on Guardsman as practice was starting, and saw some of the crew crossing the street. Felt like a stalker, and fully embraced it. I believe Fehoko and Filiaga currently have some sweet 'fros and orange hair. I'm not making this up. They look like the poly versions of the Greatest American Hero. This made me feel better about the LBs. Insane LBs often have to have something funky with their hair to get the mojo - mohawk, mustache, braided chest hair, shaved armpits, whatever. Fehoko and Filiaga definitely have the mojo.

Keith McGill has a wing span of 81", and he's 6'3". That's not only impressive on the field, it's probably impressive in the pit. Hope the time in the pit is short. We need this guy. If Keith McGill can't go, however, I think we ought to look at Keith McCord. He may not have McGill's wingspan, but look at that mustache!!

24945320.jpg

Corners need crazy and confidence, and anyone that can own a mustache like that and be on TV for 30 years has plenty of crazy, and plenty of confidence.

I get the sense that Justin Thomas is looking at 4 years of starting. That's pretty rad.
    Forget the stache, that rug on his head is more or less liquid confidence. He's operating on a whole nother level from the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Forget the stache, that rug on his head is more or less liquid confidence. He's operating on a whole nother level from the rest of us.
    Seriously, Keith McCord has a major Ron Burgundy going on. Take him off the teleprompter, and you never know what's going down:

Fearless. And Crazy. McGill better get out of the pit, stat.

BCS title game here we come...McCord for heisman campaign starts right now!!!

Two medical retirements in two days is pretty awesome. These guys almost kill themselves getting ready to play, go through absolute hell, and then things end so fast. It's got to be brutal for them. Best to Moses and the crazy Hooker.

Thretton Palamo is starting to get a little love. I encourage all of my Ute Brethren to not sleep on this guy. He's fast, he's filthy, and he has hair like Diana Ross. Do not sleep on this guy. Give him some Endless Love.

Davion Orphey's last name is pronounced or-FAY. I don't have anything else to say about this, other than a parfait may be the most delicious damn things on the planet.

Brandon Cox is going to see the field sooner rather than later. If Utah's going to run the hurry-up spread, he's the guy that can run the whole thing. Rich Rodriguez is kind of a goober, but he knows dual threat guys, and he liked BC.

I went up to Ruth's for breakfast this morning, because if you're going to have a 1,500 calorie breakfast and eventually die of heart disease, that's a pretty good place to start. Anyway, drove south on Guardsman as practice was starting, and saw some of the crew crossing the street. Felt like a stalker, and fully embraced it. I believe Fehoko and Filiaga currently have some sweet 'fros and orange hair. I'm not making this up. They look like the poly versions of the Greatest American Hero. This made me feel better about the LBs. Insane LBs often have to have something funky with their hair to get the mojo - mohawk, mustache, braided chest hair, shaved armpits, whatever. Fehoko and Filiaga definitely have the mojo.
    Can Diana Ross Palamo be a three time August MVP? That would be unprecedented.